Tamarind question(s)

saltshell

13 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes you can order multiple appetizers.  We've also done that (dinner of appetizers only) in the Pinnacle Grill.  I have never known the Tamarind to be open at lunch, but that may depend on the cruise -- it would be great IMO.

When the Tamarind first debut their was a complimentary lunch. Lunch has not been available for years. I believe it was hurting evening dining.

• Like 2

I’m on the Nieuw Amsterdam right now and we ate there last night. I had remembered eating lunch at Tamarind back in 2009 so I asked last night and was told that they are not open for lunch. 

Also, the two of us ordered 3 appetizers. I could have easily just had those as a meal. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

When the Tamarind first debut their was a complimentary lunch. Lunch has not been available for years. I believe it was hurting evening dining.

Tamarind's Dim Sum Lunch was amazing, I was enough to have done it a several times. They could have easily charged what they do for the Pinnacle lunch and I would have gladly paid this. That and the 5 Onion Soup in the Pinnacle at lunch time are sadly some of the items I truly miss.

• Like 3

When I sailed the Koningsdam the tamarind offered a Happy Hour special nearly every afternoon. It was $5 per person and you received a glass of wine and an appetizer plate.   Very nice and few attended.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

When I sailed the Koningsdam the tamarind offered a Happy Hour special nearly every afternoon. It was $5 per person and you received a glass of wine and an appetizer plate.   Very nice and few attended.  

Nice! I never saw this offered when we were on the K last Oct-November. Definitely would have been interested!

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes you can order multiple appetizers.  We've also done that (dinner of appetizers only) in the Pinnacle Grill.  I have never known the Tamarind to be open at lunch, but that may depend on the cruise -- it would be great IMO.

The Tamarind used to be open for lunch when the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, first launched but it ended after a few years.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It wasn't offered on out 8/14 NADM cruise.

5 hours ago, saltshell said:

Can I order multiple appetizers? Thinking of making a meal of appetizers only

I don't see why you would not be able to do so.  Such can be done at any land based restaurant.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

This sounds like the "Sip and Savor" events that I have experienced.  None were in the Tamarind, but were in either the Explorer's Lounge or the Pinnacle Bar. 

Those were nice events with the appetizers coming from the Pinnacle Grill.  Informative at times, depending on the Wine "Expert" leading the event.  

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This sounds like the "Sip and Savor" events that I have experienced.  None were in the Tamarind, but were in either the Explorer's Lounge or the Pinnacle Bar. 

Now that you mention it, that was it.  They were poorly attended but we went quite a few times for appetizers before dinner. Definitely a nice way to sample Tamarind food 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

...This sounds like the "Sip and Savor" events that I have experienced.  None were in the Tamarind, but were in either the Explorer's Lounge or the Pinnacle Bar. Those were nice events with the appetizers coming from the Pinnacle Grill....

The appetizers (food only) were even complimentary if requested. I remember a “Party Planner” after a craft session telling me to ask for an appetizer to take to my husband. Agree that it was nice to sample those excellent appetizers! 

Does anyone know if the Crow’s Nest or other lounges are still doing pre-dinner hors d’oeuvres upon request?

Edited by syesmar

36 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Agree! We always looked forward to it.

Did they have the Bento Box room service (for a fee) option on your recent cruise? Thanks!

Yes they were available.  I think they had a sushi option and a vegetarian option and I can't remember how much they were but it was reasonable (around $5 or so)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

The appetizers (food only) were even complimentary if requested. I remember a “Party Planner” after a craft session telling me to ask for an appetizer to take to my husband. Agree that it was nice to sample those excellent appetizers! 

Does anyone know if the Crow’s Nest or other lounges are still doing pre-dinner hors d’oeuvres upon request?

I honestly never knew hors d’oeuvres was a thing in the lounges!

2 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

Yes they were available.  I think they had a sushi option and a vegetarian option and I can't remember how much they were but it was reasonable (around $5 or so)

Bento Box  was $9.75 on my last cruise.  Here is the menu I have on file:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Bento-Box.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Crew News said:

Bento Box  was $9.75 on my last cruise.  Here is the menu I have on file:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Bento-Box.pdf

The contents of the box and the price were listed on the room service menu on the TV in the rooms so perhaps someone on the cruise now can take a photo of that and post it.  I didn't pay attention to the price, so I'm likely wrong with what I remember it to be but I know it wasn't over $10

14 hours ago, zgscl said:

On both of my 2019/2020 cruises, at the start of Happy Hour in the Ocean Bar, the bartenders would bring out platters of hors d'oeuvres.  3 or 4 of different types would  be on each platter and would be different each day.  Always, there were small containers of peanuts; once in a while, there would be mixed nuts offered.  If requested, Goldfish might also be available.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zgscl said:

Yes, we’ve enjoyed them since our first cruise, but haven’t cruised since the pandemic started. 

I see it’s still listed in the Know Before You Go FAQs under Shipboard Meals, so that’s good.

from: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

”In addition to breakfast, lunch and a multi-course dinner, you can enjoy afternoon tea, hearty salads, comfort classics, global cuisine, an ice cream bar, hot hors d’oeuvres during the cocktail hours, and the traditional late-night snack.”

On a number of cruises, we had to ask for them. On others, they were brought out.

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Yes, we’ve enjoyed them since our first cruise, but haven’t cruised since the pandemic started. 

I see it’s still listed in the Know Before You Go FAQs under Shipboard Meals, so that’s good.

from: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

”In addition to breakfast, lunch and a multi-course dinner, you can enjoy afternoon tea, hearty salads, comfort classics, global cuisine, an ice cream bar, hot hors d’oeuvres during the cocktail hours, and the traditional late-night snack.”

On a number of cruises, we had to ask for them. On others, they were brought out.

All the Best!

Thank you for this tip! I will have to check it out on my KDAM sailing in Nov if they still offer it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zgscl said:

Thank you for this tip! I will have to check it out on my KDAM sailing in Nov if they still offer it 

You’re welcome! If you are in the Crow’s Nest or other lounge and don’t see them being brought out, just ask. Sometimes they’ll give a later time when they’ll be offered, but often, they’ll make sure you get them then.

All the Best!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zgscl said:

On the Pinnacle Class ships the Grand Dutch Cafe has Dutch snacks in the afternoons...bitterballen, vlammetjes and cheese souffles, along with other great food. Last I sailed the K there were these and the bar noshes.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, flyrobinfly said:

On the Pinnacle Class ships the Grand Dutch Cafe has Dutch snacks in the afternoons...bitterballen, vlammetjes and cheese souffles, along with other great food. Last I sailed the K there were these and the bar noshes.

This is true, yet such Dutch "goodies" don't make an appearance during Happy Hour in the Ocean Bar.  I have enjoyed Bitterballen, but very, very rarely.  

The Grand Dutch Cafe is excellent for the purposes for which it was designed.  It is not a suitable Happy Hour venue, however, in my opinion.