How to attack laundry on a back to back cruise?

Phych

We're planning a back to back cruise - disembarking Royal Caribbean in Miami, staying a night at Hilton Miami Downtown, then getting on Norwegian the next day. How would you go about attacking your laundry?

• Do it day before disembarkation on Royal Caribbean
  • Have laundry done at Hilton Miami (hoping for same day or morning pickup)
  • Do laundry on Norwegian (will plan for a couple days clean clothes)

Research which cruise line has the more user friendly laundry, and do it on that ship. Or, don't plan on every 7 days, (assuming these are two 7 day cruises), plan on every 5 days, so laundry on both ships.

Having the ship do you laundry requires them to have it for 24 hours, maybe 36 to be safe.

I think I would consider packing for two weeks and not worry about dong laundry.  Otherwise, I think my choice #1 would be to talk to the Hilton about overnight service.  #2 --  dropping laundry at the first day of the second cruise would seem a safe approach.  

Edited by ldubs

I will 2nd Idubs suggestion.  Or 2nd choice, if the OP feels like using their day between, they can find a laundry or laundry service to clean their attire.

{Quibbling here, but I wouldn't call this a B2B, nor technically speaking is it a side to side.  It's just 2 separately booked cruises.}

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, evandbob said:

{Quibbling here, but I wouldn't call this a B2B, nor technically speaking is it a side to side.  It's just 2 separately booked cruises.}

I think it is better described as a back to front cruise.  😃

We had something similar with Thomson/Marella, which offers stay/cruise packages... After a beach week in Egypt, I wanted to wash everything once we were on board, and as we were taken early to the ship, I was the first in the launderette. 

Most ships we've been on haven't opened the launderette on departure day, so I was lucky this time; otherwise I would have waited until the next morning.

I had to digest the idea of "attacking" laundry since I have never thought of laundry as something to be attacked (perhaps DW disagrees).  But OK, I get it.  Somebody is going to take back to back 7 day cruises so we are talking about 14 (perhaps 15) days.  What to do?  As one who routinely takes 2 month trips (and cruised that long and longer) I do get it!  My advice to the OP is to simply pack enough for two weeks.  Yes, I understand that many folks are proud that they can pack for 10 years in a single carry on.  On the other hand there are folks like DW and me that have trouble keeping our luggage under 130 pounds for 3 days :).  

But seriously, you should enjoy your cruise/vacation without having to deal with laundry.  A couple should be able to easily pack for 2 weeks in two checked pieces of luggage (plus 2 carry on's).  If you want to travel light and deal with laundry that is your choice but it is not necessary.

So, let the folks flame me for admitting that we are "heavy" packers.  And yes, when we go away for weeks we do have a laundry strategy which often involves just sending it out!  But that would never happen to us on a 2-3 week trip.  If we are on a ship where we get free laundry (we get this as a perk on several cruise lines) we do take advantage.  Otherwise we plan on packing enough to get us through the trip.

So here is a simple strategy.  On most cruises you will likely dress in "smart casual" on most evenings.  Folks generally dress just after they take a shower and they are only in those clothes for a few hours.  Most shirts and outfits can be used a 2nd night without being laundered.  So on a 14 day cruise I can get along with the same number of evening shirts as on a 7 day cruise (although I might cram in 1 or 2 backups).   DW will mix and match so that she does not need to wear the same outfit more then once (most guys could care less about such a dastardly deed).  Underwear takes up little room and folks should be able to easily cram in enough for two weeks.  

Hank

Thanks OP for the question.  I have only been on two cruises to date (one Princess and one NCL) but will take THREE cruises between mid-January and mid-March as I'll be in between jobs.  I'm very excited.  My two late January cruises are also B2B (or whatever the correct term is) and based in Miami with one night in a Miami hotel still to be determined.  

I'm a class over packer but I'm going to challenge myself to back just carryon and I'll be solo.  My February/March cruise is 20 days and I'll likely have a larger piece of checked luggage.  

I'm researching Miami hotels now so if I get any school regarding laundry services I'll pass them on but I like the option of doing laundry once before the end of the first cruise and then being relatively set for the second cruise.  I also have no probably with doing some quick hand/sink laundry for socks or lingerie.  

There is always the possibility of hotel laundry service being delayed/lost - risking sailing on second leg short of a lot of stuff.   If costs are comparable, do a load on each ship -- if one includes laundry and the other charges a lot, pick the better deal.

Not rocket science - just common sense.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is always the possibility of hotel laundry service being delayed/lost - risking sailing on second leg short of a lot of stuff.

That would be a concern of mine if I had only an overnight in a hotel between cruises.  Very unwise to depend on such service, I think.  

Send one load out a few nights before docking.  Send another load out a few days after boarding the second cruise.   

Then bung all your dirty laundry in your suitcase at the end of the second cruise.  

If there are a few days between cruises drop you laundry off at a laundromat  where they do it all for you.  Wash, fold, press. Pick it up in the afternoon and you are good to go.    

We have done this countless times not necessarily between cruises.

Laundry is not something that we do not fuss over.  Somehow it all gets done when it needs to be done.  At least that has been the case over years of extended international travel-business and leisure.

Edited by iancal