Should we boycott Princess until Medallion App works ?

kbt cruiser

34 minutes ago, barrykel said:

I'll bet anyone a dinner in the specialty restaurant of your choice that her account is setup perfectly and she has no problems at all.

I remember being on Grand in 19xx.  Peter Ratcliffe and his family were on board at the same time.

On the purser's side of the desk, they had his picture taped up.

But, I'm sure everyone received excellent service!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, barrykel said:

I'll bet anyone a dinner in the specialty restaurant of your choice that her account is setup perfectly and she has no problems at all.

I read it that Jan was going to use the passenger's booking as a test case, not Jan's own booking.

I also suspect that the web based product will be web based access to the new Medallion Database, rather than a return to the previous Personalizer. Will be nice to have PC access to data rather than smart phone keyboards.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I read it that Jan was going to use the passenger's booking as a test case, not Jan's own booking.

I also suspect that the web based product will be web based access to the new Medallion Database, rather than a return to the previous Personalizer. Will be nice to have PC access to data rather than smart phone keyboards.

Using a passenger's booking just means that one of the IT executives will get the name and tell the team to make sure that account is setup perfectly, and Jan will have no problems setting up that booking.
And it seems quite likely to me that both the web-based version and the app need to access both DBs, particularly for eMail address-based login (why do you think the support droids always tell people to login with the booking number?)

47 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Why do you think there are two different databases?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barrykel said:

Using a passenger's booking just means that one of the IT executives will get the name and tell the team to make sure that account is setup perfectly, and Jan will have no problems setting up that booking.

Who wants to be the employee who sets up an account for Jan that doesn't work perfectly?  I'm afraid I don't have the same faith in Jan that some do.  (I met her once.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Why do you think there are two different databases?

No real reason except that many early problems were reported as being due to corrupt data conversion. Also from my very limited understanding of Apps, I would think they'd need a new database structure, pulling data from various sources. @barrykelcan give a better response.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:52 PM, xDisconnections said:

Again… why should they be posting an apology on Cruise Critic? It isn’t a forum operated by Princess nor do they have any strategic alliance with it.

Why do you think someone should be terminated over this? The app was tested and met the expectations and performance requirements as part of the Apple Developer Program for iOS. Loyalty status shouldn’t make a difference with someone’s opinion over an app’s performance.

If you’re having difficulty, there will be agents available to assist you.

XD are you seriously joking or have vested interest in company.  She is absent CORRECT!!!!!  I leave Oct 30 and have zero success to access App ect ? I’m paid in full , we are frequent cruisers and I will NEVER EVER cruise again - not even sure since I have no boarding time nor info logged if I’m gonna get on upon flight in.  Phone numbers are disconnected or on hold for hours . And what’s the point of having a Princess REP at this point when they can’t help.  Seems like lost job to me - AND ayes Jan as well!!!!

3 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

No real reason except that many early problems were reported as being due to corrupt data conversion. Also from my very limited understanding of Apps, I would think they'd need a new database structure, pulling data from various sources. @barrykelcan give a better response.

Well they definitely would need a few more tables to store the additional data used for the new Medallion functionality, and it sounds like there was a new group developing the app (it's not likely that the existing Princess/Carnival developers had the requisite skills unique to mobile development). It would have been a lot easier for them to stand up a totally new DB to test the mobile app, rather than a new test DB that was an exact copy of the existing DB, not to mention that lots of IT managers like to have their own fiefdoms that they can control without interference.

So, if I have proof of payment, ALL clearance covid , health forms ect and can’t access crap - are we going to get on?  Fine, maybe?  OCT 30 LA Mexican Riviera

BUT I’m 52 and just had injury and total knee replacement so need some assistance? Now what??? Can’t get on? Can’t talk to rep , can’t get help and have NO boarding time as we fly in early.  So, I’m going to fight the traffic and ask for help and terminal? 

I could care less LESS about app just get me ON! Period and then I’ll just choose not to cruise with Princess again.  I’ve been on most lines and this as well.  Why why I did it , I’ll regret 

isn’t starting a vacation suppose to be fun?

1 minute ago, Bdarlin said:

So, if I have proof of payment, ALL clearance covid , health forms ect and can’t access crap - are we going to get on?  Fine, maybe?  OCT 30 LA Mexican Riviera

BUT I’m 52 and just had injury and total knee replacement so need some assistance? Now what??? Can’t get on? Can’t talk to rep , can’t get help and have NO boarding time as we fly in early.  So, I’m going to fight the traffic and ask for help and terminal? 

I could care less LESS about app just get me ON! Period and then I’ll just choose not to cruise with Princess again.  I’ve been on most lines and this as well.  Why why I did it , I’ll regret 

Princess is well aware that the app is a total nightmare for many. From what I'm hearing, there will be tons of help available at check-in. Show up when you want to. Bring what's needed, (in duplicate if need be), and they'll get you on the ship faster than you'd think.

If they can't get you on board, they should just give up and close up shop for good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:52 PM, xDisconnections said:

Why do you think someone should be terminated over this? The app was tested and met the expectations and performance requirements as part of the Apple Developer Program for iOS. Loyalty status shouldn’t make a difference with someone’s opinion over an app’s performance.

If you’re having difficulty, there will be agents available to assist you.

The opinions of the Apple employees that authorized the app's release are completely irrelevant if it doesn't meet the needs of its users.
And the presence of agents at the pier doesn't help someone who's been waiting on hold for hours to talk to a support droid who can't help them. Not to mention that they've disconnected the support line.
And the decision to disable the pre-cruise functionality on the website, leaving a large number of customers with no apparent backup when the app fails, is simply unforgivable and (in the opinion of pretty much everyone with any knowledge of proper IT development practice who has commented here) disqualifying for a high-paying IT executive position.
And while we now know that the backup is just to show up at the pier with all your docs, Princess didn't bother to mention that in any of their published documentation, an equally unforgivable decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Bdarlin said:

They have gotten tons of people on board with no interaction with the app at all.  Just have your proof of vaccination, test negative within 2 days of sailing passport etc. and you will get on.  Don't understand the knee thing I have total knee and hip replacements and I get around with no trouble, work out in gym etc,  I have never needed assistance getting on a ship

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, memoak said:

Don't understand the knee thing I have total knee and hip replacements and I get around with no trouble, work out in gym etc,  I have never needed assistance getting on a ship

Not everyone has the same good outcome you did.  (I know someone who has problems.)  However, I'm sure there will be someone to assist getting on the ship.  The staff are always helpful.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Your understanding is very poor as it appears to be that of the Medallion app developers. There is no reason for them to create a new database.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, memoak said:

They have gotten tons of people on board with no interaction with the app at all.  Just have your proof of vaccination, test negative within 2 days of sailing passport etc. and you will get on

I did not use a smart phone and here's my experience so there is no need to worry or stress.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:50 PM, ProfMHC said:

E888ABDA-176E-4C87-821B-D6A1388B3E68.jpeg.c0c690102029d1ca51de38f32083c9d7.jpeg

Coming soon. 

Months ago, several of us contacted Princess and found out about Reps being at pier to assist those with App problems. Others heard about this from Princess on the web updates Princess had on Mondays. So this has been. Answered on other sites fb, Twitter, personal responses by email, in phone calls 

Princess should have posted this on their main website and kept the Personalizer option. What is done is done. Time to move on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barrykel said:

The opinions of the Apple employees that authorized the app's release are completely irrelevant if it doesn't meet the needs of its users.
And the presence of agents at the pier doesn't help someone who's been waiting on hold for hours to talk to a support droid who can't help them. Not to mention that they've disconnected the support line.
And the decision to disable the pre-cruise functionality on the website, leaving a large number of customers with no apparent backup when the app fails, is simply unforgivable and (in the opinion of pretty much everyone with any knowledge of proper IT development practice who has commented here) disqualifying for a high-paying IT executive position.
And while we now know that the backup is just to show up at the pier with all your docs, Princess didn't bother to mention that in any of their published documentation, an equally unforgivable decision.

Thank you. That is so very well said about everything that is wrong with what Princess has done.

• Like 2

To the earlier poster who said they were on the Grand, and only 700 or so on board. We sail on Tuesday from a UK port on Regal and have been told it's at full capacity. I think the "seacation" trips where you can't get off, or only land in the same country, they did run at reduced capacity, but maybe there's a difference between US and European rules ?? Anyone just been, or still on a cruise in Europe and can comment on capacity ?