Self Service Laundry Operating or Not on Quest?

SomersetCruiser999

I'm recently off the Quest.  They had several very new looking Speed Queen washing machines, with the dryers stacked on top.  Detergent capsules were provided in a plastic bin.  There's also an iron and board there but I draw the line at ironing on vacation 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are they now providing fabric softener? My recollection from our last cruise (rudely interrupted by Covid!) was that they provided detergent capsules (which should be used because it is sized for their machines) but there was no fabric softener. I packed and used a couple of dryer sheets wrapped in tin foil.

1 hour ago, CynthiaP said:

Are they now providing fabric softener? My recollection from our last cruise (rudely interrupted by Covid!) was that they provided detergent capsules (which should be used because it is sized for their machines) but there was no fabric softener. I packed and used a couple of dryer sheets wrapped in tin foil.

Cynthia, I couldn't find any but may have just overlooked it.  Bringing dryer sheets is a great idea, though.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:13 AM, SunnyNy said:

I'm recently off the Quest.  They had several very new looking Speed Queen washing machines, with the dryers stacked on top.  Detergent capsules were provided in a plastic bin.  There's also an iron and board there but I draw the line at ironing on vacation 🙂

Thank you for the info.  I will do some washing the last day of the cruise.  I like to arrive home with clean clothes and also, it will help to transition me to fending for myself when I get home!

On 10/31/2021 at 10:06 AM, CynthiaP said:

Laundry soap, yes. Dryer sheets, no.

11 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

That’s interesting. You had me googling.  I’m a great one for tumble dryer sheets at home and will now reconsider their use in the dryer and perhaps just use them to make things smell nice.  

Phil

Fun fact: mice hate fabric softener sheets. My DH had two pianos in a storage facility (he’s a piano technician) and scattered dryer sheets to keep the mice away (they  like to make nests and chew on things). I also use them when I store my outdoor chair cushions, after a mouse once chewed on one (they are stored in an out building) and it worked great.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2021 at 8:13 AM, SunnyNy said:

I draw the line on ironing at any time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I have never used dryer sheets.

The only time I now use a dryer is when cruising, for some but not all that I wash on board.

At home I line dry in sunshine, or sometimes on a clothes airer if there are too many wet days.

I no longer own a clothes dryer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

The only time I now use a dryer is when cruising, for some but not all that I wash on board.

At home I line dry in sunshine, or sometimes on a clothes airer if there are too many wet days.

I have to admit that I had to look up the term “clothes airer” to discover that it is not some new technology but apparently an object that my mother called a “clothes horse” and in more contemporary terms is a “laundry rack”.

Each term seems appropriate.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Nothing like the smell of line dried clothes!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Me too and I live in the frozen north!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Nothing like the smell of line dried clothes!

Fair enough, but if my mother misjudged the weather the clothes would all be stiff as a board when I brought them in. 😀

But it was certainly a system that didn’t use one of the least efficient appliances in the house.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, nordski said:

I have to admit that I had to look up the term “clothes airer” to discover that it is not some new technology but apparently an object that my mother called a “clothes horse” and in more contemporary terms is a “laundry rack”.

Each term seems appropriate.

It was a clothes horse when I was younger also.

Yes, all terms are appropriate . . . largely a matter of where one lives.

I can relate to stiff as a board washing on the line where we used to live in southern Tasmania.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...