Priority Boarding

jimgev

We had priority boarding for our last two cruises, August and October, and both were Boarding Group A. Both times it really didn’t matter if we went to the priority line because there was hardly any waiting in either line. I’m not sure if having a later boarding group would have made a difference or not. Boarding after the pause has been a streamlined process and much easier. I think it took longer for the representative to check our vaccine cards and covid tests than it did to actually check in. And also one less step now is having key cards at your cabin door. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I am not sure I understand the advantage of not giving you your key card at checkin.  It only takes a few seconds.  Any idea what’s behind the change?

I think they had started that even pre-Covid perhaps? but I suppose it does suit a system designed for less person-to-person contact and avoiding masses congregating indoors. The former point where you lined up for personnel who aimed a camera as you stood at a check-in desk and gave you a packet (daily program, little desk plan, room cards etc) is no more. 

Much more is accomplished now on the app prior to people arriving at the pier, including uploading photo head shots, filling out the health questionnaire, and the usual online check-in with credit card & passport.

At check-in Friday we were not handed anything - no daily program (on the app & bed in the room), no tiny deck plan (on the app), no key (in the door slot). At some point we went through the usual airport-type security.

Normally my dog’s paperwork takes most of the time at check-in, but a supervisor glanced at it and told us to present it at the customer service desk on board. And up the gangway we went.

Very streamlined, fast process now, as Sharon in AZ said, but perhaps there will be lengthy lines inside the pier when big ships sail full. I’m guessing the passenger counts for all ships at Port Everglades are well below capacity. Friday we faithfully waited until our assigned 2 p.m. (well, 1:45) and almost had the parking garage and pier all to ourselves. It was unexpected and a bit strange.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question - if your cabin key card is picked up at your cabin, how do you scan onto the ship like normal?  Plus, what if you wanted to stop somewhere onboard before you go to your cabin (like going to shore excursions to book before the crowds).  What am I missing here?

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Question - if your cabin key card is picked up at your cabin, how do you scan onto the ship like normal?  

That’s a good question.  I don’t have a problem with getting the key at the cabin, just not sure the advantage despite @Caribbean Chris excellent explanation. 

17 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Question - if your cabin key card is picked up at your cabin, how do you scan onto the ship like normal?  Plus, what if you wanted to stop somewhere onboard before you go to your cabin (like going to shore excursions to book before the crowds).  What am I missing here?

I will know for sure Wednesday but I would bet the bar code on your Nav app works the same way as the bar code on your cabin key card. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

They scan the barcode on your boarding pass.  So you can buy a drink if your room isn't ready yet, or stop by the Excursion Desk before the crowds.  Your photo that you submitted, or the photo they took at the terminal is also linked to that boarding pass barcode, so no one else can use it (just like your room key).

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Question - if your cabin key card is picked up at your cabin, how do you scan onto the ship like normal? 

When boarding the N. Amsterdam last month, we had to show our boarding pass (paper or nav. app) as we entered the ship after check in. The boarding pass has the appropriate bar code.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I suspect that HAL is using the same system that has been in use by Seabourn (a sister company) for some time.  The key cards are already activated so when you get them at your cabin they are fully functional.  Seabourn does it slightly differently in that they take you directly to your cabin (where the door is open) and the key cards are in the cabin with all the other "stuff" one gets at embarkation.  It does save the hassle of folks at the check-in counters looking for each person's key card.  I guess it also means the cards can be pre checked by the cabin stewards to make sure they actually work.  Over the years we have had a few instances (including on HAL) where our newly issued card did not open the cabin door.  While that is not normally a big problem and quickly gets fixed at Guest Relations, on Embarkation day it can mean a long wait to get help.

By the way, one bad situation happened to us a few years ago when we boarded the Celebrity Silhouette with several thousand others.  Due to some kind of technical glitch none of the key cards would open the cabin doors.  The staff had to rapidly set up stations all over the ship where they would fix the cards (in some cases they had to be completely reissued) and it was a true mess.  It took hours until everyone had working cards.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

You use your boarding pass - which has a bar code - that pulls up your picture.  You will probably have to go to your cabin first - but they should be able to book you with just your name and boarding pass.

So, after all the (appreciated) comments and replies, it seems that the "priority boarding" perk is completely worthless. It merely provides a seperate line which moves just as fast as the regular line for check in. Further, you are still subject to the assigned check in times as everyone else.

In other words, there is no such thing as "priority".

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I think HAL wants you to first go to your stateroom to get your key,  then check in at your lifeboat station with your key, then your activities can begin.  Like you, I would rather get the key at check in. There has already been an incident where someone had entered the wrong cabin  because they misread the numbers on the stateroom door, took the key and entered.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Your boarding pass has a barcode if you print the one online or you can use your navigator app. Haven't tried booking anything without the room card yet but I presume they can charge your room without the card, at least shore excursions/guest services. Not sure about the bars & shops. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I think HAL wants you to first go to your stateroom to get your key,  then check in at your lifeboat station with your key, then your activities can begin.  Like you, I would rather get the key at check in. There has already been an incident where someone had entered the wrong cabin  because they misread the numbers on the stateroom door, took the key and entered.  

This is exactly what they want you to do. They stressed that you should go to your muster station right away several times on our August cruise as they wanted to spread everything out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

So, after all the (appreciated) comments and replies, it seems that the "priority boarding" perk is completely worthless. It merely provides a seperate line which moves just as fast as the regular line for check in. Further, you are still subject to the assigned check in times as everyone else.

Rotterdam currently has only a third of the normal capacity onboard but if it had been fully booked this week, there would have been some 1600 more people converging on the pier the same day. Perhaps the value of a “priority” boarding line reveals itself better under those circumstances.

36 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Rotterdam currently has only a third of the normal capacity onboard but if it had been fully booked this week, there would have been some 1600 more people converging on the pier the same day. Perhaps the value of a “priority” boarding line reveals itself better under those circumstances.

There's 1800 to 2000 on Wednesdays cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimgev said:

I have to agree with you, priority boarding means nothing now.

• Like 1

From our experience in Seattle the priority boarding made a difference. After entering the terminal there were 3 lines. A pretty short line for disabled passengers, an extremely short priority line, and an extremely long line that went back and forth at least 4 or 5 times with people the entire way (not distanced). Once you made it to the front of the line they checked health documents/boarding pass and then sent you to security & check in. After this point there was no need for priority because there were no more lines anywhere (there might have been an area in the checkin kiosks but we went to the disabled check in area and didn't notice). 

Priority boarding saved at least 15-30 minutes or more of standing in line to get to the health check. 

• Like 1