Tips on board

Interestedcruisefan

According to the website tips are now included on P and O

Weve always tipped our cabin staff and when we've had set dining times our waiters significantly at the end of each cruise

Its a tradition and we always developed a rapport with the guys above

With freedom dining thats entirely removed the chance of rapport. We don't mind that. We are happy dining randomly although we also enjoyed dining with other guests at set times in the past

Despite no tips rule I anticipated still tipping our cabin steward on our Britannia staycation as they normally have lots of interraction with you

However apart from when we first checked into the cabin we never saw them again

The new way of cruising not only removes the tradition of tipping but also seems to remove any desire to tip as you don't develop the affinity with crew as you barely see them

For all I know we may even have had different people cleaning our cabin each day

It's got negatives of course but at the same time it's got financial benefits

What do you guys think? 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

So you are basically tipping twice as P&O included tips in cruise fare only in recent times and they used to leave a guide with a recommended of £3-75 per night to cover tips for cabin steward and waiters. They also used to leave you envelopes in your cabin towards the end of the cruise to put your tip in to give to cabin steward/waiters. P&O started to include fares after many complaints because surprisingly the restaurant used to have many empty spaces on the last night so people could avoid giving tips. It cam to a head when Arcadia on a cruise from Southampton to Alaska many staff walked of the ship in America because of poor tips so in effect because so poorly paid by P&O and relied on tips. It was also rumoured and told to me by a waiter that those staff that walked off the ship once their contracts were up were never employed by P&O again.

Edited by majortom10

3 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

is there a written rule regarding No tipping ?

Regarding the staff walking off the Ship in America, do you have any proof of this ?

If their contracts were up, does that not mean they were going to leave anyway ?

P&O cruise ship Arcadia hits troubled waters over ousting of Indian crew | Carnival | The Guardian

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Despite no tips rule

There is no such rule ,P&O say "Tips are included (not no tips allowed ) and if you wish to tip extra to a member of staff you may do so ."  So what anyone does from there on is their personal choice .

Whilst the ghost of tips in cash has been dug up :classic_ohmy: I thought I may ask a question ..

Catching a coach down to Southampton does anyone tip the coach driver ?  

Catching a train    down to Southampton does anyone tip the train driver ?  

If the answer is not yes to both then no reply is needed I was just curious to see who do .:classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

There is no such rule ,P&O say "Tips are included (not no tips allowed ) and if you wish to tip extra

to a member of staff you may do so ."  So what anyone does from there on is their personal choice .

Whilst the ghost of tips in cash has been dug up :classic_ohmy: I thought I may ask a question ..

If the answer is not yes to both then no reply is needed I was just curious to see who do .:classic_unsure:

I've never ever seen a train driver to even consider tipping them

Coach drivers I have tipped when it's been a long journey

Especially ones who show a bit of friendliness etc

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've never ever seen a train driver to even consider tipping them

You cannot miss them they sit at the front end  of the train :classic_wink:

As I said only needed a reply if you did both but thanks for the reply anyway :classic_smile:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

And the train driver does not need a tip as the average salary is £48,500 and the most experienced can earn above £70,000, somewhat more than an average cruise ship worker methinks.

ASLEF will not like you saying that  Dave :classic_ohmy: :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

is there a written rule regarding No tipping ?

Regarding the staff walking off the Ship in America, If their contracts were up, does that not mean they were going to leave anyway ?

I find this hard to believe to be honest, that there was a waiter munity on board. Surely the red tops would have gotten the story, if true.

No there contracts were not up they walked off ship in protest when an agreement was reached they returned onboard and completed their contracts some for months. When contract is complete they go home for a period and many return when offered a new contract some for many years. But those that walked off the ship were never offered a contract ever again. 

Edited by majortom10

I have to say that as a probably moderately seasoned cruiser (16 to date) there are many points of view with regards to tipping and staff wages. On the one hand if staff wages weren't so low would we have to pay more ? But on the other I do fully sympathise with staff over this "Take it,or leave it attitude" by Carnival.

I do find that although in the minority some passengers treat the staff as lackies and although they are there to serve that doesn't mean they don't deserve respect for the hard work they put in and they are human beings just as we are. Treat other people as you would expect to be treated.

I myself always preferred to tip. Normally the Cabin Steward and the senior and junior waiters at our table. But I do understand why P&O and many other cruise lines have gone the route of including tips because as has been said many passengers would go AWOL on the last night so as to not have to tip. Also bar and other staff would be left out.

1 hour ago, kalos said:

There is no such rule ,P&O say "Tips are included (not no tips allowed ) and if you wish to tip extra to a member of staff you may do so ."  So what anyone does from there on is their personal choice .

Normally bung him a few quid when we leave the coach on the return journey.

1 hour ago, kalos said:

8 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Normally bung him a few quid when we leave the coach on the return journey.

Cheers for the reply . The question was put forward to make people think ?

As Dave said the train driver is on good money but there is nothing to stop people tipping 

anyone on or off a cruise ship but it's up to the individual if they tip on top of the tips included .

The amount they give is nothing to do with anyone else really , tips should be a private thank- you   Lets hope it remains that way for these hardworking guys :classic_smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I have to say that as a probably moderately seasoned cruiser (16 to date) there are many points of view with regards to tipping and staff wages. On the one hand if staff wages weren't so low would we have to pay more ? But on the other I do fully sympathise with staff over this "Take it,or leave it attitude" by Carnival.

I do find that although in the minority some passengers treat the staff as lackies and although they are there to serve that doesn't mean they don't deserve respect for the hard work they put in and they are human beings just as we are. Treat other people as you would expect to be treated.

I myself always preferred to tip. Normally the Cabin Steward and the senior and junior waiters at our table. But I do understand why P&O and many other cruise lines have gone the route of including tips because as has been said many passengers would go AWOL on the last night so as to not have to tip. Also bar and other staff would be left out.

There are thousands of posts on many threads on here about tipping, many arguments between Brits and Americans and their opinions on tipping.

I have heard mention of people not turning up on the last night yet in almost 50 cruises have never experienced it on our tables, we opted for tables 8/10. Lots of cruise lines started adding tips to the onboard account, but most allowed people to remove them which again was a bone of contention on here. There were threads stating that said cruise lines informed their staff of people who removed tips, which also caused many arguments and bad feeling. Whether that was true is doubtful IMHO, but some folk claimed they knew it to be true.

• Like 1

We're under no obligation whatever to tip our dustmen, or our postman.  But we do - and sometimes give them occasional bits and pieces across the year such as ice creams and chocolates, with a thank you for a good reliable service.  Not a great cost involved, but a nice way to say thank you, particularly during the pandemic.

Same applies to cruises - no obligation whatever to tip, but plenty still do, and what if they do?  Free choice.

• Like 3

I have still tipped since they have said tips are included the amount they used to say we should plus inflation I split it between the people I think deserve it most as we have gone freedom dining for a while we notice there is a big difference in service so if someone is not nice to us we will not give but if someone is exceptional they will get double 

5 hours ago, kalos said:

I feel really bad now. We flew to Spain and back recently and forgot to tip the pilot and the cabin crew. Gutted.😥

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, kalos said:

We tip the Eavesway coach drivers, they're excellent. 

Avril

and I've just answered a non-question as well. What a numpty🥴

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 1

Just off the Sky Princess and we removed the Crew Incentive due to a particularly bad first day/night experience. We did however tip our cabin attendant along with out head and junior waiters. In conversation with my cabin attendant he revealed he gets $2 a day per person per cabin. 

44 minutes ago, devonuk said:

Just off the Sky Princess and we removed the Crew Incentive due to a particularly bad first day/night experience. We did however tip our cabin attendant along with out head and junior waiters. In conversation with my cabin attendant he revealed he gets $2 a day per person per cabin. 

Sorry you had a bad first day on sky princess she is a lovely ship I was on her a few weeks back and everything was perfect staff and all so helpful, Wowzz and a few others are on her today so hopefully they all have a perfect time. 
can you share your bad experience? so it might help any others on board now.