Should we boycott Princess until Medallion App works ?

kbt cruiser

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Why did they not start with a Web Based product ?????

Well, the app does enable some of the enhanced onboard functionality that I assume was presented to top management as a major selling point for the Medallion project (ordering drinks and making dining reservations from anywhere on the ship, etc.). But of course that doesn't excuse the incompetence of the decision to cripple the personalizer and rely exclusively on a new app of unproven reliability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barrykel said:

Well, the app does enable some of the enhanced onboard functionality that I assume was presented to top management as a major selling point for the Medallion project (ordering drinks and making dining reservations from anywhere on the ship, etc.). But of course that doesn't excuse the incompetence of the decision to cripple the personalizer and rely exclusively on a new app of unproven reliability.

I thought the new Web Based capability will be a Windows App, maybe not. A Windows App, while not a slam dunk, would not have had the platform incompatibilities. Perhaps as you said, overestimating the number of passengers with Apple phones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I thought the new Web Based capability will be a Windows App, maybe not. A Windows App, while not a slam dunk, would not have had the platform incompatibilities. Perhaps as you said, overestimating the number of passengers with Apple phones.

I would say not an App in the sense of a Smartphone App.  Rather, additional website functionality with a main menu and additional pages.  There is a difference in setting up personal info and other pre-cruise info at home versus on-board functionality. 

What they need to do is replicate all of the pre-cruise registration and ordering on the website.  It will be interesting if this interfaces directly with the MC App database.  IMO, what's left in Cruise Personalizer now ends up in POLAR (but I have no inside knowledge per se).  They may need to change some POLAR data stores - or perhaps will simply go to MC App database.  Hard to know until we see it delivered and how it functions.

6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I thought the new Web Based capability will be a Windows App, maybe not. A Windows App, while not a slam dunk, would not have had the platform incompatibilities. 

No, a Windows app would have some serious problems on Macs. The current website uses Java on the server and Javascript on the client, which is probably the most common basis for web apps (the other option, if you prefer Microsoft technologies, would be to use C# on the server instead of Java); no reason to expect the new one to be any different in that regard.

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I suspect that one problem might be that the Princess IT "experts" are totally unaware that different phones have different capabilities and that some people don't upgrade their phones every year just because of a few new features.  In fact I know someone who is still using a flip phone because all she wants to do w the thing is to make and receive phone calls.  She certainly does not want to have to buy a new phone just so that she can cruise on Princess.  The old manual system that all the cruise lines used worked.  Why "fix" something that ain't broke just to make thing easier and more profitable for Princess.

DON

Or at least transition from one to the other.  Not here today, gone tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, barrykel said:

I've seen reports here that they believe 90% of cruisers own smartphones, which makes no sense at all considering that just over 70% of Americans own smartphones.

That means that on the new mega ships with 4000+ passengers there will be anywhere between 400 & 1200 passengers without a smartphone, that represents still a fair amount of money. I am one of the "former" passengers without a smartphone, it is one of the many reasons we quit sailing with Princess.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Or at least transition from one to the other.  Not here today, gone tomorrow.

It's called risk management - you don't want to leave your customers without a backup if something fails. The executives at most of the companies I've worked for over the years understood the concept - the companies with executives that didn't understand it tend not to be around any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, barrykel said:

No, anyone who's doing mobile development (and pretty much any developer) is perfectly aware of the differences between the various mobile OS's and versions thereof. Where Princess appears to be misinformed is in their estimates of smartphone ownership among their customers - I've seen reports here that they believe 90% of cruisers own smartphones, which makes no sense at all considering that just over 70% of Americans own smartphones.

Their data on a 90% ownership  may be correct. People that cruise are not a representative subset of the general population. In other words, the 70% ownership of Americans does not apply. Not to mention that Americans make up a segment of cruisers internationally (I'd google that but I'm lazy).

So, can I assume that everyone here that has had an issue has clicked on the menu (upper right),  Picked Support, then More Assistance and then called O.C.E.A.N. to get assistance with the App, or, at least report an issue?

I'm gonna make a wild guess, that most folks with issues are running on older phones or haven't updated their phone in awhile. 

Just now, CruiseVA said:

Their data on a 90% ownership  may be correct. People that cruise are not a representative subset of the general population. In other words, the 70% ownership of Americans does not apply. Not to mention that Americans make up a segment of cruisers internationally (I'd google that but I'm lazy).

I would have thought that Princess cruisers tend older than the population at large, which would mean the percentage of cruisers with smartphones would be lower than the overall population. I could be wrong on that question, tho (tried googling, but results were inconclusive). Regarding the other issue, I was able to find a 2019 report from the Cruise Line International Association that said that 11.9 million cruisers were from the US, with China a very distant second at 2.4 million.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, barrykel said:

I would have thought that Princess cruisers tend older than the population at large, which would mean the percentage of cruisers with smartphones would be lower than the overall population. I could be wrong on that question, tho (tried googling, but results were inconclusive). Regarding the other issue, I was able to find a 2019 report from the Cruise Line International Association that said that 11.9 million cruisers were from the US, with China a very distant second at 2.4 million.  

I would think that age would trend them down as well, wonder what percentage of HAL cruisers have smart phones.   I haven't looked at any data regarding smart phones & age, but, I'd bet income, education would be pretty good predictors for that.

I did not know that the US leads in number of cruisers - interesting... 

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

So, can I assume that everyone here that has had an issue has clicked on the menu (upper right),  Picked Support, then More Assistance and then called O.C.E.A.N. to get assistance with the App, or, at least report an issue?

I'm gonna make a wild guess, that most folks with issues are running on older phones or haven't updated their phone in awhile. 

I haven't, and I won't.  I cannot be bothered.  I've never had to do that with any other app on my phone.  Why should I do it now.  And yes, I do keep my phone updated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

If I had an older phone which satisfied all my needs, why should have I have to upgrade it to a newer model or updated the operating system of my phone just to satisfy Princess.  They can go stuff themselves.  There are many other cruise lines out there that would be very happy to have my business.

DON

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

One should never assume...

I have a newer phone

I have a new iPad mini

I have contacted O.C.E.A.N navigator on multiple occasions

I have emailed them on multiple occasions

I have chatted live (almost useless)

I have connected with a CSR who was messaging the navigator

I have deleted app/reinstalled

I have uploaded most recent versions

I have checked CC for options

I have worked with friends (fellow passengers)

I will admit that iPhones seemed to work better than androids

I will admit that Princess really missed the mark on this app

I will admit that I have all green lane with an arrival time

I will admit that my Medallion Class App is currently working to the best of my knowledge, but not chancing anymore until I get on the ship.  

I will admit that I still look at the app several times a day to make sure everything is still there.  Not adding more or making any changes.

And yet, just now, when I check in...my arrival time has changed from showing 11:30 Group A to just Group A.  Looks like the powers that be are still tampering with the app.  

And you ask why do I not trust Princess.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 5:21 AM, CineGraphic said:

That cruise is in January......our sailing in November is the one I'm concerned about.

Is it too much to expect to be able to stroll on the ship with no delay as been the promise for over a year? Princess has 29 days to make things right, but my gut feeling is that they'll drop the ball and fail.

Up until now, Princess has been our cruise line of choice. It looks like it's time to give MSC a try.

So, MSC. 

MSC has a pretty good onboard product, especially if you're in Yacht Club. Otherwise--it's very much like Carnival-and their entertainment (especially production shows) are awful. BUT-Pre cruise? In comparison, the Medallion on Princess is like a Lamborghini, and the MSC pre-cruise experience is more Edsel. It's Bad. Really bad. So bad that they've sued their website developer, but somehow are locked into a contract to keep them. Nothing works. Just head on over to the MSC board and hear what they have to say. I've sailed with them once, and experienced it, and am sailing on them again next month, and I'm experiencing it again. Trust me, it's a struggle! 

17 hours ago, barrykel said:

No, anyone who's doing mobile development (and pretty much any developer) is perfectly aware of the differences between the various mobile OS's and versions thereof. Where Princess appears to be misinformed is in their estimates of smartphone ownership among their customers - I've seen reports here that they believe 90% of cruisers own smartphones, which makes no sense at all considering that just over 70% of Americans own smartphones.

And even if the 90% was correct and it also applied to Princess cruisers, what rational business would make a decision to cut off 10% of their customer base.

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, AF-1 said:

I am currently on Grand Princess. Have been onboard for five days. Anyone who is having issues with the app inputting any of your info, do not worry. At the port there a plenty of princess reps who will get your info and get you onto the ship quickly. 

For the people who can't get access the MedallionClass App, how do they know what time to show up at the pier for manual check-in?

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

For the people who can't get access the MedallionClass App, how do they know what time to show up at the pier for manual check-in?

If you can not gain any access to the app for getting your boarding times;  suggest you contact your travel agent or Princess Rep and have them assign a boarding time.  I am still perplexed as to why so many people are having issues with the app.  I can tell you this;  once you get within 30 days of sailing the app worked very smoothly and continued to work smoothly onboard the ship

• Like 1

Show up whenever you want. Let Princess deal with the mess.

I feel sorry for folks who don't even know about sites like Cruise Critic. They must be freaking out, not knowing that there are tons of us having problems.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

If you can not gain any access to the app for getting your boarding times;  suggest you contact your travel agent or Princess Rep and have them assign a boarding time.  I am still perplexed as to why so many people are having issues with the app.  I can tell you this;  once you get within 30 days of sailing the app worked very smoothly and continued to work smoothly onboard the ship

We are scheduled for a short cruise at the end of January and we are green lane.  The app still won't let us select an arrival time, promising it will become available closer to the sailing date.  That doesn't help others in our party who need to schedule their flights.  I have to meet them at the airport and bring them to the ship.  (Different flights from different cities.)

I think @CineGraphic has the best solution for us, even if we finally get to select an arrival time, it will be too late for us.  I'm not going to meet people at the airport in the morning and have to wait till afternoon to enter the pier.  We'll get to the pier when we get to the pier.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 4:57 AM, ontheweb said:

And even if the 90% was correct and it also applied to Princess cruisers, what rational business would make a decision to cut off 10% of their customer base.

I'm certain there are unintended details that have risen with this launch. One would be that  the 10% mention is a targeted group that doesn't adhere to the suggested formal dress code    😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I'm certain there are unintended details that have risen with this launch. One would be that  the 10% mention is a targeted group that doesn't adhere to the suggested formal dress code    😉

Why do you suggest that the 10% not having a smart phone means they do not follow the suggested formal dress code?

We are scheduled for a short cruise at the end of January and we are green lane.  The app still won't let us select an arrival time, promising it will become available closer to the sailing date.  That doesn't help others in our party who need to schedule their flights.  I have to meet them at the airport and bring them to the ship.  (Different flights from different cities.)

I think @CineGraphic has the best solution for us, even if we finally get to select an arrival time, it will be too late for us.  I'm not going to meet people at the airport in the morning and have to wait till afternoon to enter the pier.  We'll get to the pier when we get to the pier.

I just got off Grand Princess a week ago.  I did not get my boarding arrival time on the app until September 4th.  I sailed Oct 4th;  so  you most likely won't get assigned arrival slot until December.  I have read others getting arrival slots prior to 30 days; but it seems normal to get the time slot a month before.  FYI  the Grand Princess had 713 pax total.  We were 35% capacity

• Thanks 1