Di I g tables.

i love to fly

Hi. We have only cruised with Oceania lines. In the last 2 years we have booked and paid for a number of cruises that were cancelled not by us but by Oceania. I am sure other lines have done the same thing. Some for cOvid reasons and some for other reasons. I am thinking that for benefit reasons we should get credit for those cancelled cruises. By now we would have 12 cruises done in the quest to get to our 20th cruise and this a free cruise not to mention the better room credit and other amenities that long time cruisers acquire. What are the thoughts out there?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, i love to fly said:

Hi. We have only cruised with Oceania lines. In the last 2 years we have booked and paid for a number of cruises that were cancelled not by us but by Oceania. I am sure other lines have done the same thing. Some for cOvid reasons and some for other reasons. I am thinking that for benefit reasons we should get credit for those cancelled cruises. By now we would have 12 cruises done in the quest to get to our 20th cruise and this a free cruise not to mention the better room credit and other amenities that long time cruisers acquire. What are the thoughts out there?

Nice try.

IMO, the only time someone should get cruise credits for a “cruise not taken” is when YOU cancel during the 100% penalty phase. In that situation, you’ve completed “your end of the bargain.”

O didn’t create Covid nor did they create the bulk of the restrictions it has caused. In fact, O rightfully has added protections that will cost them income. 
That said, one of the things I appreciate most about O is the willingness to consider reasonable requests for policy exceptions on a case by case basis - often with creative solutions. 
Considering the significant perks that come with moving through the O Club levels, earning Cruise Credits only via an actual expenditure is not unreasonable. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nice try.

IMO, the only time someone should get cruise credits for a “cruise not taken” is when YOU cancel during the 100% penalty phase. In that situation, you’ve completed “your end of the bargain.”

I think you need to talk to @LHT28 about this.  I recall her mentioning that they canceled the day prior to boarding due to a health issue, were out all the money  yet did not get credit for the cruise as they did not step foot on the ship.  

10 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I think you need to talk to @LHT28 about this.  I recall her mentioning that they canceled the day prior to boarding due to a health issue, were out all the money  yet did not get credit for the cruise as they did not step foot on the ship.  

That is the standard practice for most cruise lines and land tour vendors – loyalty credit accrues at the end of the trip.  [I think I heard about one cruise line that does give the credit based on payment, but I forget who.]

1 hour ago, i love to fly said:

My thought is this is utter nonsense!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Yes  we had to cancel a B2B  the day before   so no cruise credits   but we did have trip cancellation ins  (never leave home without it ) so got all our $$$ back

We did have to leave the ship mid cruise (DH again)  but did get the credit as  we did step foot on the ship

Sad but that is the way things work 😞

1 hour ago, i love to fly said:

Perhaps I had an overreaction to this post, but my very first thought was "this right here is what's wrong with the world today."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

Reread my many posts on CC reporting that Oceania will/does consider reasonable requests for policy exceptions. And sometimes those reasonable requests are helped along by equally reasonable “powers of persuasion.” 
Remember too that, in the case you mention, insurance covered the cruise cost. Nonetheless, the right request to the right person for the right reason with the right solution sought might surprise you.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That is the standard practice for most cruise lines and land tour vendors – loyalty credit accrues at the end of the trip.  [I think I heard about one cruise line that does give the credit based on payment, but I forget who.]

Just to clarify, O cruise credits are applied as soon as you embark.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nice try.

O didn’t create Covid nor did they create the bulk of the restrictions it has caused. In fact, O rightfully has added protections that will cost them income. 
That said, one of the things I appreciate most about O is the willingness to consider reasonable requests for policy exceptions on a case by case basis - often with creative solutions. 
Considering the significant perks that come with moving through the O Club levels, earning Cruise Credits only via an actual expenditure is not unreasonable. 

And if you pay and don’t go for any reason you don’t get the credit—unless you really argue the fact and lucky to talk to the right person.  We got a credit for a cruise we didn’t take (in hospital),had insurance. And it wasn’t easy.

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

And if you pay and don’t go for any reason you don’t get the credit—unless you really argue the fact and lucky to talk to the right person.  We got a credit for a cruise we didn’t take (in hospital),had insurance. And it wasn’t easy.

Case by case basis. And yes - it will take a management decision. But, it’s not unheard of.

You can get credit but it is not automatic. On Regent ( also part of NCL) we were scheduled for a cruise on the Explorer shortly after she was commissioned. The ship was waitlisted. My husband had a severe accident 12 days prior to embarking and we had to cancel. I wanted the days credited to our RSSC account. My TA called her contact at Regent and was told it wouldn’t happen. I posted my unhappiness on CC and shortly thereafter I got a call from Regents Miami office with condolences and an affirmation that the days would be credited. Certainly in my circumstance I should have been credited as Regent would certainly fill the room and essentially would be paid for it twice. It was an expensive cruise— I collected $25,000 from the insurance company. Not sure Oceania would fill any last minute vacancies; we’re scheduled for a January cruise on the Riviera and there are still many, many vacancies.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:14 PM, LHT28 said:

Sad but that is the way things work 😞

Worse than that. We took a 21 day cruise for our free 20th cruise (good price, itinerary)

We ACTUALLY paid for and sailed the extra 7 days yet got no credit for a 7 day cruise which by itself would be 1 credit ☹️

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Worse than that. We took a 21 day cruise for our free 20th cruise (good price, itinerary)

We ACTUALLY paid for and sailed the extra 7 days yet got no credit for a 7 day cruise which by itself would be 1 credit ☹️

That is not good 😞

• Like 1