Champagne luncheon

Mudhen

We're on the Explorer Christmas/New Year's cruise and I have no idea if it will be offered or not, however has anyone

done this? If so, can you tell a little about it? What did they pour? Good stuff, I'm sure, but any details would be

appreciated.....even if we don't have to opportunity to enjoy.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, briar14 said:

Champagne Experience, Splendor, September 2021. Georgiana, Head Sommelier, presented this delightful, relaxed, luncheon to 23 passengers. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c7e9221195b6541f0686a650c2cb6f47.jpeg

Briar - That looks delightful!  Was this advertised prior to the cruise and did this have to be booked prior to the cruise, or was it announced/booked after you got onboard?

On Explorer in 2017 this or a similar offering was announced while on board.   The cost was ~$125.00 - $175.00.   We didn't have the services of Georgina but the Explorer Head Sommelier [with assistance from his team] was very engaging with the 20-30 guests attending.   Oh, the food was good too!

41 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Briar - That looks delightful!  Was this advertised prior to the cruise and did this have to be booked prior to the cruise, or was it announced/booked after you got onboard?

It was announced after we were on board. If you are interested, check with Reception so you will be notified if either a champagne or wine luncheon is planned.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d04213b06a4980513e208eb8a5bd613.jpeg

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Me neither (only two cruises).  Is this associated with themed cruises (Sept 21) or Christmas/New Years?  Is it open to everyone?

It has not (to my knowledge) been offered on any of our Regent cruises, as well. We're on for Xmas/New Years but have gotten no info. I have a feeling this will be something that we book, once onboard. Once we're a board, we'll ask one of the sommeliers. I'm sure they'll know.

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Another reason to make sure to attend the "Wines of the World" tasting on the first sea day, usually in the late morning. When you are there ask the head sommelier to sign up for the wine or champagne luncheon. Such a lovely experience.

I'm sorry but does every cruise have a wine/champagne luncheon?  I was on a cruise for Easter Sunday and was very unimpressed with what they did for dinner, just ham and lamb.  We get room service for breakfast, someone said they have a big Sunday Brunch (sea day) maybe that was more festive.   I don't remember any significant advertising for an Easter brunch. 

We also did the champagne brunch/tasting and it was an absolute blast.  First time I'd ever seen someone saber a bottle o' bubbly.  The pairings were fantastic.  

I can't remember where we heard about it, but it's definitely good advice to both attend the first wine tasting and get in good with the head sommelier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

........... only on Explorer & Splendor.

Caviar & champagne with breakfast every Sunday is available on all the ships

Thank You Flossie.

My wife likes caviar but I'm not sure she would think its worth her getting dressed for breakfast.  We love the room service breakfast.  Is the Champagne anything special or is it the house?

9 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Another reason to make sure to attend the "Wines of the World" tasting on the first sea day, usually in the late morning. When you are there ask the head sommelier to sign up for the wine or champagne luncheon. Such a lovely experience.

On the Regent cruises we've taken, there has been a "Wines of the World" tasting. We've never signed up for it because it seemed expensive for the wines offered, and we had already paid for an expensive cruise with very acceptable wine included, and the ability to upgrade to better wines for a reasonable price. We prefer to have wine pairings with food, and not just a tasting with crackers, which this seemed to be.

"The Champagne Experience" menu looks fantastic, and we would pay for that. If attending "Wines of the World" is the only way we can reserve "The Champagne Experience", then we unfortunately won't be experiencing it.

On my cruises there has never been a charge for the Wines of the World tasting, nor are you required to sign up. It is, however, a great way to see what some (although not all) of the wines onboard that are available, and to meet the head Somm. The biggest hurdle is that it is usually at 10:45 in the morning. Breakfast of Champions. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jimmcdaniel's experience(s) and ours are similar.   We attended; but went very-light on the wine tasting, and heavy on the crackers.  Pleasant venue, usually in Compass Rose.  Another nice, quiet venue to meet fellow travelers early-on.  

Then, a later lunch.  

Have not done the "full Monte" for the Champagne Luncheon.  Frankly, the champagnes we have experienced on Radisson/Regent cruises over the past 25+years have satiated our palates just-fine.  Ask for something different; you will get it with no hassle--and no extra charge.  

My favorite combination:  a glass of champagne while having a 'brat w/chips and potato salad at the Pool Grill on a sunny afternoon.  Spouse indulges this splurge no-more than twice on a cruise.  Then, back to fish (Miso-glazed sea bass served with on a banana leaf with sticky rice; and/or salmon).   

To each his/her own.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 4:16 AM, ronrick1943 said:

Looks great, never offered on the cruises we’ve been on.

20 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Me neither (only two cruises). 

We have seen these wine or champagne pairing lunches advertised during many of our cruises but have never signed up for one.

They are normally held on a sea day so are unlikely to be offered on a port intensive cruise.

7 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We've never signed up for it because it seemed expensive for the wines offered

On most cruises there is a free wine tasting covering the included wines on offer.

On some cruises there is an additional paid wine tasting event covering premium wines & champagnes.

• Like 1

I think this is true of all luxury lines but I find the Regent "complimentary" wines to be very uninspiring.  They are basically wines that retail for $8-14.   Then there is a large gap in price/quality to the connoisseur list.  Personally I wish they would raise prices and wine quality or offer something for extra charge for intermediate priced wines say in the $15 - $30 retail range. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I think this is true of all luxury lines but I find the Regent "complimentary" wines to be very uninspiring.  They are basically wines that retail for $8-14.   Then there is a large gap in price/quality to the connoisseur list.  Personally I wish they would raise prices and wine quality or offer something for extra charge for intermediate priced wines say in the $15 - $30 retail range. 

We've only been cruising with Regent since 2009 but I also think the quality of the basic wines has slipped a bit in the last few years.  We've encountered very few 'bad' wines, but it seems like the hidden gems we used to find are missing these days.  Nothing offensive, but nothing really exciting either.  'Uninspiring' is an apt description.

Honestly, at their current price point, tacking on a few hundred dollars more to have better wine throughout the cruise seems like a good proposition, IMO.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

We've only been cruising with Regent since 2009 but I also think the quality of the basic wines has slipped a bit in the last few years.  We've encountered very few 'bad' wines, but it seems like the hidden gems we used to find are missing these days.  Nothing offensive, but nothing really exciting either.  'Uninspiring' is an apt description.

Honestly, at their current price point, tacking on a few hundred dollars more to have better wine throughout the cruise seems like a good proposition, IMO.

Your experience is very interesting, we felt the quality dropped from 2016 -> 2019.  It appears the quality of the wine has deteriorated on all the luxury lines over the years.  Most of the wines you can buy at Harris Teeter for <$12.  I know it's not in the all inclusive model but even if you could buy a package of better wines every night with dinner it would be an improvement.  The complimentary list is ok during the day.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Your experience is very interesting, we felt the quality dropped from 2016 -> 2019.  It appears the quality of the wine has deteriorated on all the luxury lines over the years.  Most of the wines you can buy at Harris Teeter for <$12.  I know it's not in the all inclusive model but even if you could buy a package of better wines every night with dinner it would be an improvement.  The complimentary list is ok during the day.

Keeping in mind, of course, that even though they 'spotlight' a few wines each night, you can always ask for another wine from the included list at no extra charge.  And the upgrade fees to the reserve wines is usually pretty reasonable.

All the more reason to attend the early wine tastings to see what the included wines are and which ones are to your taste.  🍷

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1