Covid on Iona

Cathygh

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve just seen a couple of posts on a social media site regarding someone on a Fred Olsen cruise. ( Not sure if I can mention the name, but think of the noise a little bird makes) 

The person reports that one of their dinner table mates tested positive and the whole table were offloaded  at Funchal. They’ve all got to stay in an isolation hotel for 10 days. The person who was positive was originally taken to hospital, but is now in a different hotel.

If this is all true, it’s food for thought. Not only was the positive person offloaded but close contacts too.  I think it’s probably best not to share a dining table with anyone outside of your party, and also to consider the increased possibility of the cruise ending abruptly and being left overseas. I wonder if insurance covers this scenario 

I've also read on another cruise where 10 couples. who shared a coach on a shore excursion where someone tested positive were all asked to isolate in their cabins pending Covid test results they had to take

It's at the stage where you are probably best not wanting to share tables or shore excursions with others

Basically dont sign up to anything that shows you as a close contact as it just increases your risk of your holiday ending prematurely

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If everyone thought that way, there would be no cruise industry left in 2023 ! And I believe the majority on here will certainly not be applauding the decision.   

And why is it excellent! 

We all have to make our own decisions,  but waiting until 2023 seems excessive.

We have done our own mini risk assessment,  and are happily cruising later this month,  three times next year, and again in 2023.  

Seems perfectly reasonable to me to wait to book a cruise.

if I wasn’t stuck with the two cruises that I originally booked in October 2019, I wouldn’t even be entertaining the idea of cruising at this point in the Covid era, and I won’t be booking any fresh cruises just yet. 

As you say, we all have to make our own decisions. Good luck with yours 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

if I wasn’t stuck with the two cruises that I originally booked in October 2019, I wouldn’t even be entertaining the idea of cruising at this point in the Covid era,

At last, someone else ... I was beginning to think it must be me alone. Welcome to the club!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

And that's exactly why they should have been honest that the insurance policies they are pushing at you may well not cover you if their intended course of action of removal if you are a close contact occurs. 

Of course there are many on here and elsewhere who wouldn't choose to book a new cruise knowing what they do now, but an awful lot of them are locked in to trips already paid for before the protocols were announced.  The cruise companies have behaved in an underhand way, particularly with their announcements being so close to departures. 

You clearly are happy with the situation although your complaints about people's behaviour on Iona would appear to offer a different view.  If you are happy to cruise with the risk you may be offloaded at your own cost, having to possibly get involved in complex monetary discussions and legal requirements while maybe your family member is unwell that is your prerogative.   

You are, however, quick to judge your fellow passenger.  If the rules were not being followed that is surely as much a failure by P&O for allowing these groups to share and if it worried you so much perhaps you could have had a quiet word on the issue with those in charge. Of course there is always the possibility P&O were happy with the other people's dining arrangements and your idea of wrong doing may in fact have on this occasion been perhaps incorrect.

I asked P&O several weeks ago what would happed if you tested positive on a ship. After several attempts at waffle on their part this is what they said :- 

'Hi Lesley, if there is an outbreak on board,

our comprehensive new protocols are designed to protect the health and well-being of all our guests and crew. We have plans in place, tailored for each ship, to manage medical needs including dedicated cabin capacity for isolation should this be required.'       NO MENTION OF BEING OFFLOADED TO SHORE.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CABINET said:

This is all very worrying.  I cannot fly so only cruise from Southampton (and back obviously).

When reading about the quarantine cabins I assumed that's where anybody who developed covid would be placed and they would only be removed from the ship if they became dangerously ill. 

Obviously becoming seriously ill is a risk but, I thought, hopefully a fairly small one. 

Testing positive but not being particularly unwell on the other hand is far more likely so being offloaded and then being unable to get home is a pretty scary prospect. 

I have a cruise booked for the end of next year and am beginning to wonder if I have made a mistake.

Try not to worry too much, as things are changing all the time.

If things carry on as they are now, you’ll probably have the opportunity to move the cruise forward to a later date without any penalty. At the very worst, if you cancelled completely before the final payment date, you’d just lose your deposit - as deposits are quite small these days, taking a hit on a couple of hundred pounds for the sake of peace of mind would be a reasonable price to pay. But plenty of time to go, so no need to do anything now. 

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But the pandemic is passing 

Is it? As we head into autumn? Seriously?

Here's my risk assessment

Risk of me and/or someone in my party getting offloaded after displaying positive COVID symptoms:

Probability - low/medium

Impact - very high (stuck abroad potentially infected with the prospect of interesting conversations with my insurance provider...)

That's a big "red" in my book...

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

So we don't get off then! Caribbean looks like it wont be much fun if we avoid excursions  ... 

Me personally I think if getting off involved a test we would stay on board

But if it didn't need a test and you can get off and do stuff privately then we would get off

I would also ensure we didn't do anything on the cruise that allowed us to be linked as close contacts of anybody else

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Me personally I think if getting off involved a test we would stay on board

But if it didn't need a test and you can get off and do stuff privately then we would get off

I would also ensure we didn't do anything on the cruise that allowed us to be linked as close contacts of anybody else

Me to, We are off to the Canaries at the end of November and should these protocols still be in place , we wont be getting off anywhere that requires a test or doing any excursions that could potentially link us to anyone else.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Risk of me and/or someone in my party getting offloaded after displaying positive COVID symptoms:

Probability - low/medium

Impact - very high (stuck abroad potentially infected with the prospect of interesting conversations with my insurance provider...)

With Covid and testing for holidays I've always got the impression people just look at it as pain in the neck and a stress and expense they could do without

But will get on with it just to enjoy the holiday

They never really think they will actually test positive and consider what happens then

But the fact is every test you personally take or a close contact of yours on a cruise takes significantly increases your chances of having your holiday curtailed

I was accused of over thinking Covid risks to our holidays when I first joined on here

I'm thinking that in fact most people have been under thinking the risks on here until lately

And the more we see what's happening as cruises get going properly again the more we will think twice

As cruises add capacity and try and get closer to normal  it's inevitable the number of Covid outbreaks on cruises can only increase

I'm heavily leaning towards the Southampton cruises in the New Year now even though we really want some sun

Enjoying the ships facilities and restaurants and bars and entertainment whilst avoiding anything that results in us having to have another test on the ship once we are on board

Knowing if we did get Covid it's better to get it closer to home than the Caribbean

Minimise the risk of ruining a holiday

But still having a nice break

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Probability - low/medium

You took that sentence out of context, if you read my post fully You would have noted that I too am concerned about being offloaded into a quarantine hotel. We are supposed to be heading toward some sort of normality as the vaccine gives us some protection, so whilst I would be prepared to accept quarantine on the ship, being offloaded in a foreign port is a protocol too far for me.

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You took that sentence out of context, if you read my post fully You would have noted that I too am concerned about being offloaded into a quarantine hotel. We are supposed to be heading toward some sort of normality as the vaccine gives us some protection, so whilst I would be prepared to accept quarantine on the ship, being offloaded in a foreign port is a protocol too far for me.

Should potentially needing to be hospitalised in a foreign country not be our first concern?

Are we all just thinking it won't happen to me

I think it's got to the stage where we are all missing overseas holidays so much we ignore the real risks and instead look at lower risks purely to our holidays themselves

We are all doing that I'm sure

1 minute ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Would be interested to know if passengers are being told that they will taken off the ship if they test positive. I suspect the ports requiring these test will become pretty quickly.

Given that on this cruise only Gib requires a test, it's not really an issue.

4 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Would be interested to know if passengers are being told that they will taken off the ship if they test positive. I suspect the ports requiring these test will become redundant pretty quickly.

But surely if you test positive the best place for you is ashore with proper medical care available if things take a turn for the worse?  The Covid insurance would also pay in this instance, so no problem. The only ones who need worry would be those who genuinely cannot fly (not those of won't- distinct difference) and arrangements could be put in place to counter this if you are in Europe (ferries/trains).

The Caribbean is a whole different kettle of fish.  We are assuming from now to March quite a large number of countries aren't going to change their rules and state they want everyone on board tested regularly if they have been off the ship. Those on the longer cruises with no flights are going to arrive in places like Barbados and possibly need a PCR 72 hours before. It's not always going to be possible to avoid a test, and to be honest I think I'm not alone in saying I'd actually welcome more testing on these port intensive cruises.

For cruising Europe is one thing, the rest of the world possibly another.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

For cruising Europe is one thing, the rest of the world possibly another.

I think that about sums it up for me.  Pros and cons to cruising at present, and I certainly don’t see the pandemic as ‘passing’ anywhere yet, but far too may cons for the few pros as things stand.

I'm a bit worried but I am going to cruise in December. Why? Well just because I want to. My husband, one of my brothers, my mum all died young. I could sit here on my own as I have done for over 2 years or I could just go do something I love. I know the risks (I was a doctor) but the way I travel it seems OK for me so I am going.

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve just seen a couple of posts on a social media site regarding someone on a Fred Olsen cruise. ( Not sure if I can mention the name, but think of the noise a little bird makes) 

The person reports that one of their dinner table mates tested positive and the whole table were offloaded  at Funchal. They’ve all got to stay in an isolation hotel for 10 days. The person who was positive was originally taken to hospital, but is now in a different hotel.

If this is all true, it’s food for thought. Not only was the positive person offloaded but close contacts too.  I think it’s probably best not to share a dining table with anyone outside of your party, and also to consider the increased possibility of the cruise ending abruptly and being left overseas. I wonder if insurance covers this scenario 

I can clarify something here.  Fred has a system that people can be put on shared tables for evening meals, which are set seating and that group if people become a "bubble".  They are then allowed to go to other venues, restaurants, theatre, quizz etc. on the ship and sit closely together in that bubble.  Hence those people are equivalent to family bubbles, etc. rather than just table companions. Some people wish that to happen so they can have companionship on board.  We have asked for tables for two on Fred as we have with a forthcoming Princess cruise, where we have had to book each evening meal individually.

Another point is that if we, personally, had been asked to isolate because of contact with others, we would much prefer to go ashore and stay in a hotel rather than be coupled up in a ship's cabin, or if we test negative could quite possibly travel home, certainly if within the UK.  Hence I do wonder if the people concerned also chose to leave the ship, rather than be put in quarantine, couped up in a cabin on the ship. 

Stories like this, with limited first hand information provided, take no time at all to have the chicken licken effect.

Edited by tring

4 minutes ago, tring said:

I can clarify something here.  Fred has a system that people can be put on shared tables for evening meals, which are set seating and that group if people become a "bubble".  They are then allowed to go to other venues, restaurants, theatre, quizz etc. on the ship and sit closely together in that bubble.  Hence those people are equivalent to family bubbles, etc. Some people wish that to happen so they can have companionship on board.  We have asked for tables for two as we have with s forthcoming Princess cruise.

Another point is that if we, personally, had been asked to isolate because of contact with others, we would much prefer to go ashore and stay in a hotel rather than be coupled up in a ship's cabin, or if we test negative could quite possibly travel home, certainly if within the UK.  Hence I do wonder if the people concerned also chose to leave the ship, rather than be put in quarantine, couped up in a cabin on the ship. 

Stories like this, with limited first hand information provided, take no time at all to have the chicken licken effect.

I would want to know a lot more about what you get at  the quarantine hotel before making that choice tbh

I can't imagine the quarantine hotels to be too appealing nor the food options 

Again though this assumes you are only mildly infected and well enough to care

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I would want to know a lot more about what you get at  the quarantine hotel before making that choice tbh

I can't imagine the quarantine hotels to be too appealing nor the food options 

Again though thus assumes you are only mildly infected and well enough to care

My comment was about people who were not infected, but purely contacts.  I am not sure a quarantine hotel would come into it, and certainly would not in the UK.

17 minutes ago, tring said:

What a good analogy and so right in my opinion. So much supposition, speculation and guesswork is masking a serious point about insurance cover.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tring said:

I can clarify something here.  Fred has a system that people can be put on shared tables for evening meals, which are set seating and that group if people become a "bubble".  They are then allowed to go to other venues, restaurants, theatre, quizz etc. on the ship and sit closely together in that bubble.  Hence those people are equivalent to family bubbles, etc. rather than just table companions. Some people wish that to happen so they can have companionship on board.  We have asked for tables for two on Fred as we have with a forthcoming Princess cruise, where we have had to book each evening meal individually.

What's the difference about couped up in cabin on board ships, against being couped up in a hotel room. If you are isolating you would not be allowed out of either, and would need to have all your meals in the room. If the quarantine cabin had a balcony then I know which I would prefer.

£70pppn for an inside cabin?

We booked a balcony on Iona on a saver fare for £799 for 14 nights. That's £57pppn.

That price doesn't include booze of course so you'll need to factor how much you drink into the equation but I doubt even once that rebalancing is done you'll find better value for money at any half reasonable AI.

• Like 1