Is it too risky to have a separate flight booked at 1pm on the day the cruise ends? Miami port and airport

mashisback

I have just had my flight cancelled and the only flight Miami to uk is at 1pm on the day the cruise gets back.

I think I read the ship is due to get back at 6am, but taking into consideration delays/ time to leave the ship/ getting baggage and getting to airport..

is this likely to cause me to miss my flight? or am I being over cautious? Are RC cruises usually on time getting back? 

they are usually on time.

Granted, I haven't cruised all that much compared to some of the folks on CC, but we had an awfully late disembarkation only once (due to problems with the customs) - on Princess.  The only problem with late Embarkation we had was on our very first cruise (RCI's Indy) and that's apparently because she just arrived from overseas and once again - customs clearance was delayed.

I think you can easily make it to MIA by 11 if you get off the ship, don't dilly dally and go straight for the taxi/uber/lyft.

A 1 pm flight gives you plenty of time.  It's flights before noon that can make you nervous but anything after that is a piece of cake.  It's a direct shot from the port to the airport.  You'll probably end up hanging around the airport for at least an hour or two. Our experience is the ship usually gets back before their announced arrival time - like 5am.  I've gotten up around that time plenty of times to see the ship come in thru Government Cut and dock before it even gets light.

Edited by Diver2014

24 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

they are usually on time.

Granted, I haven't cruised all that much compared to some of the folks on CC, but we had an awfully late disembarkation only once (due to problems with the customs) - on Princess.  The only problem with late Embarkation we had was on our very first cruise (RCI's Indy) and that's apparently because she just arrived from overseas and once again - customs clearance was delayed.

I think you can easily make it to MIA by 11 if you get off the ship, don't dilly dally and go straight for the taxi/uber/lyft.

Thank you. The time you had awfully late disembarkation, was that so late that we wouldn't have had a chance to catch the flight?

Also, you mention getting to the airport comfortably by 11, I assume the 11 o'clock was taking into consideration that they say to get to airport 2 hours before flight?

Following on from that, do they still let you on If for example you got there an hour before take off? albeit being rushed and probably having to run lots!

25 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

A 1 pm flight gives you plenty of time.  It's flights before noon that can make you nervous but anything after that is a piece of cake.  It's a direct shot from the port to the airport.  You'll probably end up hanging around the airport for at least an hour or two. Our experience is the ship usually gets back before their announced arrival time - like 5am.  I've gotten up around that time plenty of times to see the ship come in thru Government Cut and dock before it even gets light.

Thank you, I would love to feel this relaxed 🙂 I think its the fact it would cost us about £2000 if we missed the flights that makes me so nervous x

4 minutes ago, mashisback said:

The time you had awfully late disembarkation, was that so late that we wouldn't have had a chance to catch the flight?

yes, we were allowed off the ship after noon.

5 minutes ago, mashisback said:

you mention getting to the airport comfortably by 11, I assume the 11 o'clock was taking into consideration that they say to get to airport 2 hours before flight?

it is supposed to be 3 hours for international flights, but I think 2 would probably be enough. MIA is a huge airport, though, and not as user friendly as ATL.

10 minutes ago, mashisback said:

do they still let you on If for example you got there an hour before take off? albeit being rushed and probably having to run lots!

yes, of course. 3 hours is for you to comfortably check-in, go through security and get to your gate... As long as you get to the gate 15 minutes before the flight, they'll let you in. And I am sure there is a time constraint on checking your luggage in - say an hour before the flight.

You should be just fine with a 1 pm flight.    You should be able to walk off the ship by 7:30 or 8 am.    You could even stay on the ship till 9 am and still have plenty of time.    

Figure a 1/2 hr to get off the ship, get your luggage, go thru customs then grab a taxi to the airport.

It's a pretty quick drive to MIA airport from MIA cruise port.   All in you could be at the airport by 9:30 / 10 am easy.

Plenty of time to check in at airport and lounge around and grab a bite to eat at the lounge

• Like 1

If I were you I would avoid getting such a ticket. Is it really a problem to stay overnight at some cheap hotel, have a good sleep and the safely and without worries go on the flight? I mean, I would suggest taking a break and just relax for a night and then get on going again 😄

• Like 1

If you are so concerned, you can carry your bags off and will be the first one to disembark.  Usually they start disembark Pax about an half-hour after docking.  Also, how are you getting to the airport.  If you have RCL booked transportation, I would be concerned as they wait until the busses are almost full before leaving for airport.  One time my wife and I were having palpitations as it seemed that the bus was never leaving.

Ps:  If you get an assigned time slot to debark and you are not satisfied, go to GS to change to an earlier slot the day prior of arrival  Suggest as early as possible as usually this day the lines tend to get long fast for a variety of reasons.   

Edited by nelblu

6 hours ago, mashisback said:

I have just had my flight cancelled and the only flight Miami to uk is at 1pm on the day the cruise gets back. I think I read the ship is due to get back at 6am, but taking into consideration delays/ time to leave the ship/ getting baggage and getting to airport. is this likely to cause me to miss my flight? or am I being over cautious? Are RC cruises usually on time getting back? 

Nope. That is a lot of time. You will be requested to check in at least 2 hour (11 am) before your flight. We have been on many U.S. domestic flights leaving at 11 a.m. (being at the airport by 10:00 am). 

On our cruise two weeks ago, we had a leisurely breakfast, disembarked, caught a taxi to the airport, and were at the airport around 8:45. 

18 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it is supposed to be 3 hours for international flights, but I think 2 would probably be enough. MIA is a huge airport, though, and not as user friendly as ATL.

Seriously?  ATL is a zoo compared to MIA.  Every gate at MIA is easily accessible from the front entrances. 

20 hours ago, Roger88 said:

If I were you I would avoid getting such a ticket. Is it really a problem to stay overnight at some cheap hotel, have a good sleep and the safely and without worries go on the flight? I mean, I would suggest taking a break and just relax for a night and then get on going again 😄

There is absolutely NO reason to opt for this. Completely unnecessary to add another charge at a hotel.....get to that hotel and not be able to more than likely check in until 3:00pm..what a waste of a day. OP you'll be home sleeping in your bed that night !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Seriously?  ATL is a zoo compared to MIA.  Every gate at MIA is easily accessible from the front entrances. 

Um....no.  Pretty sure my Fitbit said that I walked 2 miles once when sky train wasn't running after a derailment.  I had the time, I just couldn't believe how I was routed sort of towards one end of terminal D and then serpentine around a wall to get to the clear other end.  Was nuts.

But, for the OP, you will have plenty of time to make it.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would be very careful on booking any flight home even the same day the ship should arrive back in port. This is based on personal experience on the Anthem in 2019. Arrival back in NJ was delayed by a full 24 hours as the ship diverted to Nassau due to a medical emergency. Thankfully we set aside a few days on arrival to do some NY site seeing so did not effect us but it did to numerous others on board.

Now we always allow at least one night in port coming back before flying home.