Cancelling due to protocols

Sadly we are cancelling our Explorer Nov 7 14 and 21 cruises. the first due to US border closure until Nov8 the other 2 due to 4 Islands ship tours only. We have been to all these Islands many times and done the trips years ago, all we wanted to do was the beach and some shopping.  With the itin now only half a day in St Martin and 1 day in St Thomas it's not really worth the effort to make 3 flights each way from Europe.  Probably the cheapest cruises I have booked too,  but hey ho.  Hopefully the 3 Christmas New Year  Grandeur from  Barbados cruises will have less restrictions come December.

Is there a certain way I have to word the email re wanting to reluctantly cancel due to restrictive protocols.

Many thanks

Sean

Sorry you are not sailing with us. I've had two of my excursions cancelled. We just switched to other excursions. I wouldn't mind even staying on board. After not being able to cruise for a year and half I will take anything I can get. Best to you. I hope you will cruise soon.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sean of the seas said:

Sadly we are cancelling our Explorer Nov 7 14 and 21 cruises. the first due to US border closure until Nov8 the other 2 due to 4 Islands ship tours only. We have been to all these Islands many times and done the trips years ago, all we wanted to do was the beach and some shopping.  With the itin now only half a day in St Martin and 1 day in St Thomas it's not really worth the effort to make 3 flights each way from Europe.  Probably the cheapest cruises I have booked too,  but hey ho.  Hopefully the 3 Christmas New Year  Grandeur from  Barbados cruises will have less restrictions come December.

Is there a certain way I have to word the email re wanting to reluctantly cancel due to restrictive protocols.

Many thanks

Sean

Assuming you are eligible for the FCC under the Cruise with Confidence terms, just cancel.  If you didn't use a travel agent then there is an online form you can use (https://cancellation.royalcaribbean.com/?brand=R), or you can call.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Sorry you are not sailing with us. I've had two of my excursions cancelled. We just switched to other excursions. I wouldn't mind even staying on board. After not being able to cruise for a year and half I will take anything I can get. Best to you. I hope you will cruise soon.

Same here. We already canceled one this month because of a family medical emergency. That was supposed to a be a warmup for a side to side (Celebrity/Royal) in November. Haven't even looked at excursions yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

Don’t blame anyone for canceling, we have a rccl cruise next month, more restrictions now than my edge cruise in July. Will not book a new cruise until this is over. 

I feel the same about our January Oasis cruise.  Unless things take a turn for the worse, we will be on the ship, but I have no intentions of booking anything else until cruising is back to what it used to be -realizing it may be a very long time before that happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sean of the seas said:

Many thanks

Sean

I think if it is your choice to cancel, you would need to take the FCC.  No harm at all in calling though, explain your situation and see what they say.  Good luck.

5 hours ago, sean of the seas said:

It sounds like all you have to do is call them and say that you don't accept their COVID protocols, and they will issue a full refund.  

6 hours ago, sean of the seas said:

Invest the time in a call- would not trust it in an email regardless of how well written. 

6 hours ago, sean of the seas said:

Many thanks

Sean

You should have the option to cancel and get refund refund back to the method of payment you used.     

I never cancel by email or online form.    I always call and have received all of my refunds in 3 weeks or less.

Good luck and hopefully your sailings on Grandeur out of Barbados will work out for you.   

7 hours ago, sean of the seas said:

The cruise line really doesn't care why you are cancelling. Thousands of people are sailing every week and having a great time (we have sailed 3 times since restart).

You can initiate your cancellation on the link below. You will generate a large amount of Future Cruise Credit that must be used by April or you lose it. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

Has anyone received good results canceling on line. I am waiting to see what protocols or deposit date changes that may come up at the end of the month. We have a B2B2B in February and to many hoops to jump through as well as poor insurance coverage for being stuck in a possible quarantine and not being able to return to Canada after the cruises.  So disappointed that we still aren’t there yet. My FCC’s will probably go on our summer cruises from Amsterdam. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

You can initiate your cancellation on the link below. You will generate a large amount of Future Cruise Credit that must be used by April or you lose it. 

24 minutes ago, rvlandandsea said:

Has anyone received good results canceling on line. 

Just call and say that you don't accept the COVID protocols and ask for a full refund.  Somebody on my cruise just did this today.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2809771-refund-if-you-disagree-with-covid-protocols/

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Invest the time in a call- would not trust it in an email regardless of how well written. 

Unfortunately I booked with an OTA who does not answer the phone and requires a message to be left for a call back but they will not call the UK. 

I have to do everything via email and I do not trust them.

It's the OTA that has received a lot of bad comments recently.

We are still looking foward to our January Oasis cruise.  While things have changed, we miss the sea.  I would be happy to stay on board as the ship is a huge part of our vacation.  Fortunately, the Oasis is large enough to offer many different venues and activities.  We have been to multiple  caribbean ports over the years-so if we have to miss not a problem.  

We haven't cruised in two years!  While we are young healthy seniors now,  Life is getting shorter every day!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sean of the seas said:

Unfortunately I booked with an OTA who does not answer the phone

Since this is a refund and your TA doesn't answer the phone, that may be good enough excuse to be able to take of this directly with RCI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Since this is a refund and your TA doesn't answer the phone, that may be good enough excuse to be able to take of this directly with RCI.

Thanks again Biker 19.

I will give RCI in the US a call for the 7 and 14 Nov cruises

When I looked through my bookings this morning I found that I had booked the Nov 21 Explorer cruise with RCI UK.  I phoned them and did finally manage to get a cash refund.  Long story cut short the agent did not believe me that the protocols included ship excursions only for 4 of the Islands on the Itin.  She refunded on the basis of a one time goodwill gesture.

I have still not seen anywhere that RCI actually state the refund if protocols are not acceptable. If anyone could post a link here I am sure it would save folk a lot of agro.

Edited by sean of the seas

19 minutes ago, sean of the seas said:

Thanks again Biker 19.

I will give RCI in the US a call for the 7 and 14 Nov cruises

When I looked through my bookings this morning I found that I had booked the Nov 21 Explorer cruise with RCI UK.  I phoned them and did finally manage to get a cash refund.  Long story cut short the agent did not believe me that the protocols included ship excursions only for 4 of the Islands on the Itin.  She refunded on the basis of a one time goodwill gesture.

I have still not seen anywhere that RCI actually state the refund if protocols are not acceptable. If anyone could post a link here I am sure it would save folk a lot of agro.

They all say as a goodwill gesture. I say the goodwill giving was on my end, letting them hold my money while they made zero attempts at communication until an email 19 days before my trip. Go get that refund.  Tell them Picklepants sent you. 😉

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sean of the seas said:

Unfortunately I booked with an OTA who does not answer the phone and requires a message to be left for a call back but they will not call the UK. 

I have to do everything via email and I do not trust them.

It's the OTA that has received a lot of bad comments recently.

Help me understand how this travel Agent is working for you and why you would use them.

4 minutes ago, Bees29 said:

At what point can you call to cancel due to the protocols and get a refund, not FCC? We have a cruise at the end of January 

Assuming that it (refund) is still allowed then, when the protocols for January are announced (figure late Dec). January might be a bit weird with the CSO expiring mid-month. 

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, kjenaz said:

Help me understand how this travel Agent is working for you and why you would use them.

Hi  I have used this OTA for a number of cruise bookings , all passing with no issues as in the past I could speak to an agent when calling, unfortunately covid has left them with many problems which other OTAs seem to have addressed.  Today I tried to contact them and the message said  they can not accept calls and to email them and will endeavour to respond to my email in 5 to 7 business days, with the November protocols being released yesterday this left me in a position where I could not be certain that the Nov 7  cruise would be dealt with in time or I would appear to be a no show.

Anyway thanks to advice from Biker19  I did contact RCCL and they agreed to take charge of the Nov 7 and 14 bookings from the OTA and cancelled them due to protocols and are issuing a full refund within 30 days.

I also have been given advice on how to remove the OTA from 3 cruises I have booked with them for April 2022 which I will follow up on in the coming week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sean of the seas said:

Anyway thanks to advice from Biker19  I did contact RCCL and they agreed to take charge of the Nov 7 and 14 bookings from the OTA and cancelled them due to protocols and are issuing a full refund within 30 days.

I also have been given advice on how to remove the OTA from 3 cruises I have booked with them for April 2022 which I will follow up on in the coming week.

Sounds like an unresponsive TA with whom RCI has had issues  - most reports suggest that it takes some serious issues to take away bookings from a TA.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, George C said:

Don’t blame anyone for canceling, we have a rccl cruise next month, more restrictions now than my edge cruise in July. Will not book a new cruise until this is over. 

What restrictions does rccl have now that edge didn’t?