Horrible service from Flight by Celebrity

Love2cruise77

Just want to share my experience with Flight by Celebrity.

We booked an American Airline non-stop flight through Celebrity from FLL to JFK, the airline cancel the flight and moved us to a non-stop flight at 11:00am, but Celebrity deemed too early.  So their deviation team booked us in a one-stop flight with a 49 minute connection instead. 

First call to them, they told me I could get a JetBlue non-stop flight instead.  Then they told me that the deviation team said no.  I asked if we can get a connection flight with a bit more time in between the two flights.  They submitted the request and we got confirmation email a few days later of the same flight they booked us initially with the 49 minute connection.  When I called to inquire, they said they haven't processed the request yet (but why would I get a confirmation email then?).  They said my flight is not until November, so I should wait five weeks for a response.  Still haven't gotten any response from them.  By the time they actually add on the request, there's probably no available flight/seat.  Had I known this is the service they provide, I would have booked directly with the airline and get this resolved myself.  Now, I just need to wait for the deviation team to act when they feel like it (if my request is actually still out there and not already closed).

Just want to share my experience for anyone who is considering Flight by Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CAn’t you just cancel your flight through Celebrity and book it yourself independently?   Flights it’s right now are a mess with multiple cancellations and it is only predicted to get worse between now and the holidays.  Might be better off taking the train, a couple on this board gave a good review of the train that goes to Florida.   Our UA Flight to Miami in late January was cancelled and we now have a six hour layover in Chicago.   Hope we can get better flights before then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Covepointcruiser said:

Our UA Flight to Miami in late January was cancelled and we now have a six hour layover in Chicago.   Hope we can get better flights before then!

I fly United exclusively and have always found it more convent, and in most cases cheaper,  to fly into aft. Lauderdale than Miami on United.  Getting an Lyft or Uber from FLL to Miami is not a challenge. 

you may want to look at that option instead of a six hour layover at ORD.

This is just the kind of thing 'we' all have to deal with.  Consider if, yourself was one of the many passengers this past couple of weekends...  Things happen.   Nobody is picking on you.  It's just the stuff we all have to deal with.  Otherwise, fly NetJets - they won't disappoint.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love2cruise77 said:

Just want to share my experience with Flight by Celebrity.

We booked an American Airline non-stop flight through Celebrity from FLL to JFK, the airline cancel the flight and moved us to a non-stop flight at 11:00am, but Celebrity deemed too early.  So their deviation team booked us in a one-stop flight with a 49 minute connection instead. 

First call to them, they told me I could get a JetBlue non-stop flight instead.  Then they told me that the deviation team said no.  I asked if we can get a connection flight with a bit more time in between the two flights.  They submitted the request and we got confirmation email a few days later of the same flight they booked us initially with the 49 minute connection.  When I called to inquire, they said they haven't processed the request yet (but why would I get a confirmation email then?).  They said my flight is not until November, so I should wait five weeks for a response.  Still haven't gotten any response from them.  By the time they actually add on the request, there's probably no available flight/seat.  Had I known this is the service they provide, I would have booked directly with the airline and get this resolved myself.  Now, I just need to wait for the deviation team to act when they feel like it (if my request is actually still out there and not already closed).

Just want to share my experience for anyone who is considering Flight by Celebrity.

Yikes!  Your post was #666, "Love2Cruise77"!  But anyway ...

We have been using FBC [Flights By Celebrity (formerly known as ChoiceAir)] for more than ten years.  They have always done a superb job for us and have saved us a lot of money.

Keep in mind that FBC was not at fault in this case.  It was American Airlines that canceled a flight and moved you to an earlier one.  Now FBC is trying to protect you from failing to get from the ship to the airport early enough.  FBC is very strict about their rule in that regard -- usually having a cut-off time of 11:30 or 12:00, depending on the time of the ship's arrival and maybe other factors.

We can understand your frustration, though, because what you appear to wish to do seems reasonable.  We think that your effort to switch to JetBlue got turned down because FBC may not have a cooperative contract with JetBlue, so they cannot move you from American without incurring a significant financial loss. 

We hope that something can be worked out.  We recommend that you keep storming FBC with phone calls.  Good luck!

Edited by jg51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Yikes!  Your post was #666, "Love2Cruise77"!  But anyway ...

We can understand your frustration, though, because what you appear to wish to do seems reasonable.  We think that your effort to switch to JetBlue got turned down because FBC may not have a cooperative contract with JetBlue, so they cannot move you from American without incurring a significant financial loss.

Didn't notice post #666, that's spooky...

I didn't ask for JetBlue, their agent said I could get that flight.  But then when they submitted the request, it was turned down.  I think that's when the deviation team decided the case is closed.  My subsequent request for a connection with more time in between is simply ignored.  I will wait for the 5 week mark and call them, but I doubt there will be any action on their side.  They will say wait, and nothing will happen until the day of my flight.  I hope I can make the short connection...

12 hours ago, Love2cruise77 said:

Didn't notice post #666, that's spooky...

I didn't ask for JetBlue, their agent said I could get that flight.  But then when they submitted the request, it was turned down.  I think that's when the deviation team decided the case is closed.  My subsequent request for a connection with more time in between is simply ignored.  I will wait for the 5 week mark and call them, but I doubt there will be any action on their side.  They will say wait, and nothing will happen until the day of my flight.  I hope I can make the short connection...

I will not put this in the category of horrible service, but rather to point out, that for me, I have had great results using Celebrity Air.  Got a notice this morning that my May 2022 flights from Bos to Ams and return from Ams to Boston, both had slight time changes, 15-20 minutes, irrelevant as we fly in two days ahead and leave two days after cruise.  Only "issue" is we had booked bus on both and we still get that from Bos to Ams, but were moved to premium economy on the return.  Not the end of the world, if premium economy is all that is available, BTW Virgin made this change not Celebrity.  Got plenty of time so will still try to get Bus Class if we can.  I felt like this was really very good and early communication from Celebrity Air.

• Thanks 1

What was "too early" about the flight that the airline moved you to and why would that be a concern for Celebrity one way or another?  It's the airline's prerogative to move you to a flight if they change the schedules, so there should be no additional fees involved.  I'm not sure why Celebrity would change anything if it was the airline that moved you.  Are you sure you have the facts correct?  If so, I would ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them you expect to be put back on the nonstop flight that arrives at 11am since you booked a nonstop flight.  Is this for a same day embarkation?

19 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

What was "too early" about the flight that the airline moved you to and why would that be a concern for Celebrity one way or another? 

The flight departs at 11am, not arrives then. From reading the OP, it appears Celebrity believes the flight departure is “too early” after disembarkation. (See comment 7 above, as well.)

• Like 1

We just had the same thing happen to us for our December cruise. I booked first class round trip flights for the first time ever (one stop because we're flying out of Portland, ME). The departure flight stayed the same but the return flight changed to 10am and now it shows Economy class not first. FBC emailed today telling me that they are working on it and will contact me within 7 days to provide an update. Hopefully they come through since everything is paid in full already!! Good luck with your flights!

3 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

What was "too early" about the flight that the airline moved you to and why would that be a concern for Celebrity one way or another?  It's the airline's prerogative to move you to a flight if they change the schedules, so there should be no additional fees involved.  I'm not sure why Celebrity would change anything if it was the airline that moved you.  Are you sure you have the facts correct?  If so, I would ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them you expect to be put back on the nonstop flight that arrives at 11am since you booked a nonstop flight.  Is this for a same day embarkation?

They thought the return flight is too early at 11am.  This is why they decided to change the nonstop flight offered by the airline and changed it to one-stop instead.  I am fine with one stop, but at least give me more than 49 minutes to switch planes.  It will probably work out, but I don't want to be stranded on Thanksgiving weekend because of the short connection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love2cruise77 said:

They thought the return flight is too early at 11am.  This is why they decided to change the nonstop flight offered by the airline and changed it to one-stop instead.  I am fine with one stop, but at least give me more than 49 minutes to switch planes.  It will probably work out, but I don't want to be stranded on Thanksgiving weekend because of the short connection.

I completely missed that it was the return flight.  I can understand why they are reluctant to book it although in most cases you would be able to make that time (but then they'd have to deal with it if you didn't).  Is there a nonstop later in the day?  I really hate connecting flights, and I agree with you that a connection that is less than an hour is a risk.

11 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

I completely missed that it was the return flight.  I can understand why they are reluctant to book it although in most cases you would be able to make that time (but then they'd have to deal with it if you didn't).  Is there a nonstop later in the day?  I really hate connecting flights, and I agree with you that a connection that is less than an hour is a risk.

In the past, I have insisted on taking an earlier return flight than FBC allowed as we had always made that flight with lots of time on hand....of course it was understood (and probably written into my flight contract somewhere) that it was my responsibility if the flight took off without me.  But now with Covid still a caution, I wouldn't go that route.  If the ship's held up for a health inspection or for any reason, I'd rather be at the airport waiting for a flight than chewing my nails worrying whether I'll make it.

Edited by Oceangoer2

13 hours ago, Love2cruise77 said:

49 minutes is never enough between flights...surprised they even offered it.  We've dashed through airports more than once a la OJ..LOL....for a connection because the first flight was late coming in.  Lots can go wrong.

Edited by Oceangoer2