What Am I Missing….This Stinks

N 2 Sun

4 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

See https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=21 

The per-person pricing is based upon two people occupying a cabin. This makes it harder for people like me who like to travel alone. I would like to have a balcony cabin all to myself, but with the premiums that the cruise lines charge, I ended up taking a inside cave. There are very few ships, and only one in Celebrity's line, that actually have that rare solo cabin.

I can understand a 25% premium, or maybe a 50% premium, for occupying a cabin for two for myself. 100% gives me pause.... and they don't offset it with additional OBC or points. 

This is why I tried Azamara (and fell in love with them) because they offer 25% and 50% single supplements on some of their cruises. Even with their solo friendly attitude they often won't offer the cheaper guarantee rates to single occupants though. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

I can understand a 25% premium, or maybe a 50% premium, for occupying a cabin for two for myself. 100% gives me pause.... and they don't offset it with additional OBC or points. 

Celebrity does give double Captain's Club points to solo cruisers, unlike some other lines I've cruised as a solo cruiser. It is listed here in the Single Travelers section

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/enroll#Terms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, vms said:

Celebrity does give double Captain's Club points to solo cruisers, unlike some other lines I've cruised as a solo cruiser. It is listed here in the Single Travelers section

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/enroll#Terms

As a solo cruiser this is new information, and I'm happy about it. I guess I don't pay enough attention since I'm halfway to elite and don't see it happening any time soon (I cruise about once a year). I just wish that when they charge me double that I would get double the OBC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity used to be much more up front in their marketing about giving double points for solo cruisers.  I haven't sailed them in a while and I really had to hunt around to find out if they were still doing it, so happy to share the results of my research!

Sometimes you will have to call to get your double points added to your account, so watch your Captains Club points closely after your sailing is over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, go.without.you said:

As a solo cruiser this is new information, and I'm happy about it. I guess I don't pay enough attention since I'm halfway to elite and don't see it happening any time soon (I cruise about once a year). I just wish that when they charge me double that I would get double the OBC.

That was hilarious for us to read, "go.without.you."  We have been on close to forty cruises in the last fifteen years, but we have never had even $0.01 of on-board credit in any of those cruises.

Edited by jg51

16 minutes ago, jg51 said:

That was hilarious for us to read, "go.without.you."  We have been on close to forty cruises in the last fifteen years, but we have never had even $0.01 of on-board credit in any of those cruises.

Maybe you should change how you book your cruises . The online agency I use always gives me OBC plus a prepaid Visa card after the sailing. Even if I book when I'm onboard, I have the agency take it over to get the perks.

A little off topic, but I have learned of a a site "cruise plum dot com" (see "Solo") on top right of page) that shows single supplements for solo cruisers.  They show a lot of cruises with no to very minimal solo supplements.  I have only recently learned of this site, so I have not used it yet.  If it is legit, it is an amazing resource for solos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, N 2 Sun said:

As I said inmy post, I am trying to understand what is happening with the pricing and looking for help from more experienced CC members. I have called the 800 number to verify pricing that I was given on the web site…..the agent said she would research the pricing and email me back with a quote for the two cabins and two sailings. That was on October 21. I’ve yet to receive a quote by email or phone call. . 

The fine print on the web site pricing pages state that the rates offered are “per person based upon double occupancy”. This would indicate that the price for a solo person is double the stated rate. However, when a single price is quoted on the site it is much higher. It doesn’t make sense for the  same cabin category to be priced differently for different types of people….would this be acceptable for any other demographic of people?

My use of the word fraud is that, to me, it appears the cruise line is using misleading wording in its “fine print” and is selling the same cabin category at two different prices….one price for double occupancy and a 43% higher price for the same cabin for single occupancy.

B6977B3C-4E6E-4602-B694-94CC78F6B559.png

01402823-CB40-48AD-90D0-7791F5B00F62.png

C26556CC-2A0A-436A-9DC1-133DA6590F30.png

FB9561E0-055A-4B4A-9F3E-A74C97F333E1.png

I was curious, so I looked into the cruise that you are referencing.  If you book the OV with the AI (standard price), it will cost you $3422 for two ($1711 each).  If you also book another solo OV with the AI (standard price), it will cost the solo the same $3422.  As I understand your comments, you understand and this is exactly what you expected. So as long as you both book with the standard AI rate, you have no issue.

The  problem is that Celebrity is offering you a special GTY rate which includes no AI (Cruise Only) and no cabin choice for a lower price of $2399 ($1199).  Easy to understand.  The problem is that a solo is not offered nor can they book the GTY cruise only rate.  They have to book the Standard (AI) with a cabin choice rate.  
You are not really comparing apples to apples between the Solo rate of $3422 with perks(AI) and you Cruise only (no cabin choice or perks ) rate of $2399.

I am not justifying the Celebrity choice of not offering the same rate to solo cruisers, I am just explaining it.

I assume that you and your husband are willing to give up the AI (Classic Drink Package, Internet, and paid gratuities) for the $56 saving per person?  (And no cabin choice).  Personally I think those items are worth $56 a day.

If one of you does not drink and does not want the AI and the other wants it, you could move the passengers around between the two cabins.  Book two people in the GTY cruise only cabin.  Of course your cabins will not necessarily be in the same area.  I am not sure that it is a good idea to book two cabins with a GTY unless you do not mind being in totally different locations possibly even different categories and decks.

Good  luck in your decision.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I assume that you and your husband are willing to give up the AI (Classic Drink Package, Internet, and paid gratuities) for the $56 saving per person?  (And no cabin choice).  Personally I think those items are worth $56 a day.

Bottled water and specialty coffee are easily worth the $40 or so a day to me...I am beginning to think that many of the people against the AI are the same folks that go to Guest Services and have the room grats removed on the last night. 

I know, I know, wrong thread for this comment...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Bottled water and specialty coffee are easily worth the $40 or so a day to me...I am beginning to think that many of the people against the AI are the same folks that go to Guest Services and have the room grats removed on the last night. 

I know, I know, wrong thread for this comment...

Wrong, wrong,bwrong.

I am happy and an advocate of a base price that includes tips.

I don't want AI because as Elite+ all our lattes, water were free.

We don't drink alcohol and 240 free Internet minutes are more than enough. AI adds $100 per person per day for no benefit and double that for solo passengers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, N 2 Sun said:

The fine print on the web site pricing pages state that the rates offered are “per person based upon double occupancy”. This would indicate that the price for a solo person is double the stated rate. However, when a single price is quoted on the site it is much higher. It doesn’t make sense for the  same cabin category to be priced differently for different types of people….would this be acceptable for any other demographic of people?

You are incorrectly understanding what "per person based on double occupancy" means.  It does NOT mean that a solo person will pay double. It means that the price per person is $ when there are two people traveling together in the same cabin.  It says nothing, and implies nothing, about only one person occupying the cabin. A solo traveler costs more than 50% of two travelers.

1 hour ago, Pushkin said:

A little off topic, but I have learned of a a site "cruise plum dot com" (see "Solo") on top right of page) that shows single supplements for solo cruisers.  They show a lot of cruises with no to very minimal solo supplements.  I have only recently learned of this site, so I have not used it yet.  If it is legit, it is an amazing resource for solos.

The above site is how I found my cruise on the Edge in August and also my upcoming cruise late January. They were both good prices. I never looked at Celebrity because of their reputation for charging what I feel are excessive supplements for solo travelers. Seems they are learning along with some other lines that giving solos a break, especially during traditional slower time frames or close to sailing is better than sailing with an empty cabin. My roll call for upcoming trip is full of solo travelers and we are making plans for meetups, dinners, excursions etc. (I would never expect to find these fares during peak travel seasons)

NCL has usually been my cruise line of choice but when Celebrity can give me a fare price I will go with them. 

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I was curious, so I looked into the cruise that you are referencing.  If you book the OV with the AI (standard price), it will cost you $3422 for two ($1711 each).  If you also book another solo OV with the AI (standard price), it will cost the solo the same $3422.  As I understand your comments, you understand and this is exactly what you expected. So as long as you both book with the standard AI rate, you have no issue.

The  problem is that Celebrity is offering you a special GTY rate which includes no AI (Cruise Only) and no cabin choice for a lower price of $2399 ($1199).  Easy to understand.  The problem is that a solo is not offered nor can they book the GTY cruise only rate.  They have to book the Standard (AI) with a cabin choice rate.  
You are not really comparing apples to apples between the Solo rate of $3422 with perks(AI) and you Cruise only (no cabin choice or perks ) rate of $2399.

I am not justifying the Celebrity choice of not offering the same rate to solo cruisers, I am just explaining it.

If one of you does not drink and does not want the AI and the other wants it, you could move the passengers around between the two cabins.  Book two people in the GTY cruise only cabin.  Of course your cabins will not necessarily be in the same area.  I am not sure that it is a good idea to book two cabins with a GTY unless you do not mind being in totally different locations possibly even different categories and decks.

One of the most sensible posts on the thread. I think you've figured it out. Maybe the OP will come back and reply to this scenario. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Wrong, wrong,bwrong.

I am happy and an advocate of a base price that includes tips.

I don't want AI because as Elite+ all our lattes, water were free.

We don't drink alcohol and 240 free Internet minutes are more than enough. AI adds $100 per person per day for no benefit and double that for solo passengers.

There are a lot of examples that show that is does not add $100 a day per person.  

How may Celebrity cruises did you book with the current Loyalty NRD and 20% discount, but no AI?  This seems to be exactly what you were wanting.  

The example being discussed on this thread is no where close to $100 a day per person, but you do not get a cabin choice.  

Water is always free and so is the view.  Bottled water only during the special Happy Hour times and days or has the Elite Plus benefits changed.

Do all your bookings now as at least temporarily Celebrity has changed to what you wanted.  No AI and a cabin choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ORV said:

One of the most sensible posts on the thread. I think you've figured it out. Maybe the OP will come back and reply to this scenario. 

Thanks you.  As you know it is sometimes very complicated and even long term Celebrity cruisers (who will remain unnamed) get confused.

My hope is that N 2 Sun now has a better understanding and she is feeling better about the situation.  I hope she lets us know what she decides.  

Edited by jagoffee

4 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

There are a lot of examples that show that is does not add $100 a day per person.  

How may Celebrity cruises did you book with the current Loyalty NRD and 20% discount, but no AI?  This seems to be exactly what you were wanting.  

The example being discussed on this thread is no where close to $100 a day per person, but you do not get a cabin choice.  

Water is always free and so is the view.  Bottled water only during the special Happy Hour times and days or has the Elite Plus benefits changed.

Do all your bookings now as at least temporarily Celebrity has changed to what you wanted.  No AI and a cabin choice.

They take the sum of the amount Celebrity debits then credits back on the Guest Invoice for each of the 3 inclusions, then emphatically posts multiple times a day that AI flatly increases all AI fares by $100 per person per day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me, Celebrity seems like a car dealership where they sell the same car at different prices to different people.  And some people come along and say "I don't want electric windows or automatic transmission because I never use them."  Well, the price is the same whether you use it or not.  It seems like Celebrity never gets it right.  If they include things like drinks, people complain.  If they take things away and just sell a fare, people complain.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They take the sum of the amount Celebrity debits then credits back on the Guest Invoice for each of the 3 inclusions, then emphatically posts multiple times a day that AI flatly increases all AI fares by $100 per person per day. 

Since I never would sail with at least the AI benefits, I would never see what you say on my invoice.  But it sounds to me that Celebrity is showing you the list price of the items that they have included and not how much the cruise price has increased. (I have never checked the number).  A better way to know how much is added to the price for the inclusion of the AI is to compare it to the price that you pay for the cruise without the AI. It not that much different that the previous 123 or BBB.  Many times you would get the perks without the overall cost of the cruise going up.

The cruise only prices would be a good comparison, but it does not include a cabin choice.  The Loyalty NRD discount would be another way.  (Without the 20% discount which is a separate line).

it appears to me that Celebrity is just letting you know what the retail value is for the items that you are receiving in your rate, which is not an uncommon marketing practice.  IMO it is not how much the total package price was increased to include the items.  Otherwise, what is the point?

3 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Since I never would sail with at least the AI benefits, I would never see what you say on my invoice.  But it sounds to me that Celebrity is showing you the list price of the items that they have included and not how much the cruise price has increased. (I have never checked the number).  A better way to know how much is added to the price for the inclusion of the AI is to compare it to the price that you pay for the cruise without the AI. It not that much different that the previous 123 or BBB.  Many times you would get the perks without the overall cost of the cruise going up.

The cruise only prices would be a good comparison, but it does not include a cabin choice.  The Loyalty NRD discount would be another way.  (Without the 20% discount which is a separate line).

it appears to me that Celebrity is just letting you know what the retail value is for the items that you are receiving in your rate, which is not an uncommon marketing practice.  IMO it is not how much the total package price was increased to include the items.  Otherwise, what is the point?

They can show whatever amount they want, but saying 'prices are increased by $XX pp/pd' compared to.....what? No perks? Prices a year ago? Pre-COVID prices? 3 years ago?

A 7 day cruise I just booked for $3,600 should be priced at $2,200 with no inclusions? There are some gaping holes in the logic but whatever people want to think.  

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

This is why I tried Azamara (and fell in love with them) because they offer 25% and 50% single supplements on some of their cruises. Even with their solo friendly attitude they often won't offer the cheaper guarantee rates to single occupants though. 

Phil 

I agree about AZ.  I recently booked an Azamara cruise within 60 days of sailing. I got, what I consider a premium cabin facing aft, for only a 50% solo supplement.

11 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

You are not doing anything deceptive.  It's possible your SIL will find a cruise mate.  I've  booked cruises with a friend who had to cancel and also booked cruises with the 2nd person as "TBA" and added a name later.  Life happens and things change.  Of course, you have to pay the deposit for two vs one.  

It wont work. They will not refund the fantom parties money if everything is paid. They can then impose the single surcharge on you. Dont do this . It happened on Princess to a friend of mine. If it worked, everyone would do it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Firstly the $100 figure is not calculated in the way that you suggest. When you make an AI booking no breakdown is given. However when you cancel an AI booking the Celebrity cancellation invoice gives a complete breakdown: Cruise, tips, drinks, internet and taxes - several passengers have posted examples. The figures have been submitted to Celebrity and they have not been disputed during 2 hour long telephone conversations.

Elite+ hasn't changed but now the Elite drinks are available at every bar, every night you can collect enough bottles of water for the next day. Lattes, teas, juices available all the time.

It 's difficult to check precisely but the loyalty programmes you refer to only appear to be available in the US, Canada and Mexico. I have looked at Transatlantics in 2022 and 2023 and only AI rates are available. If you can find me a balcony on Silhouette deck 7 from Miami in April 2023 or from Southampton back to the US in October/November 2023 without AI please post.

7 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Exactly. Of course the solo person could find someone willing  to allow her to use their name to book the guy as a double knowing that she would be paying the full amount the the other person would be a no show.

note that you do not cancel the other person you just let them be a no show. no refund of fare but it would allow them to book a fare that a solo cannot book.

If you cancel the second person there is a possibility that the booking will be refared.

Edited by nocl

18 minutes ago, nocl said:

Exactly. Of course the solo person could find someone willing  to allow her to use their name to book the guy as a double knowing that she would be paying the full amount the the other person would be a no show.

note that you do not cancel the other person you just let them be a no show. no refund of fare but it would allow them to book a fare that a solo cannot book.

If you cancel the second person there is a possibility that the booking will be refared.

What's the worst that can happen to a solo plus a no show?