Capri vs. Pompeii

Irishgirl1012

Agree with bennybear.  There is no right or wrong or better or worse.  It is simply a matter of your personal preferences about how you like to spend a port day.   If pushed to make a choice we would say both :).  

Hank

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

They’re totally different,  one is spectacular ancient history, the other breathtaking scenery.  
What’s more important is what are your interests?  

Exactly what I was going to say. In an ideal world you could do both as they are both extraordinary outings. 

For me, I'd always put Pompeii first -- but then I have traveled around the Med specifically seeking out Roman ruins. I've been there seven times and every time it is still equally thrilling and rewarding as they keep restoring and opening new areas. There is much more than you can see in a half day -- but I find that most "normal" people really only want about a 3-4 hour overview before eyes start glazing over...

I've also been to Capri three times and have done slightly different things each time. (Never yet have I done the famous blue grotto -- another time.)  There are ruins of several Roman villas on the island, as well as a skylift to Mt. Solara for views, two very touristy but still chic towns -- Capri and Anacapri -- with great restaurants and high-end resort shopping, a couple of quirky museums, lovely hiking, and more.

• Like 2

Unless you´re totally bored by old stones there is no regrets. Pompeii has a lot of history and is totally amazing with those mosaics and the paintings.

Capri is my favorite island and I´ve been there many times over the last 38 years. As cruisemom42 said there´s always something different to explore there. Until last year I´ve never been to the Blue Grotto. Last year we´ve been there on a small sailing yacht and one other family wanted to go there (although our Captain didn´t want to). So we stopped right in front of the site, took our dinghies to get to the row boats and under the current circumstances it was sort of totally empty there. I guess that´s been the best we could do as we will never see it like this. But anyway the Blue Grotto won´t be my first choice in Capri. So many other things to do!

steamboats

Pompeii was part of our tour when I was there in Aug 2019. It was a very full day (porting in Salerno) which included Pompeii, Sorrento and a scenic drive down the Amalfi Coast. I was so hoping to make it to Positano but we were short on time and didn't make it there.  We spent about 2 hours with our guide in Pompeii who gave us a general overview.  The view of Mount Vesuvius and picturing what it must have been like during that time was something to behold.  That being said, I am longing for the day I can make it back to beautiful Italy and try some different things. Positano and Capri would definitely be on the list.  But I also didn't leave going...darn, I wish I had done something else. So I think in your gut you are leaning towards one over the other, just trust it and enjoy it.

• 4 months later...

We have been to Sorrento several times, both on cruises and as land trips.  You do have time to do both.  Take the 8:30ish circumvesuvia train to Pompeii, download Rick Steve’s audio Europe app and use the audio guide, or hire a guide at the site.  The guides are 2 to 3 hours.  

You can take a train around noon back to Sorrento and catch the 1:00 or 1:30 or, if you want more time in Pompeii, even the 2:00 ferry to Capri.  It still gives you 3 or so hours on Capri.  Wander town, go to the gardens, take a taxi to the cable car, etc, then take the ferry back.  The ferry will return close to the tender dock.

The only problem is that you miss Positano, and Amalfi and Ravello…..  It seems that it is impossible to ever have enough time on the Amalfi coast.

I am in the small minority that really disliked my time on Capri!

Perhaps I would like it if I stayed there overnight after the tourists went home?

I was there in October and it was sooo crowdedmI could barely breathe!

I supposem8tmwill be less crowded in April but I really didn't see anything charming about it

I couldn't wait to l eave

Sorrento also seemed like more of an outpost of the Uk than an Italian town

On 9/12/2021 at 2:24 AM, steamboats said:

"Capri is my favorite island and I´ve been there many times over the last 38 years. As cruisemom42 said there´s always something different to explore there. Until last year I´ve never been to the Blue Grotto. Last year we´ve been there on a small sailing yacht and one other family wanted to go there (although our Captain didn´t want to). So we stopped right in front of the site, took our dinghies to get to the row boats and under the current circumstances it was sort of totally empty there. I guess that´s been the best we could do as we will never see it like this. But anyway the Blue Grotto won´t be my first choice in Capri. So many other things to do!

steamboats"

Can you make a recommendation for a tour once I take the ferry to Capri?  I have been trying to find a vendor or source.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, cruisemom42 said:

For me, I'd always put Pompeii first -- but then I have traveled around the Med specifically seeking out Roman ruins. I've been there seven times and every time it is still equally thrilling and rewarding as they keep restoring and opening new areas. There is much more than you can see in a half day -- but I find that most "normal" people really only want about a 3-4 hour overview before eyes start glazing over...

Just wondering if you knew if there were tours that took you to both Pompeii and the museum in Naples. Ours cruise is too far out to look for tours yet, but I know I'm going to really want to do both. Our port is Naples.

1 hour ago, kmerlin14 said:

Just wondering if you knew if there were tours that took you to both Pompeii and the museum in Naples. Ours cruise is too far out to look for tours yet, but I know I'm going to really want to do both. Our port is Naples.

Unfortunately most cruise lines do not seem to offer the two together. I guess they assume people will want to see a variety of different things. But I agree that Pompeii and the museum together make for a really nice complement to each other if you want to get closer to the "real" picture.

It is possible to do a half-day tour of Pompeii in the morning through the ship (if you want to do it that way) and then get to the Naples Archaeological Museum in the afternoon under your own steam -- there is a metro stop very near the port that will take you there, or you can just take a taxi.

For that matter, you can also get to Pompeii on your own fairly easily. Of course, this assumes that countries and cruise lines let passengers make their own arrangements ashore.

• Like 1