The Daily for Wednesday August 25, 2021

richwmn

Good Evening.

It's been an interesting weather day here. Forecast was for a typical hot, humid day but with only a 15% chance of rain. Well, we just had a monster thunderstorm come through our neigborhood with winds over 55 MPH. We just got in from picking up things. Lots of potted plants, garbage pails, etc were all over the place.

Fortunately, no real damage but the wind really did howl for a while.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, CM1984 said:

Thank you for the welcome @Cruising-along!  I have always read these dailies, never posted, but now it is nice to read everything, for it seems like a "family posting Thread!"

My first park was Yellowstone, then moved east to be closer to family again.  I ended up retiring from George Washington Birthplace National Monument, Virginia - I was the one behind a desk making sure the Rangers and other employees got paid, got their supplies and a budget!  (Boring sometimes, but fun as well!)  Met many wonderful people.  Thanks for asking!

Mimi

I can't imagine any job in the parks being boring, and definitely think it could be fun as well. 🙂  Thank you for making sure those Rangers got paid, they all have a special place in my heart.  Here's a photo taken 2 years ago when my grandsons became Jr. Rangers in Yellowstone.  That's Ranger Stephanie with them, she was a jewel!

1275076509_RangerStephanie.thumb.jpg.6ecef2bd9cbae6dc7e4301f76ad12746.jpg

148488301_Jr.RangerFoster.thumb.jpg.891e48d5fcca83c7e5f578b0a2fb388b.jpg

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Lenda. Unfortunately, being "well educated" does not necessarily mean much. Some peopl;e are just very good a test taking and memorizing things. They often breeze through school but have no idea how to deal with the realities of life.When I was in graduate school I would often just shake my head at some who got straight A's but were complete basket cases.

No kidding!  Yesterday my neighbor (a retired nurse) told me about a doctor she worked with who recently died from Covid.  He not only refused to be vaccinated, he advised all his patients not to get it. 😞  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Lenda. Unfortunately, being "well educated" does not necessarily mean much. Some peopl;e are just very good a test taking and memorizing things. They often breeze through school but have no idea how to deal with the realities of life.When I was in graduate school I would often just shake my head at some who got straight A's but were complete basket cases. They learned how to take tests but never learned how to think.

That's very true.  The person I was referring  to is not only well educated, but normally knows how to deal with the realities of life.  For some reason, she and some of her neighbors got some crazy ideas about Covid and the vaccines.  The safest thing for our friendship is to just keep my mouth shut.  Some people you can't reason with.

Lenda 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

There seemed to be an interest in the actual menus as well as my choices and I will post those most every day.  Since 2014 Crystal has had sort of a 2 menu system.  There's a page of "Modern Cuisine" and a second page "Crystal Classics" which is more traditional fare.  I typically order from the Classic fare rather than the more exotic "Modern Selections".  Sometimes I will also have a separate "Vegetarian" page and a desert page.

Roy, thanks so much for the menu!  Do you have to only order from one of the two menus?  Or, can you mix and match?

Also, I was amazed at how many dessert selections there were.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I got the first upsell from our Verandah to Signature Suite on the 11th and jumped on that, then from the Signature Suite to the Neptune Suite on the 18th and of course really jumped quickly on that one.  Seems Wednesdays are their upsell offer days, at least in my case.  If you get one make sure to have everything ready, they don't chit chat like your TA does.  😉 

Well, today is Wednesday at the same point  you got the first one.  My inbox is empty, but there are a few hours left in the day.   We're happy where we are, but a little more real estate would be nice.

• Like 7

Just now, dfish said:

Well, today is Wednesday at the same point  you got the first one.  My inbox is empty, but there are a few hours left in the day.   We're happy where we are, but a little more real estate would be nice.

When I get upsell offers they are usually in the morning, our lunch time.

• Like 6

I've gotten them before and I've taken a few.   I just don't remember it all that well.  Last one was from an ocean view to a Lanai on my Iceland/Greenland cruise.  It was too cold to sit out on deck most of the time unless you had a mountain of blankets.  I preferred the warmth of the Crow's Nest.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Also it comes from the No-Reply @ hollandamerica . com email just in case it might have gotten in your junk/spam folder. 

• Like 5

Craig and I both had our rapid antigen covid testing at CVS at 1:00 pm our time (2 1/2 hours ago) and our results just came in as negative.  YAY!  All in all it was a very easy process.  The CVS isn't the closest one to us but it was still only 15 minutes away.  There was a little hut like thing with 3 spaces of parking next to it all marked as for Covid Testing Only.  The medical assistant came out and processed took vitals, temp and oxygen, and took our insurance cards.  When she came back with our cards she had the swab and instructed us on how to do the self test.  Once done we were free to leave given the instruction that results would be ready in about 2 hours.

Now our cruise feels really real!

• Like 20

Good evening all, I Hope Everyone had a great day. Another day of heat and humidity and 2 more days to go. I’m ready for some cool air.

I was in Talkeetna in 2001, no pictures, I remember walking around the town. 
I just might have to go for a banana split tonight.

Our brave young lifeguard had a further honor bestowed on him. The Governor of New Jersey has ordered all flags to be flown at half staff on Friday. 💔🙏

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Roy, thanks so much for the menu!  Do you have to only order from one of the two menus?  Or, can you mix and match?

Also, I was amazed at how many dessert selections there were.

Definitely mix and match.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hello all and thanks for the daily report.  I’m quite late today although I tried this morning only to experience a wonky website.  It’s always best to just kiss and make up. A banana split sounds wonderful, haven’t had one in years. I applaud the National Park Service founders, the best idea ever.  The dish sounds great, it’s nice to have yet a new use for cauliflower!  I have stayed in Talkeetna in 2018 for a flight seeing trip to Denali, an awe inspiring excursion for sure. We loved the town and it’s fun quirkiness, great eateries there.  I pray for everyone on our prayer list today and belated cheers to those of you celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 13

7 hours ago, atexsix said:

I think one of em told me about the Curiosity Shop mermaid 😁  I slowly backed out of the room after that one. 

Then you probably don’t want to stop at the Moqui Cave.

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Does anyone remember when I complained (sorry!) about the small plane that does loop de loops in our area?  It's been a while.  But this past week he has shown up 3 times to practice and the noise drives me nuts!  I understand the need to practice but could the guy go somewhere else once in a while?  That up and down droning noise is soooo annoying!  Also I worry sometime that plane is going to crash here and it scares me!

Rant over.😖

Is that even legal, over a populated area?

Maybe take a picture to get the tail number and call the local police dispatch?

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, remember yesterday you asked if my keyboard only went wonky on CC?  Nope, it is happening all over!  I just sent an email to a neighborhood acquaintance and didn't even get to put my name at the end because suddenly it just "sent" itself.  Sounds like a laptop problem, darn it!  Does anyone know what I might do to fix this issue?  Besides a new laptop I mean!😀

Does the system have enough resources? I’m assuming you are running Windows 10-which is a resource hog…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Besides a new laptop I mean!

I had the same issue yesterday with both my Apple laptop and my Dell Desktop.   I also had it briefly when I logged into CC this evening.  I do not think it is your Laptop.  I'm thinking there are still a couple of CC Gremlins out there that are playing with us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Then you probably don’t want to stop at the Moqui Cave.

Is that even legal, over a populated area?

Maybe take a picture to get the tail number and call the local police dispatch?

Does the system have enough resources? I’m assuming you are running Windows 10-which is a resource hog…

Actually I don't live in a city.  We are in a large Sun City development in a rural area.  The plane is never directly over my head but off in the distance a ways.  So chances are they are flying over wooded areas.  At least I hope so.  Can't get his number, though once I saw his plane in my binoculars and it seems to be a yellow bi-plane.  Can't be too many of them around here.

Now for Windows 10.  I think that's what I have.  (DH knows).   No idea if I have enough resources.  LOL!   But maybe I should try Edge instead of Chrome.  I have problems on another website on Chrome, but not Edge.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

I had the same issue yesterday with both my Apple laptop and my Dell Desktop.   I also had it briefly when I logged into CC this evening.  I do not think it is your Laptop.  I'm thinking there are still a couple of CC Gremlins out there that are playing with us.

I hope you're right!

• Like 2