Has swinging napkins overhead for dining room parade been disbanded?

Cruisinhopes

I'm not sure which is worse, a passenger twirling a used cloth napkin overhead, or a busser using a used cloth napkin to wipe of a table in the buffet before resetting it with mugs and tumblers placed upside down.

I have observed both in the past and don't care much for either.

• Haha 1

We eat in anytime dining on all cruise lines. I have only seen it in the past when we ate in traditional dining many years ago.  It's kind of difficult to have a desert parade when everyone is eating a different course at a different time in anytime dining. On our last cruise in 2019 on Royal Caribbean we were seated in the traditional dining room towards the end of first seating traditional because anytime was full and we had a reservation. They did have the napkin waving parade. We were just being served our appetizers while everyone else was finishing up. It was totally annoying the same way it was when I experienced it during the days of only traditional dining. 

• Like 1

I think we all know how covid is spread. You’re far more likely to catch it from someone you’re sitting near in the MDR for 2 hours every night than from someone twirling a napkin for a couple minutes one night. It’s extremely unlikely to catch covid from surfaces. Put on your mask for those few minuets if you’re really worried.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

I think we all know how covid is spread. You’re far more likely to catch it from someone you’re sitting near in the MDR for 2 hours every night than from someone twirling a napkin for a couple minutes one night. It’s extremely unlikely to catch covid from surfaces. Put on your mask for those few minuets if you’re really worried.  

People are speculating about the napkin swinging without anything to back up their claim(s)!

• Like 2

Actually, swinging the napkins helps to filter out the viruses in the air.  Just as effectively as wearing a cloth bandana as a mask filters out viruses.  In other words, it does no harm and does no good.  Do it if you like, or don't bother.  

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, Cruise Raider said:

They used to announce to wave your napkins in the air … this time they said, put your hands together to show the staff your appreciation.  

Interesting, every Princess cruise I have been on the Parade of Chefs has involved waving napkins banging anything to make a racket and cheering but now you are saying it has been replaced by a prayer meeting?

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I heard there will be an Ivermectin dispenser next to the hand sanitizer station.  Double protection. (sarcasm alert)

Will that be a double horse dose followed by a chaser of a cattle dose?

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was on the Majestic two weeks ago. There was not a baked Alaska parade in my dining room while I was there, but it could have been that we did not go until late. I'm fine with missing it. On my last pre-Covid cruise, it was very inconvenient. They dimmed the lights right after our waiter served our main courses.

Edited by geoherb

9 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Sorta lost interest when they started using fake baked Alaska

I mentioned the "fake Alaska" reality to a lady on a cruise and she took it like a little girl would take the "Father Christmas is just a made up story".  Please do not broadcast this about the battery operated replicas.

Regards John

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Isn't that the truth. All of the cruise lines have taken that step. I don't even bother to order that anymore.

Believe the change to eliminate actual flames was a fire concern. Is the baked Alaska also fake? I don't know. In any case always thought that the event, basically run to encourage excellent ratings, was very tacky. 

9 hours ago, skynight said:

Believe the change to eliminate actual flames was a fire concern. Is the baked Alaska also fake? I don't know. In any case always thought that the event, basically run to encourage excellent ratings, was very tacky. 

It's not the same quality that it was years ago and I don't think it has anything to do with not being  flambe. I miss all of those Flambe desserts that made cruising special.  

11 hours ago, skynight said:

I was told that once when the parade came to a halt, some waiter's flame was too close to a fire detector and set off the water sprinklers.  That was the end of the parades!

• Haha 1