Can Carnival "Hold Luggage" after you debark & is there a fee?

IMKTDQT810

I asked this within a thread I started on the East Coast Ports but thought maybe more folks might know this answer. Just trying to see if we take a late flight home (might be as late as 7pm and getting to the airport by 5pm) does the cruise terminal "hold" luggage? We will be taking an Uber to the airport when the time comes but since I'm considering booking such a late flight I don't know what to do with our luggage. The port would be Half Moon Cruise & Celebration Center in Norfolk. TIA

When you debark, your luggage is in the cruise ship terminal,  not on the ship.  Some cities have luggage services (we did this in NYC when we debarked and they brought it to us at the airport), but I don't think you could leave it at the terminal.

• Like 1

No, it would be considered "unclaimed luggage" and processed that way.  You may want to consider booking a cruise shore excursion at the home port.  Often cruiselines will offer a city of that port, and the luggage is stored on the bus you travel on.  You said you're landing in Norfolk?

• Like 1

Thank you all SO MUCH for the quick response! I think it will just be worth to head to the airport and check it in early. I was given some wonderful information about the Botanical Gardens near the airport. So I guess it will be easier to Uber to the airport, check the luggage in, then request another Uber to go to the gardens and vice versa back to catch our flight. I was originally thinking of staying near the port once we get off the ship and doing things there, but this might sound like a better plan. 

@CeleBrat yes we are leaving out of Norfolk but never got any comment back on if Carnival offers a post cruise shore excursion or not. They only start sailing out of that port the month before we sail (June 2022) and I need to start getting airfare set soon since they prices have been going up daily! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Thank you all SO MUCH for the quick response! I think it will just be worth to head to the airport and check it in early. I was given some wonderful information about the Botanical Gardens near the airport. So I guess it will be easier to Uber to the airport, check the luggage in, then request another Uber to go to the gardens and vice versa back to catch our flight. I was originally thinking of staying near the port once we get off the ship and doing things there, but this might sound like a better plan. 

@CeleBrat yes we are leaving out of Norfolk but never got any comment back on if Carnival offers a post cruise shore excursion or not. They only start sailing out of that port the month before we sail (June 2022) and I need to start getting airfare set soon since they prices have been going up daily! 

Please check with the airline and ask how early you can check your bags.  In this post-9/11 world, I don't believe that they will accept bags outside of a certain window of time.

• Like 4

As with many things cruise-related, the answer is going to be, "It depends."

In the Tampa cruise terminal, we were allowed to leave our luggage in a secured room outside of customs while we went and visited the aquarium.  That wasn't a Carnival service, but it was right after a Carnival cruise.  

Worst case, it never hurts to ask, just have a backup plan.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Your best bet is to just Uber to the airport and check your bags in early. 

Airlines (at least the few I fly) will not let you check in more than 3 hours before your flight - maybe 2 for US flights. 

• Like 1

Not going to work because you are coming in from an international destination. What you might do is go to a big Hotel and go to the Bell Desk and give them a tip and maybe purchase a coffee. Then go about your day! From the hotel take a car service to the airport which the Bell Desk or Concierge can arrange when you arrive. Some Cruiselines have an airport valet service but this only works if you are on the same bus as your luggage.

If you can go to the hotel the cruiseline uses for their pre and post stay they may be more inclined to hold your luggage. Yes in most cases you need to be a guest but I have never been asked if I was a guest especially after tipping them on acceptance and some more when I retrieve the bag.

There are also city tour airport transfers or you can hire a Cab or Car Service like Carmel to take you around and then go to JFK 3-4 hours before your flight.

Edited by travelplus
  • Like 1

Check the excursions that take place in the port city after the cruise. Many of them will include taking your luggage to the airport and holding it for you there (and this is where the excursion drops you off). That is what we in San Juan.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Check the excursions that take place in the port city after the cruise. Many of them will include taking your luggage to the airport and holding it for you there (and this is where the excursion drops you off). That is what we in San Juan.

In San Juan there is, or at least was, a hotel almost directly across the street from the pier that will hold your luggage for a fee.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the great feedback, comments and suggestions. I'm still up in the air about what flights to book and might just sit on it longer and hope (by some miracle) they come down a bit prior to booking. At that point in time I will see what the options are for taking care of our luggage. Thanks again!

On 10/28/2021 at 2:48 PM, IMKTDQT810 said:

Thank you all for the great feedback, comments and suggestions. I'm still up in the air about what flights to book and might just sit on it longer and hope (by some miracle) they come down a bit prior to booking. At that point in time I will see what the options are for taking care of our luggage. Thanks again!

Is there an All Inclusive resort with a Day Pass? 

• Like 1

I have experienced with United that if you check bags too early, they are put on an earlier plane to your destination and arrive there hours before you. Then you need to visit the baggage representatives to pick them up, rather than from the carousal. Depending on the time of day, this can be major aggravation. Been there. Done that. Twice.

The good news is that if you use their app or you provided a cell phone number, you'll get an SMS alert

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 10:51 PM, RGEDad said:

Airlines (at least the few I fly) will not let you check in more than 3 hours before your flight - maybe 2 for US flights. 

this is my experience as well. Usually somewhere in the 3-4 hour range. Think we had an early afternoon flight out FLL or MIA and we did the walk off the ship thing. Made it to the airport hours early thinking we could check in and get something to eat. Nope, had to sit in the departure terminal until 3 hours before the flight.

• Like 1