Another reason I would always select my cabin

kalos

18 hours ago, kalos said:

I have started this film of Iona balcony showing people walking by and everyone 

walking by wants a little peek inside . Some may not mind but I think it would drive

me crazy :classic_unsure: Maybe it would be OK for some but sorry not for me .

This was the only negative on Iona and fortunately we were on deck 10.

Most but not all deck 9 balconies are a no no for privacy.

The bow is extremely windy and why they have steel fronted balconies

Graham.

IMG_20210911_170015.jpg

IMG_20210911_165636.jpg

IMG_20210911_165509.jpg

IMG_20210911_165411.jpg

IMG_20210911_164843.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very unusual. Ventura is fine, but as always position is key. One of the reasons we’ve never been prepared to book without a guaranteed cabin number.  The aft suites on Ventura offer fantastic privacy.

We had an aft balcony when we were on Ventura and absolutely agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

This was the only negative on Iona and fortunately we were on deck 10.

Most but not all deck 9 balconies are a no no for privacy.

The bow is extremely windy and why they have steel fronted balconies

Graham.

IMG_20210911_170015.jpg

IMG_20210911_165636.jpg

IMG_20210911_165509.jpg

IMG_20210911_165411.jpg

IMG_20210911_164843.jpg

I know it is very easy for me to be negative about Iona but it seems to me that the Promenade Deck could well be a nightmare to walk around once the ship is fully loaded. As you say, the forward end is very narrow, the bits by the outdoor eatery terraces isn't exactly wide and people will move those sunbeds and others will stand behind them at times. Fully aft there is, I believe a bar area to negotiate too...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I know it is very easy for me to be negative about Iona but it seems to me that the Promenade Deck could well be a nightmare to walk around once the ship is fully loaded. As you say, the forward end is very narrow, the bits by the outdoor eatery terraces isn't exactly wide and people will move those sunbeds and others will stand behind them at times. Fully aft there is, I believe a bar area to negotiate too...

There is a jogging/ walking track up on deck 17.

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There is a jogging/ walking track up on deck 17.

Think I might get a nose bleed up at that altitude...😏😂. Think I'll stick to the nice, low down, covered promenades on Aurora and Arcadia 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Think I might get a nose bleed up at that altitude...😏😂. Think I'll stick to the nice, low down, covered promenades on Aurora and Arcadia 🙂

I must admit I loved having  a gentle stroll around the Aurora prom deck and the Azura /Ventura,  prom decks too:classic_love: 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Seems to be the done thing on the newer ships.   The MSC Meraviglia class, including MSC Virtuosa, the walking / running / promenade is on deck 16.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

As long as you don't look over the side you wouldn't know what deck you were on.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Seems to be the done thing on the newer ships.   The MSC Meraviglia class, including MSC Virtuosa, the walking / running / promenade is on deck 16.

And the Promenade Deck sticks out from the side of the ships without any overhead cover.

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

And the Promenade Deck sticks out from the side of the ships without any overhead cover.

Yes, Virtuosa's is completely uncovered, but there again, she was built for the Mediterranean / Dubai before she was re-routed to do some UK cruises.  Not sure about why Iona's is, given she's largely UK based.   Maybe one design to fit all.

Edited by showingdiva

1 minute ago, showingdiva said:

Yes, Virtuosa's is completely uncovered, but there again, she was built for the Mediterranean / Dubai before she was re-routed to do some UK cruises.  Not sure about why Iona's is, given she's largely UK based.   Maybe one design to fit all.

It is indeed one design to fit all. Most large ships now are built to a small number of basic designs. Arcadia is a Vista Class ship and has numerous 'cousins' in the Cunard and Holland America fleets, Britannia is a Royal Class ship with her 'cousins' in the Princess fleet and Azura and Ventura are the same as many Grand Class ships of Princess. The shipyards are like conveyor belts...😂

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

I dont believe that Iona's promenade deck is intended to be used for strolling, walking and certainly not jogging. It's functions are to enable sun bathing on loungers and deck chairs as wel as al fresco dining. I suspect walkers may find themselves being "accidentally" tripped by passengers that dont want to have people wandering past them regularly.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont believe that Iona's promenade deck is intended to be used for strolling, walking and certainly not jogging. It's functions are to enable sun bathing on loungers and deck chairs as wel as al fresco dining. I suspect walkers may find themselves being "accidentally" tripped by passengers that dont want to have people wandering past them regularly.

I don't disagree with you at all John. With ships being built higher, with more accommodation decks, they need to find additional outside space for lounging and the number of whirlpool spas and bar/restaurant terraces on Iona's Promenade Deck back up this idea. Long-time cruisers will however (initially at least) expect to be able to stroll around the Promenade.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It is indeed one design to fit all. Most large ships now are built to a small number of basic designs. Arcadia is a Vista Class ship and has numerous 'cousins' in the Cunard and Holland America fleets, Britannia is a Royal Class ship with her 'cousins' in the Princess fleet and Azura and Ventura are the same as many Grand Class ships of Princess. The shipyards are like conveyor belts...😂

Like the increasing number of "Vikings".  I once worked on Star, Sky and Sun in the one week.   My brain was frazzled by the end.

Despite the many Vista hybrids, in my eyes,  Arcadia will always be "the one".

I am, though, thankful for the unique, wonderful Queen Mary 2.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Like the increasing number of "Vikings".  I once worked on Star, Sky and Sun in the one week.   My brain was frazzled by the end.

Despite the many Vista hybrids, in my eyes,  Arcadia will always be "the one".

I am, though, thankful for the unique, wonderful Queen Mary 2.

But at least the Vikings have sleek, elegant profiles. That must have been a very confusing week for you 😜.

The only, small things I'm not keen on about Arcadia is the circular bar in the Crows Nest and the fact that the Globe is pretty small for a second show-lounge.

Having done QE2 and the current Queen Elizabeth, QM2 is very much on my wishlist. At present, my next two cruises are on ships that are/will be unique in the British Market - Aurora and Ambassador Cruises Ambience, the 1991 Regal Princess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You may well have a point there, John. Walking, per se, seems to have gone out of fashion these days.  Very few people walk any more, and the only time you see most people walking anywhere is when they have a dog in tow!

Walking the promenade deck is a joy, particularly when you can walk right round without the interruption of stairs, corridors etc, but maybe that’s no longer a view shared by many.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You may well have a point there, John. Walking, per se, seems to have gone out of fashion these days.  Very few people walk any more, and the only time you see most people walking anywhere is when they have a dog in tow!

Walking the promenade deck is a joy, particularly when you can walk right round without the interruption of stairs, corridors etc, but maybe that’s no longer a view shared by many.

Last week on Iona the promenade deck sunbeds in the sun were packed while the other side in the shade were empty.

There were no obstructions as all the sunbeds were left in place as well as the chairs on the promenade.

The outside sitting areas for fish and chips etc were all on the port side.

Graham.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Britboys said:

It won't be long before the specs are programmed in and they're being built by robots.😁

Avril

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

We love to walk the promenade deck Harry, not  jogging or speedwalking, just strolling(a touch of the Flanagan and Allen's there)😉 Out favourite time is in the evenings, especially when the moon is out.

Avril

• Like 6