Live and Happy from Eurodam October 6 to 30

Vict0riann

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

The officer of the watch came on about 15 minutes ago, and said we are experiencing 65 knot winds, no one should go out on deck, doors to the outside deck are being closed.  Then just now Captain Smit came on and said everyone should stay where they are and not move.  We are getting a lot of spray on our deck 7 verandah, and the ship is swaying from side to side.  

31 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

i had to place the extra bottles of wine on the bed so they would not roll away .  The glasses in the cabinet fell over …………and the drawer under the bed came all the way out . 

a little motion of the ocean here near the straight of Messina .  Here on the aft cabin I can really see where the wind is coming from and how much we are leaning to the West . The stabilizers are not doing a lot with this kind of wind . 

have to see where DW is hanging in out or hanging on ……. 

Oh my heavens you two.

Hang on tight.  Good work on protecting the wine, Tony.  I’ve used towels in the past and put them in a drawer and it’s worked in case you hit more rough weather.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the whitecaps and spray are gone, there is salt congealing on our verandah, I think we are seeing Messina on our port side.  There are other ships in the strait, maybe sheltering from the bad weather beyond.

Excitement over….

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Yes, the whitecaps and spray are gone, there is salt congealing on our verandah, I think we are seeing Messina on our port side.  There are other ships in the strait, maybe sheltering from the bad weather beyond.

Excitement over……

9 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Just now, sailingdutchy said:

yes things have quieted down a lot and the ship is back in the upright position .

Also Martha found her way back home after the captain gave the all clear and people could move around again . 

time for a small glass of grape juice and a little nap before going out on the town again ! 

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Oh my goodness, such excitement!  First the C & T Director and some staff are isolating - how many people do you think they have come into contact with?  Then the weather . . . I remember going through one storm where we were hanging onto the sides of the bed to keep from rolling off.  DH and I still talk about it, because the cabin next door had something large come crashing off their vanity; fortunately I'd taken precautions and put all of the breakables on towels on the floor.  Like @sailingdutchy, first the wine, then the people.  LOL

I can't imagine having to be a pilot trying to board the ship in conditions like you just went through!  I do hope the medical emergency turns out to be something rather minor, but please keep us posted.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Excitement over….

Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1

Captain just came on again.  We are disembarking the Messina pilot in 10 minutes and heading out of the strait into the weather, more wind and whitecaps ahead.  We are to stay inside, wear suitable footwear, and hold onto railings when moving about.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Captain just came on again.  We are disembarking the Messina pilot in 10 minutes and heading out of the strait into the weather, more wind and whitecaps ahead.  We are to stay inside, wear suitable footwear, and hold onto railings when moving about.  

Yikes 😱 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I’m not telling hubby any of this wild ride!  

Stay safe.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Did he say why he is heading out into the weather again?  Seems contrary to all good sense.

Where is your next (planned) port?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I’m not telling hubby any of this wild ride!  

Stay safe.   

If it makes you feel any better, DH had a rocky ride once and is still willing to sail 😉.   The ship rode it well but the drawers were all popping open.

But the wine and glasses were safest there 😉. (Wrapped in towels).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I've had a couple of cruises that turned into a wild ride like this (mainly in Alaska late in the year), and I can handle it fine, but not my DH, oh dear.  Pretty soon the bags start being taped to the hallway rails and outside the elevators!
A hint, we put everything from the shelves in the bathroom into the bath tub, and used the drawers under the bed for everything else loose in the cabin.

Edited by T8NCruise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, T8NCruise said:

I've had a couple of cruises that turned into a wild ride like this (mainly in Alaska late in the year), and I can handle it fine, but not my DH, oh dear.  Pretty soon the bags start being taped to the hallway rails and outside the elevators!

Wonder why our husbands can’t handle it but we can?  (And my hubby is a recreational fisherman 😱)

Yes, the bags will be out soon I bet and the hallways empty of people.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Did he say why he is heading out into the weather again?  Seems contrary to all good sense.

next port is Naples , Colin . You can see from the shape of the boot that there will be some open seas again . 
we are now looking out to seeStromboli , see if there is any action going on there 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It's just that we are more sensitive!  We always pick up on subtle female mood changes. (I nearly said mood swings, but that would not be subtle!) 

I (being male) always take ginger capsules twice a day, starting a week before embarkation.

• Haha 7

Ann, I remember one TA on the Rotterdam from a few years ago when we ran into some bad weather in the Med.  We were sailing from Corsica to Barcelona and during the night we hit some waves that were between 30 and 40 feet in height.  Fortunately I slept through it all and didn't even notice it until the next morning when I got up and picked stuff up off the floor.  At breakfast that day people were telling me how bad it had been with stuff flying all over their cabin.  Sometimes I guess, ignorance is truly bliss as I slept right thru it all and didn't even know we hit bad weather until the next day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

If it makes you feel any better, DH had a rocky ride once and is still willing to sail 😉.   The ship rode it well but the drawers were all popping open.

But the wine and glasses were safest there 😉. (Wrapped in towels).

On our Canada New England cruise on the Eurodam years ago we had our one sea day that was wild.   Hubby and most people stayed in their cabins as the seas were high and rough.  I had a pedicure  booked and kept the appointment!  The technician was going to close the curtain but I said no, love looking at the seas rough or not.  

And yes, hubby has sailed since but I don’t want to push it, lol!  

I see there is a trend here…saving the wine & glasses 😂😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Naples tomorrow morning.  So far it doesn’t seem too bad, just a few whitecaps.

sorry, Tony already answered that, but I hadn’t read that far.  

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 7