PLF ( Passenger Locater Form)

daveoc

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am constantly amazed by the number of people who come into our vaccine hub and make comments that make us realise that they are not aware that being double vaccinated doesn't mean that you are 100% safe from the virus. I think that the government need to be making this clear that you can still catch the virus and infect others. 

We tell everyone that comes in for their vaccine that they can still catch the virus and that they can still pass it on.  I think that we maybe over the top with our warnings, we tell them when they arrive, then we tell them when we fill in their personal details and then the vaccinated tell them when they are being actually vaccinated, We also give them an information sheet before they leave.

Josy, your info might be rather over the top  but anyone who has watched any TV coverage about covid, whether govt ones or any news or current affairs programme, cannot fail to have understood that vaccination does not guarantee you will not be infected, but it does significantly reduce your chances of getting covid, and reduces the likelihood of you being severely ill, hospitalised or dying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Josy, your info might be rather over the top  but anyone who has watched any TV coverage about covid, whether govt ones or any news or current affairs programme, cannot fail to have understood that vaccination does not guarantee you will not be infected, but it does significantly reduce your chances of getting covid, and reduces the likelihood of you being severely ill, hospitalised or dying.

Not the two men on the table next to me in Costa last week, both of whom had recovered from COVID. One said 'at least that is out of the way and we can get on with our lives'. I decided not to spoil their coffee morning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

Not the two men on the table next to me in Costa last week, both of whom had recovered from COVID. One said 'at least that is out of the way and we can get on with our lives'. I decided not to spoil their coffee morning.

You should have slipped in a comment that you're never fully protected by the flu jab, although maybe that might have been too complicated for them to grasp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question - my apologies if it isn't.

I'm very confused about the PLF and the various tests that have to be done (and purchased) on board and two days after returning home.

If I opt to stay on board for the entire cruise (I.e. not get off at any ports) would I still need to purchase the tests and complete the paperwork?

I suspect that the answer will be "yes" because I may have mixed with passengers who have been ashore.

It's all getting a bit too much for me and I'm very tempted to cancel the cruise or, more likely, postpone it until a later time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Cumference said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question - my apologies if it isn't.

I'm very confused about the PLF and the various tests that have to be done (and purchased) on board and two days after returning home.

If I opt to stay on board for the entire cruise (I.e. not get off at any ports) would I still need to purchase the tests and complete the paperwork?

I suspect that the answer will be "yes" because I may have mixed with passengers who have been ashore.

It's all getting a bit too much for me and I'm very tempted to cancel the cruise or, more likely, postpone it until a later time.

I must agree with you. I have three cruises booked between now and April 2022 and to be honest, it’s  becoming a logistical nightmare. I naively assumed that the cruise company would complete all the necessary paperwork under their ‘cruise with confidence’ banner. I sincerely hope that the 2 day tests are discontinued given the bad press and alleged none arrival of kits that have been paid for. I have always looked upon cruising as a pleasurable experience with time to relax and rejuvenate. It has now changed to an expensive ordeal that will add stress to your life instead of reducing it.

• Like 2

To be fair, everyone going abroad on holiday faces similar issues,  and thousands of people have been on holiday this year to Spain, Portugal  etc. 

I'm not sure why cruise companies should be expected to do more than the likes of Jet2.

The only real issues are that the pre-arrival test prior to arriving back in the UK has to be done on board, as does the Passenger Location form. As far as I can see, both these issues are being resolved by P&O,  Princess,  Saga etc.

What more can they do?

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm not expecting P&O to do this for me. I'm simply saying that I'm finding all these rules and regulations - forms to be completed on specific dates, tests (which I don't fully understand) to be ordered in advance of sailing etc. - to be a lot more stressful than I anticipated when I booked the cruise. To be honest, I find it all rather overwhelming. I'd not be able to relax either before or during the cruise and it would not be the pleasant experience that a cruise should be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Cumference said:

Sorry, I'm not expecting P&O to do this for me. I'm simply saying that I'm finding all these rules and regulations - forms to be completed on specific dates, tests (which I don't fully understand) to be ordered in advance of sailing etc. - to be a lot more stressful than I anticipated when I booked the cruise. To be honest, I find it all rather overwhelming. I'd not be able to relax either before or during the cruise and it would not be the pleasant experience that a cruise should be.

If, as I suspect your cruise is more than 2 weeks away you need do nothing at present.  As requirements are constantly changing, it would not be practical for the cruise lines to publish those details for all cruises.  Hence details of protocols for your cruise will likely be sent out about two weeks before departure date.  Any tests and forms which are needed on the ship will be done then with advice from the cruise line and I do not think there is any online requirements for most, (possibly all), European countries, so no worries for you there.  

The two day test may not be needed for your cruise, but if it does all you need to do is order a test and obtain a reference number, maybe a relative or friend could help if you do not use the internet or perhaps you could telephone a company suggested by your cruise line, though that may not be the cheapest option.

As I mentioned in #12, CLIA are trying to get the UK government to replace the online requirement for the passenger locator form for cruises, because of reduce internet capacity at sea, so that may not be needed either.  If the current form is needed you can use a visa company, (£12.95 cost for the one suggested by our cruise line Fred, who have already operated an international cruise), by submitting all details to them pre cruise and they will submit your form at the appropriate time.  There is a phone option to do that if you find it difficult to fill in an online form, possibly at a slightly higher cost or perhaps a relative can help you with the online request.  If I was traveling alone, I would pay the visa company to have it all set up to have an easy time at the end of the cruise, as that does not to me seem much cost at all to have it all done pre cruise.

The confusion which is arising is because people want to know up front what will be required for their cruise, but truth is without a crystal ball, no one can predict that, even the cruise line or the Government. Myself and others have mentioned what is required at present to give people who want to know, an idea of what requirements may be, but for later cruises it is really no more than speculation, so you would be far better just scrolling by.  There has been so much uncertainty regards travel over the pandemic, that I can quite see things like this can seem overwhelming now, but will be a lot better when you are faced with the certainty of what is, or is not, required for your cruise.

I very much hope you enjoy your cruise,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Sir Cumference said:

I totally understand what you are saying.

There are a lot of hoops to jump through, and lots of uncertainty.

I did admin in my working life and I'm good at following instructions and completing forms. However, if my cruise was coming up, I'd be feeling quite perplexed about everything, along with the nagging doubt of 'what if I make a mistake'.

My next cruise isn't until next May, so who knows what it'll be like then.

My only advice is to wait until P&O advise you of exactly what is needed for your cruise, which could be quite close to the time of sailing. Then work through each individual point and tick it off when completed. I've found that I can work through really complex tasks by breaking it down into smaller chunks  - it doesn't seem quite so imposing that way.  Also, keep your paperwork in one folder, so you can present it at check in. You could use brightly coloured post it notes as an index, so you can lay your hands on what ever is needed without too much rummaging.

I would still be feeling  anxious, but I always feel a bit more settled when I've decided how to tackle a task.

Hope it goes well, and you end up having a good time 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I totally understand what you are saying.

There are a lot of hoops to jump through, and lots of uncertainty.

I did admin in my working life and I'm good at following instructions and completing forms. However, if my cruise was coming up, I'd be feeling quite perplexed about everything, along with the nagging doubt of 'what if I make a mistake'.

My next cruise isn't until next May, so who knows what it'll be like then.

My only advice is to wait until P&O advise you of exactly what is needed for your cruise, which could be quite close to the time of sailing. Then work through each individual point and tick it off when completed. I've found that I can work through really complex tasks by breaking it down into smaller chunks  - it doesn't seem quite so imposing that way.  Also, keep your paperwork in one folder, so you can present it at check in. You could use brightly coloured post it notes as an index, so you can lay your hands on what ever is needed without too much rummaging.

I would still be feeling  anxious, but I always feel a bit more settled when I've decided how to tackle a task.

Hope it goes well, and you end up having a good time 

Excellent advice, especially about breaking everything down into individual elements, and also having a single travel document folder.

Looks like we have both spent too much time dealing with bureaucracy! 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:00 AM, daveoc said:

I'm on a September cruise that requires me to input this completed Government form from 2 days before I'm due to arrive back in the UK.

I realise that I have to book the 2 day PCR test before I board the ship so that I have the reference number required for the PLF form. What I'm unsure of is, do I have to do anything with the PLF form before I get on the cruise or can I wait and do everything 2 days before I arrive back.

I've looked at the form and it does seem to me that I don't need to do anything until 2 days before I'm back in the UK, but I'm also mindful that if I get this wrong I'm a bit stuck.

Hi you can set up the form at home now it will save you having to put in all your details on the ship, you will then just need to log back in and put in the last details of the time and day you arrive and the test number. I had an issue with the form because it says to put in your mobile number, but you need to start it with the UK code +44 and then miss out the first 0. Hope that helps.

I’ve made an account for both myself and hubby. I’ve completed the DOB, address, passport numbers etc so if we cannot get free WiFi before we dock in Southampton I’ll just fill the remaining details in when we’re in the car park. 

• Like 1

I have just started to complete my PLF for our 25th Sept. cruise. I can’t get any further than the date of arrival. It accepts the date then asks for arrival time, which obviously I don’t know. I have tried putting in 9.00 am but it won’t accept it and I can’t get any further. Others on here have able to input more data, what am I doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

22 minutes ago, painterman64 said:

I tried as well and only got as far as date of arrival...seems you can only complete these details within 48 hours of arriving back to UK

And as that will be whilst the ship is at sea for all that time, then either P&O provides free WiFi access to allow people to do that, or they risk disembarkation being delayed as people fill them in over breakfast on arrival back at Southampton.

1 hour ago, painterman64 said:

I tried as well and only got as far as date of arrival...seems you can only complete these details within 48 hours of arriving back to UK

Makes sense your plane or ship may be delayed or early and the system is designed for planes not ships

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Does anyone actually believe that there will be officials at the terminal in  Southampton,  checking that all 3000+ cruisers have completed their forms ? It will take hours to clear everybody. 

No, random checks, just like customs, there is someone behind that glass checking if you look dodgy

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

No, random checks, just like customs, there is someone behind that glass checking if you look dodgy

Never noticed the one way mirrors at Southampton,  or perhaps I just wasn't looking for them !

Interestingly,  not only can you be fined if you do not complete the form, but so can P&O as well, so it is in P&O's interest to ensure that everyobe has wifi access so as to complete the documentation. 

• Like 3