If I cancel.....

Sir Cumference

Hello. I'm booked on a Christmas cruise and have, therefore, paid my balance in full. Now, in light of increasing covid cases (both nationally and on the ships) I am seriously considering cancelling the cruise. My TA has advised that as the balance has been paid, I no longer have the option to transfer to a later cruise.

Could you helpful people let me know what my remaining options are? Am I limited to now either going on the cruise or losing all my money?

Many thanks for your anticipated help 🙂

8 minutes ago, Cristaltips said:

As I understand it, you will lose a proportion of your money as per their cancellation policy depending on the number of days before the cruise you cancel. Probably 50/70 % 

This is the reason I dont purchase the cruise way before hand. I would rather overpay a little then lose half of the price I paid for the cruise. Its much safer to do these days

42 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

Hello. I'm booked on a Christmas cruise and have, therefore, paid my balance in full. Now, in light of increasing covid cases (both nationally and on the ships) I am seriously considering cancelling the cruise. My TA has advised that as the balance has been paid, I no longer have the option to transfer to a later cruise.

Could you helpful people let me know what my remaining options are? Am I limited to now either going on the cruise or losing all my money?

Many thanks for your anticipated help 🙂

These are the current terms, Your best bet is to ring P&O to get the best advice

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

Deposit

90 to 57 days

50%

56 to 42 days

60%

41 to 16 days

75%

15 to 6 days

90%

Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark.

For fly-cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure.

100%

What would happen now if you contacted them the week before cruising and told them one of your close family has just tested positive for covid and you've just taken a lateral flow test and got a positive result yourself and need advice what to do?

I'm pretty sure they would give you FCC?

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

What would happen now if you contacted them the week before cruising and told them one of your close family has just tested positive for covid and you've just taken a lateral flow test and got a positive result yourself and need advice what to do?

They would ask you to prove it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

They would ask you to prove it!

You think so?

Our first staycation booked for July our son tested positive (who lives with us)   - we both tested negative but still had to self isolate 

It was approx 4 days before the cruise

We rang P and O and told them the situation and they offered us to transfer to a future staycation no extra cost etc 

Very smooth and easy

Didn't ask us to prove anything

Took about 15 mins on phone

I'm sure if we had asked for a refund we would need proof. 

Im not sure you would need proof of a failed lateral flow test when you are just looking to suspend a cruise to a later date tbh

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Fraud is the first thing that springs to mind. Is it worth it ?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Pinocchio told lies and look what happened to him.🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Pinocchio told lies and look what happened to him.🤔

The cruise lines not exactly being upfront and honest about insurance ?

Making people pay balances further out ?

Works both ways 

A lateral flow test might tell you you are positive but then you try a PCR test later and you are now negative and able to cruise after all if they do want proof

Etc

But when my son DID test positive they never asked for any proof from me before offering to swap to a later cruuse

Anyway my initial post was to just ask a hypothetical question

But from my previous experience if you DID "hypothetically" fail a lateral flow test shortly before your cruise you would be offered to postpone to a future cruise 

And I don't think they would be asking you to prove that failure tbh

Things may change of course 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

41 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The cruise lines not exactly being upfront and honest about insurance ?

Making people pay balances further out ?

Works both ways 

A lateral flow test might tell you you are positive but then you try a PCR test later and you are now negative and able to cruise after all if they do want proof

Etc

But when my son DID test positive they never asked for any proof from me before offering to swap to a later cruuse

Anyway my initial post was to just ask a hypothetical question

But from my previous experience if you DID "hypothetically" fail a lateral flow test shortly before your cruise you would be offered to postpone to a future cruise 

And I don't think they would be asking you to prove that failure tbh

Things may change of course 

One doesn't " hypothetically" fail, they do or they don't. I just wouldn't want anyone to follow your " hypothetical" scenario and end up in deep water.

1 hour ago, Mysticalmother said:

Rumour has it drinking orange juice beforehand will provide a positive Lateral flow test....just saying!😄

LFTs only involve nasal swabs, so I think you would need to "snort' the juice.

• Haha 1

Rumour, rumour rumour or I have heard are doing so much damage to this country with the take up of vaccines and the future of living with Covid. Having said all that I have heard that the moon is made of cheese and that earth is flat.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

that's interesting the NHs ones i have been using use throat swabs as well as nasal

You must have had some old stock then as the last three lots we have had delivered are just nasal swabs.  Much easier 🙂

The two packs I got last week from the NHS via a code for the chemist are still tonsil swabs, as per the instructions on page 10. The 2 packs I got from the local 'unhealthy living centre' a few days ago are the flowflex type with the buffer solution already in the vials. That is nasal only and 15 minute testing time. The problem is I have problems getting the plastic foil of the vials with my increasingly ancient hands. The chemist also said they are getting a lot of complaints about those foil lids.

44 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The two packs I got last week from the NHS via a code for the chemist are still tonsil swabs, as per the instructions on page 10. The 2 packs I got from the local 'unhealthy living centre' a few days ago are the flowflex type with the buffer solution already in the vials. That is nasal only and 15 minute testing time. The problem is I have problems getting the plastic foil of the vials with my increasingly ancient hands. The chemist also said they are getting a lot of complaints about those foil lids.

My missus also cannot get the foil seals off, easiest way is to just pierce them with a sharpish implement.