What do we do if we cannot get the Medallion to work?

Red Hat Cruise Cat

If this has been answered, I apologize, but there are 3 Medallion App topics, with thousands of posts.

4 friends are traveling together (2 different cabins) and the 4 of us got together yesterday to try to download the Medallion App and complete the required entries.

We spent over 6 hours and were NOT successful.  Each of us got to a different point, but none of us were able to complete it.

We tried calling Princess and was on hold for over an hour before giving up.

Our cruise is in a few weeks, leaving on December 5, 2021

What do we do if we cannot get the Medallion to work and can't complete the required entries?

11 minutes ago, Red Hat Cruise Cat said:

If this has been answered, I apologize, but there are 3 Medallion App topics, with thousands of posts.

4 friends are traveling together (2 different cabins) and the 4 of us got together yesterday to try to download the Medallion App and complete the required entries.

We spent over 6 hours and were NOT successful.  Each of us got to a different point, but none of us were able to complete it.

We tried calling Princess and was on hold for over an hour before giving up.

Our cruise is in a few weeks, leaving on December 5, 2021

What do we do if we cannot get the Medallion to work and can't complete the required entries?

Fill out what you need to on the web site and bring your paperwork and medallion to the ship and the staff will be happy to help you when you are checking in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grego said:

Fill out what you need to on the web site and bring your paperwork and medallion to the ship and the staff will be happy to help you when you are checking in.

What @Gregosaid. 
Completing your info on the app is NOT necessary. There will be a small army of folks at the pier to help you. 
DON’T SWEAT IT. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Red Hat Cruise Cat said:

The only info we can complete on-line is the Bed Configuration, Robes, and Preferred Language.😒

We can't get to a screen to add passports, credit cards, etc.  

For now, those sections are only found on the app.  Princess did say that they were working to put something back on their web site so you could enter the data similar to how it was done in the past. Late October or November was mentioned  to have this done, but who knows when it will happen. 

27 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

For now, those sections are only found on the app.  Princess did say that they were working to put something back on their web site so you could enter the data similar to how it was done in the past. Late October or November was mentioned  to have this done, but who knows when it will happen. 

Late October is out. Maybe November...???

The Level 2 IT person I spoke with just yesterday told me to just show up at the terminal with the 1st group scheduled, between 11am and 12:30pm, and one of the Ocean Navigators (IT) techies on site will input the info on my devices. Of course, we would have to bring our passports, Covid vaccination certificate or QR code, and any other paperwork one would need.

Edited by PRNole47

18 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Late October is out. Maybe November...???

Well, the Level 2 techie I spoke with yesterday told me it will not be until "next year," but could not provide a specific time frame. I asked: "January?" and she said: "We're hoping."

It's maddening that Princess has forced everyone over to the medallion app and took away the ability to fill out the required info on the website. That said, I was able to get my info loaded onto the app in August with the help of a phone rep. Once I boarded the Majestic, though, I had to get one of the computer people to get the app working correctly on my phone for the onboard things. 

I think it is comforting that so few people out of the thousands of passengers are having problems with the app.  All we see are those that can't quite get it and those that do can't be bothered writing in to say how clever the app is.

We had no problems and look forward to future enhancements.

2 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

The Level 2 IT person I spoke with just yesterday told me to just show up at the terminal with the 1st group scheduled, between 11am and 12:30pm, and one of the Ocean Navigators (IT) techies on site will input the info on my devices. Of course, we would have to bring our passports, Covid vaccination certificate or QR code, and any other paperwork one would need.

And yet there are those who forever agonize needlessly over the app. SMH. 

On 10/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, Grego said:

I think it is comforting that so few people out of the thousands of passengers are having problems with the app.  All we see are those that can't quite get it and those that do can't be bothered writing in to say how clever the app is.

You also do not see the problems those not on Cruise Critic may have had.

Waiting on the phone for an hour or more to speak with a rep who can help with pre-cruise app problems is an indication more than a few people are having problems.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Waiting on the phone for an hour or more to speak with a rep who can help with pre-cruise app problems is an indication more than a few people are having problems.

The fact that they've reversed the decision to rely exclusively on the app, and are spending the $ to develop the web-based version is an even stronger indication that the app is a total disaster for them. 

Edited by barrykel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, barrykel said:

The fact that they've reversed the decision to rely exclusively on the app, and are spending the $ to develop the web-based version is an even stronger indication that the app is a total disaster for them. 

I'm glad to hear that. It didn't work at the end of 2019 and still doesn't work for me today.

What gets me is that they had all this time to work out the bugs & it still doesn't work properly.

27 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'm glad to hear that. It didn't work at the end of 2019 and still doesn't work for me today.

What gets me is that they had all this time to work out the bugs & it still doesn't work properly.

I've since learned from the Level 2 IT techies that actually come on the phone to help trouble shoot the apps' problems: (1) Android users tend to have fewer problems, by a long shot, compared with IOS users because the developers tend to favor writing Android upgrades more than IOS, (2) as a result, there have been many more and recent upgrades of the app solely for the Android users, whereas the latest IOS version (v3.4.1) is still from July 31, (3) developers don't yet have a handle on why some apps work and a huge number of them don't, (4) the return to web-based personalizer, as it existed pre-app, is coming in early 2022 and they are referring to it euphemistically as "an option for those who do not have a smart phone and cannot use the app."

Clear to me the app is quite the disaster they never expected, despite what users who have some investment or identify strongly, for whatever reason, with PCL.

Edited by PRNole47
correct typo
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Pretty obvious that the company they contracted with to do the app really doesn't understand software testing - it looks like they didn't bother to test many of the possible error conditions, and only tested what we call the 'happy path'. The interesting question is which Princess IT executive made the vendor selection decision, and what part Padgett (the new President) played in it. I'll try and see if I can coax that information out of any officers and/or the Internet Cafe manager once I'm onboard.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:33 AM, PRNole47 said:

Well, the Level 2 techie I spoke with yesterday told me it will not be until "next year," but could not provide a specific time frame. I asked: "January?" and she said: "We're hoping."

On 10/30/2021 at 9:59 AM, coo359a2 said:

I was giving the benefit of 1 more day (31st) to make the late October date😄

The OCT date was dismissed almost as soon as it was announced and changed to NOV.  That it could be delayed until JAN doesn't surprise me.  But, I would rather they THOROUGHLY test it with real people working with real booking types before letting it go live and risk another disaster for customers.  Princess could use the W here - even if they are down 3 games to none.

9 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

there have been many more and recent upgrades of the app solely for the Android users, whereas the latest IOS version (v3.4.1) is still from July 31, 

Hmmm - the version of the app on my Android phone (OnePlus 9 running Android 11, just got it a couple of weeks ago) is 3.0.96303, released June 7th. It's actually working OK for me - even let me pick arrival groups for a 12/11 cruise - so I'm not willing to risk trying to upgrade it.

2 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Hmmm - the version of the app on my Android phone (OnePlus 9 running Android 11, just got it a couple of weeks ago) is 3.0.96303, released June 7th. It's actually working OK for me - even let me pick arrival groups for a 12/11 cruise - so I'm not willing to risk trying to upgrade it.

Yeah! if it works, don't even breathe on it.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, Red Hat Cruise Cat said:

The only info we can complete on-line is the Bed Configuration, Robes, and Preferred Language.😒

I'm going to give it a try but if I run into problems, I'll just wait until we get to the pier and let Princess staff deal with it.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 11:18 AM, Grego said:

But, you previously posted about a problem you had...

On 10/30/2021 at 5:17 AM, Red Hat Cruise Cat said:

The bed configuration, robes, and language are on the Personalizer not the MedallionClass App. Passports,  credit cards, vaccination proof, and everything else has migrated to the MedallionClass App. But stop trying. They will get you on and you can even just use the actual medallion as just a key if you'd like. 

I cannot get an arrival time. If I still cannot until I arrive at the Princess Pre-cruise hotel then they'll do it. Will only check once a day -- they want us on 

Edited by Ombud