Thoughts on the Escape?

CruizinKittie40

Got off the Epic earlier today and was not impressed.  This was our first cruise with NCL and would never book Epic again.  We have a sailing with the Escape in December and am thinking about giving NCL one more shot.  Can you tell me what you love/hate about the Escape and compare it to Epic if possible?

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

Got off the Epic earlier today and was not impressed.  This was our first cruise with NCL and would never book Epic again.  We have a sailing with the Escape in December and am thinking about giving NCL one more shot.  Can you tell me what you love/hate about the Escape and compare it to Epic if possible?

Thanks!

never been on the epic.

epic was a incomplete ship that ncl bought from a failing European cruise line. i guess the open cabin  bathrooms are a European thing?

what was wrong with the epic?

i liked the Escape but didnt care for one of the production shows. I fell asleep.

Escape is my favorite NCL ship (so far). Sailed her three times. Great food, staff and entertainment. Be sure to get a thermal spa pass. Best part of the whole cruise. Since I'm not a pool person and prefer quiet and relaxation, I spent a lot of time on the Waterfront on Deck 8. You'll love it!

The Escape is my favorite ship, love the atmosphere. I enjoy Spice H2O and also the District Brewhouse, great place to hang out. They have something like over 90 beers on tap and more in bottles/cans so if you like beer, great place to try some new ones (and they serve other alcohol also). They usually have a piano player/singer that both times I’ve been on the ship, different performers, have been awesome. 

Edited by worktocruise610
  • Like 1

My favorite ship as well, also the first ship with Food Republic, a fun place to eat.  Last ship with Moderno, my favorite specialty.  Great show (Choir of Man), great open decks to walk day and night.  Most importantly, best NCL crew I every got to sail with.

• Like 1

I haven't been on the Epic... have avoided it because of it's wonky bathroom layout and it's lack of outdoor views/spaces. I love the Escape, though! It has the Waterfront, which is the best feature of the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships. I like that it has District Brew House as well. Really missed that on the Breakaway sailing I just came back from. The most underrated feature of the Escape, in my opinion, is Pincho Tappas.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I haven't been on the Epic... have avoided it because of it's wonky bathroom layout and it's lack of outdoor views/spaces. I love the Escape, though! It has the Waterfront, which is the best feature of the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships. I like that it has District Brew House as well. Really missed that on the Breakaway sailing I just came back from. The most underrated feature of the Escape, in my opinion, is Pincho Tappas.

Loved Pincho's when there was no limit on how much you can eat at Pincos with the dining package.

i ate 15 plates! ($7 x 15 = $105)

and did it again later that cruise.

if i had to do over again, i would tell the chef NOT to use any oil to drizzle on top. 

the oil alone was 100 calories per plate. :classic_ohmy:

now it's limited to 4 plates 😞

I’ve been on both ships multiple times. Although the Epic is not as bad as some people make out, the Escape is much better. The Escape is newer than the Epic and has more dining, drinking and waterfront amenities. I concur that if you enjoy a good pint of beer the District Brew Houde on the Escape is a great hangout. The Escape would be the perfect ship if it had an observation lounge like the Bliss, Joy and Encore. I would give it a try.  It might change you mind about NCL.

I've sailed on Escape 26 times and it's also my favorite ship. A great cruise experience for me has a lot to do with crew and since 2015 Escape has had nearly the same amazing crew (and many are in the process of returning to her). I've gotten to know so many of them and it's always like going "home".

I also love dining outside on the Waterfront watching the sun set. Pincho's and Food Republic are other favorite choices for dining.

• Like 1

I have been on both ships and preferred Escape. The balcony rooms don't have the curved couch like Epic or the odd bathroom set up. Also with the waterfront on Escape there are more places to enjoy a view of the ocean.

Spice H20 on Escape has the grotto water feature instead a small pool like Epic has.  Escape just felt a little less crowded, but that was before they reduced the capacity. 

If you end up not liking Escape, you may want to try a smaller ship. But, Escape is one of my favorite ships.

Oh my, yes please do give NCL another shot on The Escape.  The Escape is my favorite ship! I adore the Spice H2O and the District Brewhouse. When the weather is fair (99% of the time), and they have their parties out on Spice, it's magic! I am not a party person, but those were just so much fun! I loved the Choir of Man show and the Cirque show, too. Oh, and don't miss Howl at the Moon!  I loved the ropes course and the slides.  The MDR food was excellent, almost better than the specialty food, which was also excellent.  I have not done the thermal spa, but I would absolutely do that next time!  

• Like 1

The Escape is my favorite!!

Epic least favorite! 

I've been on many ships, most recently the Encore. 

What I love about the Escape won't be the same as others. Like I won the district leader board for the week, which they don't do anymore. I loved the layout, restaurants, the staff, and my cruise itself. Plus I like the bigger ships.

It has everything other ships have. Some love bigger ships, some don't. It's all about how you enjoy your cruise.

On 10/24/2021 at 6:27 PM, oteixeira said:

My favorite ship as well, also the first ship with Food Republic, a fun place to eat.  Last ship with Moderno, my favorite specialty.  Great show (Choir of Man), great open decks to walk day and night.  Most importantly, best NCL crew I every got to sail with.

I'm definitely looking forward to Food Republic!!!!

• Like 1

We've got an upcoming trip on Escape (our 2nd on this ship).  What we loved the first time...Howl at the Moon and of course Cagney's/Moderno/Teppanyaki and the 21 and older area at the stern of the ship (great place to jump in the hot tub without the munchins trying to fit 20 into one). What we didn't exactly love was District Brew House...we love going to craft breweries and even travel to get to some brewfests and what they consider to be "craft beer" for the most part is main stream beer you can buy anywhere in the USA in any state....what we didn't like at all was O'Sheehan's (it's almost always slammed and we got cold food (which should have been hot) there not once but twice on the last trip).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/24/2021 at 5:53 PM, CruizinKittie40 said:

Thanks!

Love the Escape..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MidtheNight said:

We've got an upcoming trip on Escape (our 2nd on this ship).  What we loved the first time...Howl at the Moon and of course Cagney's/Moderno/Teppanyaki and the 21 and older area at the stern of the ship (great place to jump in the hot tub without the munchins trying to fit 20 into one). What we didn't exactly love was District Brew House...we love going to craft breweries and even travel to get to some brewfests and what they consider to be "craft beer" for the most part is main stream beer you can buy anywhere in the USA in any state....what we didn't like at all was O'Sheehan's (it's almost always slammed and we got cold food (which should have been hot) there not once but twice on the last trip).  

I agree with you about the beer in District Brew house... my husband likes it, because they usually have some Belgians available, but I am a total beer snob who prefers dark beers. They have nothing for me there. But, I do love the vibe of the place and the view. So we hang out there a lot and I just order cocktails, as they do have a full bar there as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

I agree with you about the beer in District Brew house... my husband likes it, because they usually have some Belgians available, but I am a total beer snob who prefers dark beers. They have nothing for me there. But, I do love the vibe of the place and the view. So we hang out there a lot and I just order cocktails, as they do have a full bar there as well.

They normally have left hand milk stout on Nitro (if its not sold out), that is what I start every cruise with if I am on the Escape.  I agree that it (and most others) are more macro-brew then micro, but it's still WAY better then the selection on most ships.  For that reason, I love it.

Echoing what others have said, I loved the Escape.  It's the perfect blend for me, the 2 level ropes course and other complimentary activities, spice H2O, the hot tubs on the upper deck, food and drink on the Waterfront, and yes, the District. (Came in second place so I didn't win the growler. 😞 )

Definitely don't base your NCL opinion on the Epic alone.  I have friends who have been on it and loved it, but I don't care for the layout.

Edited by kpjb
  • Like 1