Help making decision - Equinox 9-Day to ABCs or Reflection 10-day Southern Caribbean

1620rock

We are trying to decide between the January 19th Reflection 10-night cruise or the 9-night January 21st Equinox curise.

We have sailed on the Equinox before and enjoyed it but the Reflection would be new to us.  On the other hand we have been to all the ports on the Reflection sailing and none on the Equinox only a land trip to Aruba.  We mainly go to the beach or snorkels so enjoyed all the islands.   Our agent has a good deal on a Reflection o/v cabin.  For the Equinox sailing o/vs are sold out so we would book an inside and hope for a good move-up offer.

I am hoping to get folks opinions about the two ships.  Do folks prefer one over the other ?  Anything special that one has that the other doesn't.  We have sailed Equinox before and enjoyed it but the Reflection would be new to us.

I am struggling with the decision and DH says whatever you want : )

Reflection has more specialty restaurants than Equinox. It also has more cabins, so some folks feel it is a bit more crowded. We've done both and for the slight differences, I'd pick the itinerary I wanted between the two. You can't beat the ABC's for snorkeling. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 1620rock said:

We are trying to decide between the January 19th Reflection 10-night cruise or the 9-night January 21st Equinox curise.

We have sailed on the Equinox before and enjoyed it but the Reflection would be new to us.  On the other hand we have been to all the ports on the Reflection sailing and none on the Equinox only a land trip to Aruba.  We mainly go to the beach or snorkels so enjoyed all the islands.   Our agent has a good deal on a Reflection o/v cabin.  For the Equinox sailing o/vs are sold out so we would book an inside and hope for a good move-up offer.

I am hoping to get folks opinions about the two ships.  Do folks prefer one over the other ?  Anything special that one has that the other doesn't.  We have sailed Equinox before and enjoyed it but the Reflection would be new to us.

Solstice class is my favorite and we have been on both ships multiple times.  Not sure how things will be in January but we have taken 4 cruises since the restart and every one of them has had multiple port changes, some pretty last minute, due to Covid, but they were all fabulous!  So, don’t be totally set on any of the ports, but absolutely cruise and have a wonderful time!

I love Reflection and Silhouette because the Lawn Club Grill is our favorite specialty restaurant😋

14 minutes ago, kellyclayt said:

Solstice class is my favorite and we have been on both ships multiple times.  Not sure how things will be in January but we have taken 4 cruises since the restart and every one of them has had multiple port changes, some pretty last minute, due to Covid, but they were all fabulous!  So, don’t be totally set on any of the ports, but absolutely cruise and have a wonderful time!

I love Reflection and Silhouette because the Lawn Club Grill is our favorite specialty restaurant😋

That's great to hear that cruising is going well since the restart.   We usually cruise in January but our Summit cruise was cancelled when Celeberity pulled out of San Juan.  We love sailing out of San Juan because you always have warm weather. 

We held off booking anything new for 2022 until we saw that Celebrity is extending the Cruise with Confidence policy.   Now I just have to break the news to my DD.

I agree about the Lawn Club and outside dining.  The one thing I miss about NCL is the waterfront bar and dining options on the Breakaway class.

That's a very good point about the port changes.  I am leaning toward the 10-day cruise because an extra day of cruising is always better.   I am wondering about the condition of the Reflection as it has not received the Revolution upgrades.    Maybe some recent Reflection cruisers can comment. 

As a recent cruiser, can you tell me if the MDR menus have changed?  It would be nice to have some new options.

5 minutes ago, 1620rock said:

That's great to hear that cruising is going well since the restart.   We usually cruise in January but our Summit cruise was cancelled when Celeberity pulled out of San Juan.  We love sailing out of San Juan because you always have warm weather. 

We held off booking anything new for 2022 until we saw that Celebrity is extending the Cruise with Confidence policy.   Now I just have to break the news to my DD.

I agree about the Lawn Club and outside dining.  The one thing I miss about NCL is the waterfront bar and dining options on the Breakaway class.

That's a very good point about the port changes.  I am leaning toward the 10-day cruise because an extra day of cruising is always better.   I am wondering about the condition of the Reflection as it has not received the Revolution upgrades.    Maybe some recent Reflection cruisers can comment. 

As a recent cruiser, can you tell me if the MDR menus have changed?  It would be nice to have some new options.

Reflection just started this past weekend.  I was on it a cpl months before shutdown of cruising and it was in great shape.  Still one of my favorite ships because of LCG and also love the Persian Gardens on the ship, has a cold room!   Would not worry to much about the Revolution stuff to much.  If your getting a suite then maybe just because of the suite pool area but otherwise I would sail on her if the opportunity arises with a sailing I like and works in my time I can go.  Was sad to see it was mostly doing 7 day next fall in the Caribbean.  I usually like at least 9 days or more.   

7 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Reflection just started this past weekend.  I was on it a cpl months before shutdown of cruising and it was in great shape.  Still one of my favorite ships because of LCG and also love the Persian Gardens on the ship, has a cold room!   Would not worry to much about the Revolution stuff to much.  If your getting a suite then maybe just because of the suite pool area but otherwise I would sail on her if the opportunity arises with a sailing I like and works in my time I can go.  Was sad to see it was mostly doing 7 day next fall in the Caribbean.  I usually like at least 9 days or more.   

We definitley won't be in a suite so it may be better to choose a pre-Revolution ship.  Glad to hear she is in good shape.  

We go to Aruba every year for our land based vacay and I would still book the ABC cruise. We have been on Equinox 3 times and never on Reflection (first time next month), but I would still choose it. You didn’t mention the Ports for the reflection cruise. Maybe it’s because we have been to those ports (likely St Thomas, Nassau, San Juan, St Martin?) numerous times and there is just something about the ABC islands that we love. We have done 2 cruises there, back to back years both on Equinox, and I would go back again in a heartbeat. You will have a blast on whichever you choose!

Well, before the pandemic, we went on the Southern Caribbean on Equinox (wonderful)...our plan was the next fall, get on the ABC cruise on Equinox again.....that was not to happen.  We are now scheduled for the ABC cruise this fall on Equinox again...

My point is, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.  The cabin you desire may help to drive your decision.  

Or do like us, and book both cruises at some point.  

While I would probably recommend the longer cruise in most cases, I'd definitely go with the Equinox in this case because of the itinerary that will be mostly new for you. Of course, we've done dive holidays in Bonaire and have snorkelled extensively both there and in Curaçao, so I think you'll enjoy the ABCs given your beach/snorkel preference.

• Like 1

I can only echo most of the comments above in saying, I would go on the cruise with the best itinerary and one that you have not been on before - that would be the ABC cruise on Equinox. The differences between Equinox and Reflection have much to do with additional costs ( Lawn Grill Club) and additional passengers ( when full, knowing that will NOT be the case here).

If you choose the Reflection cruise, I will see you there...look for the group of 4 passengers on embarkation day with the "concert cruise" T-shirts...

In the case of choosing one Solstice-class ship over another, they are more similar than different. I think itinerary is more important. We love the ABC islands, aka the Dutch Caribbean. They are "desert islands" and quite different from the mountainous rain-forested volcanic islands in the eastern Caribbean. The terrain and vegetation is interesting and they have beautiful beaches as well. They are also ideal if you are traveling during or around hurricane season as they are out of the hurricane zone and tend to not get a lot of rain. We alternate itineraries between the lush volcanic islands and these amazing desert islands.

Never been on the Reflection but just got off the 'Nox for the ABCs.  Had an amazing time, its a snorkelers dream.  In Bonaire for $20 USD there's a water taxi will stop at the reef and you can jump right off it, snorkel it back to Klein Bonaire and take the water taxi back to the main land.

9 hours ago, 1620rock said:

I would not make your decision based on the ship as both are Solstice Class; however, Reflection is the newest of the series and is slightly bigger.  I would go with which appeals best to your budget/ports of call interest.  Price being the same, I tend to go for the longer cruise.

If you enjoy snorkeling go to Bonaire and try to book the Woodwind snorkeling charter.  That’s one of the nicest snorkeling experiences in the Caribbean.  We were on the Equinox since the update and it was nice but not quite as nice as the Silhouette post revolution even for the non-suite guests.  How about tithe Silhouette on Jan 24?  You get the ABCs, a longer cruise and a nicer update.  Sounds like a win-win-win to me if it fits into your schedule.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts with me.   The final decision came down to timing so we have reserved the Reflection 10 Day Southern Caribbean.  The schedule worked out better for my husband's work and new ship for us and an extra night.  

We will look for a ABC cruise for 2023 :🙂  

Now it's time to book our flights and tours!

On 11/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

We were on the Equinox since the update and it was nice but not quite as nice as the Silhouette post revolution even for the non-suite guests.

I've been on the Silhouette since the update but not the Equinox.  Will be on the Equinox next week. What was updated on the Silhouette that was not updated on the Equinox?

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I've been on the Silhouette since the update but not the Equinox.  Will be on the Equinox next week. What was updated on the Silhouette that was not updated on the Equinox?

I don’t think all of the cabins on the Equinox were updated.  My cabin on the Equinox did not have the new gray scheme and the Silhouette had an updated Sunset bar area.  The Sky lounge on the Silhouette also had a more complete update.

• Thanks 1

10 days on the Reflection hands down.  To me it is a much nicer ship, especially in AQ  for the Persian Garden plus it is another day.   The bars are also much nicer. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅