Movie set on QM2: "Let Them All Talk"

shipgeeks

Have you seen this film?

Apart from the story, which I won't comment on, I was quite disappointed with the lack of appeal of the ship.  There are some lovely outdoor scenes, and the interiors are true to reality, but I felt no excitement of being on a Cunard ship, as I do with most shipboard films, even the fake ones.

What did you think?

Secondly, were any of you aboard during the filming?  It was made in 2019.  There were some genuine passengers in the backgrounds.  Were you among them?

15 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't think it's available to watch in the UK yet.

I've certainly seen it,  The film wasn't my cup of tea, but it did show off QM2 very well though.

• Like 1

The movie is kind of “meh” but I watch it every now and again just to see the QM2 on a TA. There are a few small, annoying errors/liberties/stretches (e.g. tea in the Chart Room, when two characters meet at the “Verandah Bar” and a mixed cabin grade table in the QG) but otherwise it does capture the ship well. During the pandemic lockdown it was the closest I came to being aboard.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

The movie is kind of “meh” but I watch it every now and again just to see the QM2 on a TA. There are a few small, annoying errors/liberties/stretches (e.g. tea in the Chart Room, when two characters meet at the “Verandah Bar” and a mixed cabin grade table in the QG) but otherwise it does capture the ship well. During the pandemic lockdown it was the closest I came to being aboard.

@ClipperinSFO I watched it this afternoon. It was pretty slow, but the ship is beautiful. Glad this discussion came up.

• Like 1

This movie is the reason I scheduled my QM2 crossing.  I saw the ship and I had no choice ... it immediately became a "must do".  I have only ever cruised once before (Disney). 

I can't wait to be an official "Cunarder"!  I think I'll fit right in now that I spent a small fortune on formalwear!  Fingers crossed!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tlcm said:

This movie is the reason I scheduled my QM2 crossing.  I saw the ship and I had no choice ... it immediately became a "must do".  I have only ever cruised once before (Disney). 

I can't wait to be an official "Cunarder"!  I think I'll fit right in now that I spent a small fortune on formalwear!  Fingers crossed!

tlcm,

Regardless of how one may feel about the movie, I think all would agree that the Queen Mary 2 should have gotten the Oscar for Best Performance. Having made two trans-Atlantic crossings on the QM2, I can tell you that this ship is even more multidimensional than what was shown in the movie. The film did a great job of presenting the formality, the nod towards British tradition and the wonderful service that you will experience. However,  because the storyline of the movie was somewhat dark, what you didn't see were the levels of gaiety, passenger friendliness and excitement that you will experience. Live music, which can be found all over he ship, is a big part of the QM2 experience as well. We will be boarding two weeks after you disembark and hope you will find time to add a review. Maybe you can even post a video and then Let Them All Talk🙂

Jack

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tlcm said:

You have made a very good choice - and I second everything that @jack dawson wrote above.  We are due to sail once again on a TA in mid-December and I am counting down the days -- and the calories, so I can fit into my own formal wear.  

There are several good first timer threads on here where people ask about what its like and responders  (like me) go on and on about how great it is, and the myriad of experiences, foods, performances, lectures etc. that there are to do.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

tlcm,

Regardless of how one may feel about the movie, I think all would agree that the Queen Mary 2 should have gotten the Oscar for Best Performance. Having made two trans-Atlantic crossings on the QM2, I can tell you that this ship is even more multidimensional than what was shown in the movie. The film did a great job of presenting the formality, the nod towards British tradition and the wonderful service that you will experience. However,  because the storyline of the movie was somewhat dark, what you didn't see were the levels of gaiety, passenger friendliness and excitement that you will experience. Live music, which can be found all over he ship, is a big part of the QM2 experience as well. We will be boarding two weeks after you disembark and hope you will find time to add a review. Maybe you can even post a video and then Let Them All Talk🙂

Jack

Ha ha!  Maybe I will post about my experience.  I'm no @sid_9169 though!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

You have made a very good choice - and I second everything that @jack dawson wrote above.  We are due to sail once again on a TA in mid-December and I am counting down the days -- and the calories, so I can fit into my own formal wear.  

There are several good first timer threads on here where people ask about what its like and responders  (like me) go on and on about how great it is, and the myriad of experiences, foods, performances, lectures etc. that there are to do.  

Oh yes ... I have been reading so much.  I'm fascinated by this community and grateful to be privy to such detailed information.  For me, half the fun is in the planning!  

• Like 1

I feel that what was missing in the movie was the other passengers, and what they add to the experience.  If course, the storyline made other people irrelevant, but in that respect it did not give a good representation of a Cunard crossing.

We've always been fortunate in having cordial, interesting dinner table mates.  Sailing as a twosome, we do have that advantage.

We also enjoy the "people watching" onboard, whether beautiful, eccentric, or otherwise.  There is always a variety.

And the festive atmosphere just was not there; the feeling of "Aren't we fortunate to be here, on this wonderful ship with these wonderful people".  Again, the storyline didn't lend itself to any of that, but it left a void for me.  Luckily, I know the reality!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I loved this movie and only stumbled upon it when a lady next to me on a plane was watching a movie with a scene on a cruise ship! I couldn’t believe I didn’t know about a cruise movie, so I immediately searched for the title and watched it! 

I loved it, too.

11 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I loved this movie and only stumbled upon it when a lady next to me on a plane was watching a movie with a scene on a cruise ship! I couldn’t believe I didn’t know about a cruise movie, so I immediately searched for the title and watched it! 

Netflix or Amazon Prime?

On 10/4/2021 at 5:42 AM, Host Hattie said:

I don't think it's available to watch in the UK yet.

You are not missing much Hattie, I went to some effort the other night to obtain it and it seemed only a vehicle for Cunard and not even a very good one. Yes the ship looked nice in the background but nothing spectacular as the ship is in real life.

The story line seemed unfinished and tried to cover to much with too little in-depth character investigation, the ship really seemed an afterthought and if you didn't know the ship personally the backgrounds could have been a set. 

Im afraid that even the great Meryl couldn't carry the movie......

but that's my humble opinion......

Edited by roscoe39

I have always wondered as I was on the QE on the maiden World Cruise segment from Dubai to Southampton in 2011 (does not seem so long ago) and there was a I believe Japanese crew filming on board. Have looked but unable to find anything. 

On 12/8/2021 at 5:40 AM, busmech said:

I have always wondered as I was on the QE on the maiden World Cruise segment from Dubai to Southampton in 2011 (does not seem so long ago) and there was a I believe Japanese crew filming on board. Have looked but unable to find anything. 

it was a French film crew, it is a five part program that you can find on tube, its called 'The adventures of a Gentlement Traveller", they were a nice group and pretty well kept out of the way of the other travellers and interacted mainly with the French passengers.

There is an English version on Utube and well worth the watch,