Pre Cruise Covid Test Preference for Embarkation

Jeter02

Pre Cruise Covid Test Preference for Embarkation  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pre Cruise Covid Test preference do you prefer or plan on using 48hrs prior to embarkation?

• At Home Covid Test Kit (Fee- Instant Results)
    • CVS, Walgreens, Etc (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation)

6 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

We used Walgreens and results in about 30min. Not a lot of praying to get results back in time. More if it is available when you need it with a 2-3 day scheduling window.

"We used Walgreens and results in about 30min. Not a lot of praying to get results back in time. More if it is available when you need it with a 2-3 day scheduling window. "

Where? Which test did you get at Walgreens? I don't believe Walgreens offers those test locally (west TN), but CVS does. At least their web site indicates they can be scheduled in the next couple of days....farther out even better.

Thanks.

Doug

I too do not understand how home testing is still acceptable......PCL states "medically observed".   

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/

COVID-19 Testing Requirements

Sailings from the United States2: We will also require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings. Guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test upon arrival in the terminal to board.

26 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Where? Which test did you get at Walgreens?

Wisconsin. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

I too do not understand how home testing is still acceptable......PCL states "medically observed".   

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/

COVID-19 Testing Requirements

Sailings from the United States2: We will also require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings. Guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test upon arrival in the terminal to board.

Scores of posts on Princess board about folks in US (not available in Canada) ordering tests where they are medically observed remotely via smartphone or other video call.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Perhaps a minor point, but isn't the time for the COVID test due two days prior to departure, rather than the more restrictive 48 hours? These requirements change rapidly, so perhaps I am behind the 8-ball ....again......<g>

Are the "at home, instant results" tests  'medically supervised'? Or are they more like the home pregnancy tests without any medical supervision?  I suppose those supervised require using your phone, tablet or a pc <with camera> to complete? Our cruise isn't until the end of February 2022 and I was hoping testing would not be required....but the rules have recently been updated.......BTW, we have had both Moderna shots 7 months ago, and hoping the Moderna booster is available in another month or two.

1.  I think all the cruise lines requiring tests before departure have standardized on two days and not just 48 hours.

2.  The at-home test mentioned and linked by Princess and proctored by eMed is considered medically supervised.  They do require the tester to have a camera to properly complete.

3.  The Moderna booster should be available soon.

27 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Wisconsin. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance, but did you have the "quick and easy, non-invasive" test or the more involved PCR test (I think that's the correct term)?

56 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance, but did you have the "quick and easy, non-invasive" test or the more involved PCR test (I think that's the correct term)?

Quick nasal swab antigen test.

I am in easy walking distance of both CVS and Walgreens but also I noticed 2 nearby walk in clinics.  Both clinics say there will be no cost and the results available in a short period of time.  A friend was being tested for a cruise at one of the clinics and got result in 15 minutes.  I personally went to the other clinic and got my results in 10 minutes.

I had overlooked both locations but decided that I should investigate them and glad I did.  I now have 4 options--the 2 retail pharmacies and the 2 walk in clinics.

I have other options and one of them is to be tested in Fort Lauderdale the day before sailing since I am driving down.  I plan to make an appointment at a CVS because that can be booked 13 days in advance and I will cancel it if I am successful at any of my 4 local options.

• Like 2

We aren't taking any chances so we made an appointment with one of our Dr.'s to do a PCR test two days before we embark with results back in 30 minutes for our Nov. 6th voyage.  The same Dr. is doing our next test before our December 28th voyage because of the issues with the Christmas weekend before that and Monday being the first day we can be tested after that.

There is a fee for doing it, which may or may not be something to submit to insurance, but the peace of mind that we are getting them done with the results back right away is worth the cost.

• Like 1

For those unaware, the at home test kit which needs be ordered online through a specific link, includes both the test kit and the teledoc whom wtches and observes you through a video call. The watch you from opening the kit, to taking the kit. then there is a 15 minute waiting period where you then speak to them again to go over your results. 

2 hours ago, Grego said:

We aren't taking any chances so we made an appointment with one of our Dr.'s to do a PCR test two days before we embark with results back in 30 minutes for our Nov. 6th voyage.  The same Dr. is doing our next test before our December 28th voyage because of the issues with the Christmas weekend before that and Monday being the first day we can be tested after that.

There is a fee for doing it, which may or may not be something to submit to insurance, but the peace of mind that we are getting them done with the results back right away is worth the cost.

I too have considered how busy or lack of available tests for those traveling during the holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas and or new years. 

3 hours ago, srice said:

I am in easy walking distance of both CVS and Walgreens but also I noticed 2 nearby walk in clinics.  Both clinics say there will be no cost and the results available in a short period of time.  A friend was being tested for a cruise at one of the clinics and got result in 15 minutes.  I personally went to the other clinic and got my results in 10 minutes.

I had overlooked both locations but decided that I should investigate them and glad I did.  I now have 4 options--the 2 retail pharmacies and the 2 walk in clinics.

I have other options and one of them is to be tested in Fort Lauderdale the day before sailing since I am driving down.  I plan to make an appointment at a CVS because that can be booked 13 days in advance and I will cancel it if I am successful at any of my 4 local options.

Nice!!!! Into plan on making an appointment 2 weeks prior to sailing, still back and forth on that and the home kit! 

Just be aware, CVS doesn't have appointments 2 weeks out in many locations.  I've been watching, at all hours, for the past 3 weeks.  I am lucky to run across one for the next day.  Unable to book dayssss out.  This is a recent problem.  

At the early start, I did the Walgreen PCR non-rapid test 2 times.  Both were returned within 40 hours.  I have done 2 Rapid Tests with CVS and both were reported back in 15 minutes with printable results within the hour.  

I currently hold an appointment at a private clinic for a rapid test.  Others have said they are quick and it works for Princess cruises.  There is an "administrative" fee, but insurance will cover test.  

I am glad everyone is being tested.  It is just so stressful.

Good luck to all 

57 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

For those unaware, the at home test kit which needs be ordered online through a specific link, includes both the test kit and the teledoc whom wtches and observes you through a video call. The watch you from opening the kit, to taking the kit. then there is a 15 minute waiting period where you then speak to them again to go over your results. 

Got that link for us who are totally unaware?😳

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

13 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Thanks for the link, but that's not from the Princess site, at least according to the html address. I always like to see that on  the cruise lines "official web site" just for security.

I did some additional digging around and found it on this page if anyone else needs that: https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/ You'll need to click on the "Is the Self Test Acceptable" on that page, then click on the link "Order Your Test Kit Online"; which is the link Jeter02 kindly supplied above.

Wow, another $70 per person hoop through which we need to jump. But it beats not cruising, eh? If some sort of test is still required for our cruises next year, which is looking likely, we will try something locally and hopefully less expensive first. But good to have a backup just in case.

Doug

I am fully vaccinated, and will be flying on a direct flight from Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale in March for my Princess cruise.  From this thread, I learned Princess requires PCR or Antigen testing 2 days before boarding.  Anyone knows if I also need to get testing to get on my AA flight?  

Thank you.

39 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am fully vaccinated, and will be flying on a direct flight from Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale in March for my Princess cruise.  From this thread, I learned Princess requires PCR or Antigen testing 2 days before boarding.  Anyone knows if I also need to get testing to get on my AA flight?  

Thank you.

There is currently no testing requirement for any flights within the U.S..  It's been discussed, and it COULD happen by March, but I rather doubt it.

19 minutes ago, Platinum Cruisers2 said:
On 10/17/2021 at 7:07 PM, Ombud said:

I answered "CVS, Walgreens, Etc (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation)" except I'm doing the rapid antigen test at CVS just like 8/13/21 for 8/15/21 cruise with results in an hour again. 

Expand  

What address please? Tia

Make your appointment up to 14 days ahead at 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic 

Locations in Contra Costa are:

Bancroft, Walnut Creek

San Ramon

Pleasanton

• Like 1

For us flying, it's a bit of a dilemma.  Finding a drugstore at the port is a bit of a pain.. along with using the time when we could be tourists.  (in our case we're going to San Fran.)

I suspect we'll be using that Emed option.  I think we can even conduct it BEFORE we board our flight.  I don't know if they will do the teledoc portion at all hours. Here's hoping that they do!  As a plus, it'll put our mind at ease for potentially wasting a flight to SF from Michigan.  Knowing that we're negative before boarding is a plus!  FWIW we are leaving 2 days before the cruise, not just one day.

Test kits thru emed are on back order. I put my email in to be notified when available. We’re flying in on thanksgiving for cruise on Saturday, so it doesn’t leave us with a lot of options. We may end up scheduling an appointment in Fort Lauderdale on Friday. We’ll be on the Sky princess and so looking forward to getting back to cruising! 🚢