ArriveCAN

GeriatricNurse

One of the (12-Step) requirement in completing the ArriveCAN documentation onboard, within 72 hours of arriving by air to Canada, is that one must upload a photo of their Covid-19 vaccination receipt.

So, if someone, like myself, does NOT own a 'Smartphone', without being able to take a photo of my vaccination receipt; could someone please inform me how I may be able to accomplish that task?

I guess that I am going to have to purchase a 'Smartphone', learn how to use it; practising taking photos!

16 minutes ago, GeriatricNurse said:

One of the (12-Step) requirement in completing the ArriveCAN documentation onboard, within 72 hours of arriving by air to Canada, is that one must upload a photo of their Covid-19 vaccination receipt.

So, if someone, like myself, does NOT own a 'Smartphone', without being able to take a photo of my vaccination receipt; could someone please inform me how I may be able to accomplish that task?

I guess that I am going to have to purchase a 'Smartphone', learn how to use it; practising taking photos!

Hope we do not need to buy a new phone. Life can become difficulot when you are outside the technology loop

• Like 1

You can download the enhanced Ontario vaccine receipt from here:

Ontario Proof of Vaccination

It will download as a PDF file which you can then save to your computer and upload it to the ArriveCan app.  No need to take pictures.

Edit:  Just realized you may not be referring to the actual Vaccination proof so the instructions that DirtyDawg has posted are correct.  I thought you meant the proof of vaccination.

Edited by hancogran

21 minutes ago, GeriatricNurse said:

From: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-to-use-the-arrivecan-app-if-you-don-t-have-a-smartphone-1.5480882

If you don't have a compatible smartphone, you can submit your information through the browser version of ArriveCAN on any computer. This can include a public computer at a library, an internet café or a hotel.

These places will also often have a printer, allowing you to print out your ArriveCAN receipt. Upon arrival, a Canadian Border Services officer will ask to see your ArriveCAN receipt. If you're not carrying a smartphone or other device, be sure to have a printout of our ArriveCAN receipt ready.

Alternatively, the government also suggests asking a friend or a family member who does have a compatible device to fill out the information for you and email you the receipt. You'll still have to find a printer to print the receipt if you choose this option.

48 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

From: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-to-use-the-arrivecan-app-if-you-don-t-have-a-smartphone-1.5480882

If you don't have a compatible smartphone, you can submit your information through the browser version of ArriveCAN on any computer. This can include a public computer at a library, an internet café or a hotel.

These places will also often have a printer, allowing you to print out your ArriveCAN receipt. Upon arrival, a Canadian Border Services officer will ask to see your ArriveCAN receipt. If you're not carrying a smartphone or other device, be sure to have a printout of our ArriveCAN receipt ready.

Alternatively, the government also suggests asking a friend or a family member who does have a compatible device to fill out the information for you and email you the receipt. You'll still have to find a printer to print the receipt if you choose this option.

From that link:

"Officials from the Public Health Agency of Canada, speaking on background, said that travellers dealing with "exceptional circumstances" outside of their control that prevents them from using the app or asking a friend or family member, won't be penalized for presenting paper copies of their documents."

So OP should be able to show paper copies I suspect.

31 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

From that link:

"Officials from the Public Health Agency of Canada, speaking on background, said that travellers dealing with "exceptional circumstances" outside of their control that prevents them from using the app or asking a friend or family member, won't be penalized for presenting paper copies of their documents."

So OP should be able to show paper copies I suspect.

Thank the Good Lord that someone understands that not everyone is a technical/digital wizard.   I would hope that paper is acceptable…it’s what alot of the ‘older’ folks have relied on their whole life.  I believe in progress and know it’s necessary…but my interest to learning ratio is not very high.

• Like 1

If a picture is desired, display the certificate on your PC screen and use screen capture (snap shot). Browsers have add-ins for this. (I use one called FireShot, available for many browsers and on Apple.)

In Windows one can use windows-key+shift+s. Move the mouse to the top left corner of the area to be copied. Press and hold the left mouse button and drag it to the lower right corner of the image area. Release the mouse button. Open Windows Paint and paste the copied image. Save the image file.

I thnk someone in another board, said to bring a laptop if you have one. Or hopes the person that you are travelling with has a smartphone.

I also thought the OP was referring to the covid negative test that they would get from the cruiseline at the end of the cruise. I think those are typically emailed. And what would happen if the OP ends up like that youtuber, Don who didn't get the test on the ship before he left. That would be a massive headache without a smartphone or a computer available.

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

The ArriveCAN app gives you the option of uploading a photo or a file. As your receipt would have been downloaded as a PDF file, you can upload it to the app. I do have a camera on my iPhone, but it was easier to simply upload the file. Here's a screen grab showing the app with my two uploaded PDF receipts"

IMG_3117.thumb.PNG.628846ff6ea85507358eaed6db59f887.PNG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hancogran said:

It will download as a PDF file which you can then save to your computer and upload it to the ArriveCan app.  No need to take pictures.

Edit:  Just realized you may not be referring to the actual Vaccination proof so the instructions that DirtyDawg has posted are correct.  I thought you meant the proof of vaccination.

11 hours ago, hancogran said:

Yes, I did mean the proof of vaccination and I had already downloaded it as a PDF file and saved it to the Documents on my computer. 

Thank you for your reply with the information.  I appreciate it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xcell said:

I thnk someone in another board, said to bring a laptop if you have one. Or hopes the person that you are travelling with has a smartphone.

I also thought the OP was referring to the covid negative test that they would get from the cruiseline at the end of the cruise. I think those are typically emailed. And what would happen if the OP ends up like that youtuber, Don who didn't get the test on the ship before he left. That would be a massive headache without a smartphone or a computer available.

So, I do have a Samsung Tablet, om which I have downloaded and installed the ArriveCAN app.

As well, I have take a picture of my QR Code Covid-19 Proof of Vaccination with my tablet and have saved it on my tablet.

Also, I have Cogeco Webmail, (for travelling), and can pick up any emails with Cogeco Webmail.

Now, my final concern would be be able to print off a receipt of the results of my PCR Test, done onboard! 

Can I 'link' my tablet with a printer in the 'ilounge', in order to be ale to print of my receipt?

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The ArriveCAN app gives you the option of uploading a photo or a file. As your receipt would have been downloaded as a PDF file, you can upload it to the app. I do have a camera on my iPhone, but it was easier to simply upload the file. Here's a screen grab showing the app with my two uploaded PDF receipts"

IMG_3117.thumb.PNG.628846ff6ea85507358eaed6db59f887.PNG

Can I upload my two vaccine proofs at any time prior to my travel?

6 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Can I upload my two vaccine proofs at any time prior to my travel?

I did. I did a pretend trip (since you can only go all the way through the process 3 days in advance of your return), and was able to upload the documents. Then I just didn't complete it at that time. When we were actually returning I completed everything and it had saved all of my previous answers and vaccination proof. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Definitely. For a March 2022 cruise, I have already filled in all of the information on the app other than the flight. 

I tried to do this but if I don't enter the flight info (or land, sea, etc), it won't let me move forward in the app.   What am I doing wrong?

14 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

So, I do have a Samsung Tablet, om which I have downloaded and installed the ArriveCAN app.

As well, I have take a picture of my QR Code Covid-19 Proof of Vaccination with my tablet and have saved it on my tablet.

Also, I have Cogeco Webmail, (for travelling), and can pick up any emails with Cogeco Webmail.

This is good!  With a  Samsung tablet, you can do everything you need to do -- and perhaps easier than a smartphone, because you've got a bigger surface area to read things, drag things around, etc. 

As much as the Canadian government is trying to accommodate people who don't have smartphones or tablets, the complicated systems for coming and going from Canada and other countries really do rely on them as tools. Yes, a person can eat a full course dinner without a fork, knife or spoon, but it gets messy.  A tablet is a good travel 'spork'. 

Edited by lots-of-km2

12 minutes ago, hancogran said:

I tried to do this but if I don't enter the flight info (or land, sea, etc), it won't let me move forward in the app.   What am I doing wrong?

Go back to post 15; you put in a dummy date to proceed, upload all the documents, and then 3 days before your departure you correct the flight information.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, hancogran said:

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I should have said that I filled in everything except the actual flight date. Instead, I used a fictitious flight date a day or two from the date when I was filling it in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I should have said that I filled in everything except the actual flight date. Instead, I used a fictitious flight date a day or two from the date when I was filling it in.

Gotcha !! Thanks so much.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Now, my final concern would be be able to print off a receipt of the results of my PCR Test, done onboard! 

Can I 'link' my tablet with a printer in the 'ilounge', in order to be ale to print of my receipt?

Yes, you should be able to link your Samsung tablet to a wireless printer to print your receipt.  I also have a Samsung tablet which I carry with me when we travel and when I can't access a printer, I've had the front desk at the hotel print off our airline boarding passes for our flight home.  

If you don't want to go to the bother of printing out the receipt, you can save it as a screen shot on your tablet and show it like that.. it doesn't have to be a paper copy.  From what I've read, if you use the ArriveCan app, the receipt will show up there but if you've accessed it through your browser, the receipt will be sent to your email.  

28 minutes ago, hancogran said:

Yes, you should be able to link your Samsung tablet to a wireless printer to print your receipt.  I also have a Samsung tablet which I carry with me when we travel and when I can't access a printer, I've had the front desk at the hotel print off our airline boarding passes for our flight home.  

If you don't want to go to the bother of printing out the receipt, you can save it as a screen shot on your tablet and show it like that.. it doesn't have to be a paper copy.  From what I've read, if you use the ArriveCan app, the receipt will show up there but if you've accessed it through your browser, the receipt will be sent to your email.  

Thank you very much for this valuable information!  I learned a lot from your post to my thread! 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Any internet mail platform, be it Cogeco, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, AOL or one of the many others, are all dependent on internet access. Your indication that you are using Cogeco Webmail "for travelling" raises a bit of concern, as whatever email platform you use at home can be used equally while travelling. Also, email aside, you need to have internet service to submit your information using the ArriveCAN app, and to receive your receipt. So my question is, will you have internet service on your ship?

Is it mandatory to use the ArriveCAN site to arrive back into Canada?  I was able to put it on my iPad…but all I get are screens like ‘Are you eligible to Enter Canada’ and this ArriveCan is used to keep Canadians safe. Nothing about putting my QR code in it, or putting other information in it. Where are those screens? Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?  Or if I really don’t need it,  I’ll delete it.  It’s so darn frustrating.