Recent Experience with no wine sommelier in MDR

FlaMariner

Reading on here that the wine stewards/sommeliers are no more?  I've always enjoyed and relied on their experience as we sign up for a wine package at our first night in the MDR and the wine steward kept the wine flowing for the cruise.....

For those that have cruised since the unpleasantness, what's it like in the MDR regarding ordering the wine package and getting the wine sorted and poured?  

4 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Reading on here that the wine stewards/sommeliers are no more?  I've always enjoyed and relied on their experience as we sign up for a wine package at our first night in the MDR and the wine steward kept the wine flowing for the cruise.....

For those that have cruised since the unpleasantness, what's it like in the MDR regarding ordering the wine package and getting the wine sorted and poured?  

Can’t help - haven’t sailed since covid, but from reading it sounds like there are still sommeliers just no wine stewards?  Hopefully you can get clarification.

• Like 1

On the Nieuw Amsterdam the wine Cellar Master  was former wine steward. Wine steward we knew from a former NA cruise recognized us, his past name tag was Rey Rey it’s now Renaldo. He did excellent wine tasting presentations which were some of the best ever. Asked if they got am promotion or raise with new positions and was told no. So it appeared Hal just gave a title to a few retained wine stewards. When we left a third steward was joining their team.

We’re boarding Saturday for 23 days and will be dining in MDR. Will check it out.

We only ate in specialty restaurants but the wine service was always quick and we would order a wine in advance through Renaldo or John and they were at our table upon arrival.

• Like 1

I plan on pre-purchasing a wine package for my November Eurodam sailing.  I know which package I want, but it would be nice to know whether I'll actually get service in the MDR, as I've also read several comments in the NA threads about the lack of wine stewards now.

Aliaschief, I'll look forward to reading about your experience.

My mom bought a wine package for our August cruise to Alaska. The waiters were the ones that brought the wine. They did have a menu, although my mom knew what she wanted, but it went pretty well. They did a pretty good job of keeping her glass filled, but the waiters do get very, very busy at times.  We were in open seating so people come and go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I plan on pre-purchasing a wine package for my November Eurodam sailing.  I know which package I want, but it would be nice to know whether I'll actually get service in the MDR, as I've also read several comments in the NA threads about the lack of wine stewards now.

JMO, but I would never pre-purchase a wine package.  there is a possibility that some of the wines you like will not be on board or available.

I learned the hard way to wait until you are on board to check the inventory and then order 😉 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

On the Nieuw Amsterdam the wine Cellar Master  was former wine steward. Wine steward we knew from a former NA cruise recognized us, his past name tag was Rey Rey it’s now Renaldo. He did excellent wine tasting presentations which were some of the best ever. Asked if they got am promotion or raise with new positions and was told no. So it appeared Hal just gave a title to a few retained wine stewards. When we left a third steward was joining their team.

We’re boarding Saturday for 23 days and will be dining in MDR. Will check it out.

We only ate in specialty restaurants but the wine service was always quick and we would order a wine in advance through Renaldo or John and they were at our table upon arrival.

So we are boarding Saturday also, maybe you know something we don't, our itinerary shows 21 days!

We used to enjoy buying wine in the MDR and talking to the wine steward. When they discontinued the wine steward we discontinued buying wine.  Main reason was because it took a lot longer to get our wine and we were usually done with our appetizer by the time the wine came. Now we just go to Lido and skip wine altogether. We  have over 900 sea days so are not casual cruisers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

the wine Cellar Master 

I was aboard the Noordam on a Caribbean cruise from New York when this position was created and the woman arrived mid-cruise.  My Wine Steward's service went from being friendly to being "uptight.  It was quite noticeable.

My experience with Cellar Masters range from being guest friendly to being obnoxious.  With more on the negative end of that scale.  

I have attended many "Sip and Savors" where these gentlemen are the person in charge.  Sometimes, those sessions are very informative with very drinkable wines presented.  Sometimes, I leave with not quite as good impression.  And, I don't attend another one.  

If HAL needs to save employee costs, the Cellar Master position for the MDR can be eliminated.  Having a staff member in the specialty restaurants like Pinnacle Grill and Sel de Mer who has wine knowledge would be good.  

It does seem to be the responsibility of the guest anymore to keep one's wine glass full during dinner.  The wine is usually presented (or is already on the table if it is a Red) by my MDR Steward.  If it is a white, I notice where the ice bucket is.  As the Steward is able, he does ask if I want more of whatever wine I am drinking.  More often than not, I am pouring my own and having to leave my seat to get to the ice bucket if I am drinking a white wine.  

There are three Wine Stewards whom are standouts in my memory.

Roy who served me on the 2008 Grand World Voyage.

Sume who served me on the 2002 Asia Pacific Voyage.

Nestor who served me on more than one HAL cruise, both in the dining room and as a bartender in later years.

Friendly, knowledgeable about their wines, provided excellent wine service each night:  they helped to make my nightly dining a very pleasant experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radbooks said:

My mom bought a wine package for our August cruise to Alaska. The waiters were the ones that brought the wine. They did have a menu, although my mom knew what she wanted, but it went pretty well. They did a pretty good job of keeping her glass filled, but the waiters do get very, very busy at times.  We were in open seating so people come and go.

Thanks for posting your (and your Mom's) experience since the wine stewards are no more.

What you experienced sounds like it may just work.......I hope others will pass along their experiences from recent sailings as well.....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Actually,  in our experiences if we have a bottle of wine on our table we prefer pouring our own after initial presentation. Over attention  by a wine steward can equal no wine through main entree. 

Of course this is our fault by being wine gluttons.

Sounds like you are a red wine drinker.  I prefer to pour my own as well because I find most wine stewards are not as attentive as I would like even though I ask that my wine glass never get empty until I ask for it to be empty.  Most just come around when they feel like it.   I drink white and my bottle is never close. I’m always in open dining which is a different experience than fixed.  I hope to hear more recent experience of those that have been on ships since the restart as you have.  That is very helpful.

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I guess I need to clarify......

How's the wine service in the MDR as far as working thru getting the wine package, getting it poured and keeping up with your bottles?

We didn't like it all on NA 8/7/21 Alaska 7-day.  Waiters were understaffed and wine service definitely suffered.  No wine steward.  We attributed it (hopefully) to re-staffing woes.  Still, we're going to another line next month & we'll watch these comments before returning to HA.

After having a great time with Reynaldo as our wine steward on a 2019 Norway trip, it was a real downer.

Edited by Aardvaark
Correct typo
  • Like 1

I believe the future for HAL wine service would be a simple matter of picking up a pre-ordered bottle of wine  at a remodeled wine “station” prior to MDR entrance via a pre-purchase, package, or set aside bottle (via the On-board HAL app)  or, possibly, either bottles brought aboard at embarkation or at a port regardless of a particular HAL tour.

Ice buckets  (with ice naturally) would be available at a small table-side charge (($20 ?) by your wait staff.

It really is fun surmising and gossiping, no?

Be well,

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, prescottbob said:

I believe the future for HAL wine service would be a simple matter of picking up a pre-ordered bottle of wine  at a remodeled wine “station” prior to MDR entrance via a pre-purchase, package, or set aside bottle (via the On-board HAL app)  or, possibly, either bottles brought aboard at embarkation or at a port regardless of a particular HAL tour.

Ice buckets  (with ice naturally) would be available at a small table-side charge (($20 ?) by your wait staff.

It really is fun surmising and gossiping, no?

Be well,

Bob

If hal charged $100 for a cruise that would be ok.  They are eliminating so much.  How will they attract new customers if they are the Walmart of the sea with a 5 star cruise price?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Sounds like you are a red wine drinker.  I prefer to pour my own as well because I find most wine stewards are not as attentive as I would like even though I ask that my wine glass never get empty until I ask for it to be empty.  Most just come around when they feel like it.   I drink white and my bottle is never close. I’m always in open dining which is a different experience than fixed.  I hope to hear more recent experience of those that have been on ships since the restart as you have.  That is very helpful.

Yes most dinners red wine. Can see your point on white in chill bucket. I’m not an advocate of having wine stewards removed. Hope Hal readdresses this bad decision.

Hopefully, when they get back to full fleet operations they will reconsider.

Our bonus was we previously knew the wine steward and now in new role  we praised their performance via Navigator App they were even more doting ex wine stewards with new titles.

Being respectful, nice, concerned, friendly, caring with all crew can pay huge dividends in return. Not hard for us as we love our Hal crew members.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Yes most dinners red wine. Can see your point on white in chill bucket. I’m not an advocate of having wine stewards removed. Hope Hal readdresses this bad decision.

Hopefully, when they get back to full fleet operations they will reconsider.

Our bonus was we previously knew the wine steward and now in new role  we praised their performance via Navigator App they were even more doting ex wine stewards with new titles.

Being respectful, nice, concerned, friendly, caring with all crew can pay huge dividends in return. Not hard for us as we love our Hal crew members.

Why do people assume that you must be rude if you get service that isn’t acceptable? Just as anywhere else some people are very good at their job and some are mediocre.  If hal is quick with refills they will sell more products, easy peasy.  I rarely go to bars but last time I was in one I sat at a table for 20 minutes waiting for a server.  I ended up going to the bar to get a drink. This is money I am spending, not from have it all.  

44 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Why do people assume that you must be rude if you get service that isn’t acceptable? Just as anywhere else some people are very good at their job and some are mediocre.  If hal is quick with refills they will sell more products, easy peasy.  I rarely go to bars but last time I was in one I sat at a table for 20 minutes waiting for a server.  I ended up going to the bar to get a drink. This is money I am spending, not from have it all.  

I’m just a very happy and grateful person. I’ve had a pretty rough but rewarding  career in the military and maybe more appreciative and Blessed to be able to cruise. I wish you happiness and Peace. I never presumed you were being rude.

You come across as very unhappy with some of your cruising experiences and your probably correct. Just not our experiences. Have we had bad or delayed service on cruises? Absolutely, we just question what is the problem tonight and later find an answer why. Sometimes they just screwed up. We can accept that.

If you don’t like my comments please hit ignore.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 11

Our last HAL was early last year during the start of covid.  We had VERY limited wine service in Club Orange and in the Pinnacle, period.  We gave up on CO and only ate their twice in 12 days.  The Pinnacle was packed and for some reason waiting 30 minutes for a glass of wine was common. Very odd compared to normal.  And no I am not a complainer I am a realist, lol.

• Like 2

I'm the opposite of a wine snob.  I'll drink just about anything except I detest Chardonnay.  Ugh.

I actually like a couple of the wines in the cheapest wine package.  I typically drink Pinot Grigio but I had a nice Sauvignon Blanc before.  For red, I like the Remole.  I have no preferred brands.  At home, it's usually something <$10 from the grocery store! 😁

I don't remember whether HAL has a table set up selling the packages upon embarkation.  I know Carnival does, but I typically wait until I'm at dinner the first night because I want the wait staff to get the service charge, since they'll be doing the work.

I was going to pre-purchase to get the expense out of the way before I sail.  but I may wait and see what they have available.  This will be on Eurodam on the first US sailing after the TA, so they may have some interesting wines on board.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I actually like a couple of the wines in the cheapest wine package.  I typically drink Pinot Grigio but I had a nice Sauvignon Blanc before.  For red, I like the Remole.  I have no preferred brands.  At home, it's usually something <$10 from the grocery store! 😁

us too! 

Enjoy the wine packages and we do fine with package #1 (the cheapest) and the wine steward was always good at knowing which one of the #1's were the best!

So far, I'm hearing that the process is the same even though the wine stewards are no more.  The delay in getting the wine set up would be frustrating so will do what we can to be proactive.

I agree in waiting to buy once at the table so the waiters get the sale.  We are fine pouring our own wine, it just needs to get opened and to the table before the appetizers arrive!  (First world problems).

Looking for more eyewitness experiences from those that have boarded since the unpleasantness.