Galveston Deluxe Beverage Package Question

texreno

I’m sure I’m not the first to ask but I can’t seem to find a thread that addresses how the Deluxe Beverage Package works when sailing out of Galveston, Tx.  I’ve read that Carnival doesn’t start their drink package until day 2 due to Texas law.  How does RC handle their drink package on day 1 out of Texas?

PS.  What’s a good pre-Cruise price for the Deluxe Beverage Package?

4 minutes ago, texreno said:

I’m sure I’m not the first to ask but I can’t seem to find a thread that addresses how the Deluxe Beverage Package works when sailing out of Galveston, Tx.  I’ve read that Carnival doesn’t start their drink package until day 2 due to Texas law.  How does RC handle their drink package on day 1 out of Texas?

PS.  What’s a good pre-Cruise price for the Deluxe Beverage Package?

My liberty was down to $43 a day. That's about as good as I've seen it. I think fewer are booking the pkg now with the free vouchers being anywhere, anytime.

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My liberty was down to $43 a day. That's about as good as I've seen it. I think fewer are booking the pkg now with the free vouchers being anywhere, anytime.

Free Vouchers????  Just where do you get those and how do you qualify?  Most of our 19 cruises have been on Carnival.  March, 2022 is only our 3rd RC cruise.

24 minutes ago, texreno said:

Free Vouchers????  Just where do you get those and how do you qualify?  Most of our 19 cruises have been on Carnival.  March, 2022 is only our 3rd RC cruise.

At a mere 80 pts, you hit diamond and they add 4 drink vouchers a day to your account. 5 for diamond plus and 6 for pinnacle. 

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

At a mere 80 pts, you hit diamond and they add 4 drink vouchers a day to your account. 5 for diamond plus and 6 for pinnacle. 

Thanks.  I guess we’ll need to sail RC a little often

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

Anyone know how much those taxes are?

You don't pay the taxes.  Royal pay the tax and only serve booze that has had Texas tax applied until they are a certain distance from shore on day 1.  I can't remember how far that is but it wasn't too long.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, live2cruise2011 said:

Wow 4 a day I was excited thinking it was 4 for the week….. 

You really have mini pigs in a motor home? Photo please. :classic_biggrin: We would love to see Arnold & Charlie. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc

Texas law states that on Sundays the only liquor served has to be bottled in Texas. So until we are 12 nautical miles out and in international waters, some brands of liquor and beer and wine are not available.  The drink package is available that day.  It's not a huge deal - you just might not be able to drink your favorite call brand until 30  minutes after sailaway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ship is required by Texas State law to charge sales tax on anything including drinks ordered while the ship is within the 12 mile limit.  I went to the bar to order a soft drink under the package and had to pay state sales tax.  

Also if you bring back full bottles of alcohol, Texas ABC will charge you a tax for importing alcohol of around $3 to $4 depending on the bottle size.  This applies to everyone regardless of what state or country you are from.  It is collected outside Customs and Immigration doors.  

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

But hey, Texas doesn't have a state income tax!

True but to make up for it the state, county and city have really nasty property taxes.  Depending on where one lives (county and city) an average $250,000 house has a $5,000/year approximately property tax.  The government has to get its money somehow to pay for police,, fire, schools, roads etc.  Some consolation! 

8 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The ship is required by Texas State law to charge sales tax on anything including drinks ordered while the ship is within the 12 mile limit.  I went to the bar to order a soft drink under the package and had to pay state sales tax.  

Also if you bring back full bottles of alcohol, Texas ABC will charge you a tax for importing alcohol of around $3 to $4 depending on the bottle size.  This applies to everyone regardless of what state or country you are from.  It is collected outside Customs and Immigration doors.  

Edited by cruisegus

On 10/21/2021 at 10:34 AM, wolfganghowell said:

Texas law states that on Sundays the only liquor served has to be bottled in Texas. So until we are 12 nautical miles out and in international waters, some brands of liquor and beer and wine are not available.  The drink package is available that day.  It's not a huge deal - you just might not be able to drink your favorite call brand until 30  minutes after sailaway.

This is complete nonsense, there is no such Texas law stating only TX bottled liquor can be served on Sunday. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, satxdiver said:

If you have a drink package, the tax isn’t charged to you. 
The TABC tax is a joke, just walk by the card table, no one looks twice. 

Has nothing to do with Sunday. It’s about Texas taxes being required to be paid on the booze sold in Texas. 

Royal keeps a stock of liquor that has Texas taxes paid and uses that for sale until outside the appropriate boundary.  Once they leave Texas legally, they open up the rest of the stuff. 

The “Texas selection” isn’t bad, but it’s a bit limited. It is still reasonable brands - Bacardi, Jack Daniel’s, etc.

And I’ve never been charged Texas tax on any drink purchased on a cruise out of Galveston with a drink package, soda package, or the diamond vouchers. And I’ve tried them all!

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Like 1