Shoes for formal night

Kmkub

Hi everyone. I kindly request that this not devolve into a formal night fight, thread. Please. I have an honest question.

My husband was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. We've been trying to get a proper diagnosis for a long time; basically since COVID started.

He hasn't worn proper shoes (tennis shoes, dress shoes, boots) in over a year. He's only wearing flip flops, because his feet are huge.

We don't normally participate in formal nights; we just do the buffet and keep the nice clothes at home. The lost year has us excited to put on our fancy clothes, at least once, on our January cruise.

The issue is shoes. Will his flip flops suffice?  

We've rented a scooter from Special Needs Group for the cruise, so he'll be scooting around in a suit & tie, wearing flip flops.

We are SO excited to be back on Princess. 🙂

• Like 2

If you're really uncomfortable with flip flops, go  to a hobby store and get maybe some tile stones and hot glue them onto the straps, OR get some bling for them.  I think that would be hilarious.  He will be fine in whatever he wears.  I can't wear heels anymore so I'll be in sandals all the time or ballet flats.  I could care less what others say, so that's the attitude ya'll need to take.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

David Letterman worn sneakers. Wear those thongs(the correct name for flip flops) with pride.

Might I suggest glueing a bow tie to each. (Picture shown as example only)

0EE7B10D-1D51-4060-B5B6-552A4BF9CA30.jpeg

I LOVE this idea!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Thanks, everyone. I just wanted to make sure the Maître De wasn't going to laugh us out of the MDR.

🙂

Happy cruising.

I wouldn't worry about the other pax.  If the MD or a HW says something, I'd just quietly explain it's a medical reason.  They won't give you any trouble at all.  With a suit on, they may not even notice the feet!

14 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I wouldn't worry about the other pax.  If the MD or a HW says something, I'd just quietly explain it's a medical reason.  They won't give you any trouble at all.  With a suit on, they may not even notice the feet!

You don’t owe anyone any kind of explaination .  Just ENJOY!  Period. Drop the mic!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My DH wears black deck shoes to all our dinners, including formal. His reason isn't medical, but practical. We travel with one carryon & personal item each. Nothing else. We haven't checked a bag in years. Mens dress shoes are heavy & bulky. His deck shoes are black, socks black, slacks black. It all merges together. 😊

7 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Hi everyone. I kindly request that this not devolve into a formal night fight, thread. Please. I have an honest question.

My husband was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. We've been trying to get a proper diagnosis for a long time; basically since COVID started.

He hasn't worn proper shoes (tennis shoes, dress shoes, boots) in over a year. He's only wearing flip flops, because his feet are huge.

We don't normally participate in formal nights; we just do the buffet and keep the nice clothes at home. The lost year has us excited to put on our fancy clothes, at least once, on our January cruise.

The issue is shoes. Will his flip flops suffice?  

We've rented a scooter from Special Needs Group for the cruise, so he'll be scooting around in a suit & tie, wearing flip flops.

We are SO excited to be back on Princess. 🙂

Of course it will be fine.  Nothing to do with others ( and no one will be looking. Have a Great time

7 hours ago, voljeep said:

I have a brown pair (casual) and a black pair(formal) of Echo sandals - just a thought - but nothing wrong with the flip flops ...  just NO CROCS under any circumstances 😄

My husband only wears Echo sandals since his feet swell.  Of course, he wears them on both formal and informal nights.  He is a golfer and wears them golfing.  I haven't worn heels for years and just wear dressy sandals on formal nights.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Thanks, everyone. I just wanted to make sure the Maître De wasn't going to laugh us out of the MDR.

🙂

Happy cruising.

Give the Maitre D some credit. They can tell who is dressing the way they are due to a medical issue and who is just pushing the evening  suggested dress code.