Should we boycott Princess until Medallion App works ?

kbt cruiser

Personally, I would think carefully before booking on Princess (my favourite cruise line). There is only one way to put your data in, through the Medallion App, and it simply doesn't work. For example - to type my passport number takes 4 seconds. To scan my passport through their app on an iPhone took me 17 minutes. I could go on. I've been going over 2 hours now, still not completed one traveller, and I've had to reboot my iphone 3 times to get past errors and hangs. It is monumentally terrible.

Princess should be on here apologising and telling us who is going to resign. Never, ever release software untested, and NEVER take away the manual version before the software is working properly. So basic.

• Like 8

If you have a cruise booked and cannot get the app working there will be Princess agents at the pier to assist you. Several of us on here contacted Princess a few months ago and had this confirmed. 
I sincerely hope you get the help you need. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kbt cruiser said:

Princess should be on here apologising and telling us who is going to resign. Never, ever release software untested, and NEVER take away the manual version before the software is working properly. So basic.

Why should Princess be on Cruise Critic apologizing?

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Why should Princess be on Cruise Critic apologizing?

For releasing untested software so that their customers cannot check-in, cannot enter their data, book excursions etc etc. As an Elite member, I thought you might find that unacceptable

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kbt cruiser said:

For releasing untested software so that their customers cannot check-in, cannot enter their data, book excursions etc etc. As an Elite member, I thought you might find that unacceptable

Again… why should they be posting an apology on Cruise Critic? It isn’t a forum operated by Princess nor do they have any strategic alliance with it.

Why do you think someone should be terminated over this? The app was tested and met the expectations and performance requirements as part of the Apple Developer Program for iOS. Loyalty status shouldn’t make a difference with someone’s opinion over an app’s performance.

If you’re having difficulty, there will be agents available to assist you.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

Again… why should they be posting an apology on Cruise Critic? It isn’t a forum operated by Princess nor do they have any strategic alliance with it.

Why do you think someone should be terminated over this? The app was tested and met the expectations and performance requirements as part of the Apple Developer Program for iOS. Loyalty status shouldn’t make a difference with someone’s opinion over an app’s performance.

Well, yes, I was onto them for 55 minutes including the Medallion team. They admitted it was rubbish, didn't work and that their was no web based alternative, and most people would just have to check in manually at the departure port. So Princess know it's a problem, but are just letting every passenger find out for themselves with no prior warning.

I know this is independent, but I'm sure they monitor it. Any CIO worth his/her salt would resign over such a debacle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

All that shows how low the standards are at Apple these days. Anyhow Apple is not the developer of the application.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

All that shows how low the standards are at Apple these days. Anyhow Apple is not the developer of the application.

Sure, but they test it to make sure it meets the requirements for publishing. Never did I say Apple developed the app — only that it met the performance requirements as part of the Developer Program. OP was concerned that no testing was done… which cannot happen if a developer is submitting their app.

• Like 1

Sure, but they test it to make sure it meets the requirements for publishing. Never did I say Apple developed the app — only that it met the performance requirements as part of the Developer Program. OP was concerned that no testing was done… which cannot happen if a developer is submitting their app.

The point is, it doesn't work

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

There standards for testing an app for publishing are very low. Basically they attempt to see if it is a carrier of malware.

In my humble opinion which is based on many decades of software R & D the Medallion app actually behaves like malware. The constant reloading of pages could be considered a Denial of Service attack.

Additionally it is really bloated for what it does. It does not need to be 512 MB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

If you have a cruise booked and cannot get the app working there will be Princess agents at the pier to assist you. Several of us on here contacted Princess a few months ago and had this confirmed. 

That doesn't really FIX it, does it?

• Like 1

Yes, the App is a complete disaster and a poor reflection on Princess. I have cruised a few times with Princess and quite loyal to them. I have also been on a few Medallion cruises and am pretty familiar with the Princess procedures, however if you hadn't cruised with princess before and started using this App to check in you would be entitled to wonder what hillbilly cruise line you had booked with.

• Like 4

Most of the time, the app just opens a webpage on your phone (which is a horrible data input device for those of us with aging eyesight and clumsy fingers) which is incredibly frustrating since they got rid of the ability to input information through the Princess website as I was in the process of doing so in the last couple weeks.

4 minutes ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

Four of us, with 4 different phone types, have two different upcoming cruises. Green lane across the board and medallions received for the first departure. App seems to be working well for us.  🤷‍♂️

Same for us.....no problems on cruise later this year....sometimes change is just hard for some to accept I guess?

• Like 4

Princess disconnected the phone number for medallion support, forcing folks to call the main number and listen to a useless recording. It's as if they don't even want to hear about our problems.

I would cancel all 7 bookings if I could, but it's hard to walk away from the bonus future cruise credits we've earned from all of the various cancellations.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kbt cruiser said:

I'm still going. 3.5 hours now to input details of 3 people. Just rebooting phone for 5th time

3 hours ago, dog said:

It does not fix your problem. It is offered as a suggestion to help. 

1 hour ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

Four of us, with 4 different phone types, have two different upcoming cruises. Green lane across the board and medallions received for the first departure. App seems to be working well for us.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Same for us.....no problems on cruise later this year....sometimes change is just hard for some to accept I guess?

Fortunately the App has worked for some. It is still causing many a lot of frustration. 
Princess has had a lot of time to get this working and offer another way to select dining times etc and they know this 

and yes changes are happening. We will be putting our vaccination proof in an APP shortly, so we might as well get use to these changes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kbt cruiser said:

I'm so sorry you are having these problems. I know it's frustrating. Our app works well. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for some working as they should & some causing such problems. I sincerely hope yours gets fixed. 

• Like 3