Celebrity Equinox in Barbados,passenger over 3 hours late!

pete1681

So here we are in Barbados,all aboard was 5:30 it’s now 9:12 pm and we are still waiting for one( I believe) passenger.

Captain said she was on some kind of boat and since tomorrow is a sea day he decided to wait.Now all excursions were supposed to be Celebrity only.

So I don’t know what the story is. I’ll report more as more info becomes available. Always some drama!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, pete1681 said:

So here we are in Barbados,all aboard was 5:30 it’s now 9:12 pm and we are still waiting for one( I believe) passenger.

Captain said she was on some kind of boat and since tomorrow is a sea day he decided to wait.Now all excursions were supposed to be Celebrity only.

So I don’t know what the story is. I’ll report more as more info becomes available. Always some drama!

Possibly a Celebrity Private Journey private tour.   I think that would fall under we will not leave you behind.   3 hours does seem like and extremely long time to be late unless they had a major problem like a mechanical breakdown.

6 minutes ago, pete1681 said:

Drama on the high seas! 

• Like 1

This is unacceptable. We joined a cruise ship tour for a specific visit. A couple of cruisers were late back from a stop and an announcement was made that we would have to pass on the stop we were looking forward to. Emergencies happen, but this was not one of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cg52 said:

This is unacceptable. We joined a cruise ship tour for a specific visit. A couple of cruisers were late back from a stop and an announcement was made that we would have to pass on the stop we were looking forward to. Emergencies happen, but this was not one of them.

Why did they just not leave without them??

1 minute ago, Mcgeneseo said:

If it is a Celebrity excursion they guarantee to wait for you. That's why Celebrity excursions can be worth the extra cost. But that length of time is scary.

Ah ok I did not realize it was a Celebrity excursion 

9:45 and still not back,and I don’t know if this was Celebrity excursion or not,Captain did not indicate it was. This will not affect our next stop,Dominica, we were supposed to go to Grenada tomorrow but that was canceled due to Covid restrictions. So we are doing a sea day tomorrow instead.

• Like 1

I spoke to a lady who was on a snorkel excursion and believes this is the one that our missing passenger was also on. It doesn’t appear that someone behaved foolishly (as in wandering away from the group).  All indications are that there is an emergency situation in progress

Just now, cruisestitch said:

I spoke to a lady who was on a snorkel excursion and believes this is the one that our missing passenger was also on. It doesn’t appear that someone behaved foolishly (as in wandering away from the group).  All indications are that there is an emergency situation in progress

Thank you for the update.  Sounds like no one is missing a port tomorrow and hopefully this person is okay.

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Doesn't sound particularly good, but also thanks for the update.

I heard this story,if you’ve ever done the turtle snorkeling in Barbados, all these boats are in the same area with a lot of folks from different boats all very close to each other,very easy to follow the wrong group back to the wrong boat. 

1 hour ago, pete1681 said:

I heard this story,if you’ve ever done the turtle snorkeling in Barbados, all these boats are in the same area with a lot of folks from different boats all very close to each other,very easy to follow the wrong group back to the wrong boat. 

Been there, done that and I agree.  Easy to get confused.  CTBob

• Like 1

We waited many hours in Guatemala (I think) on Princess for a tour to get back that had mechanical problems.  It was a ship tour.  Another time, in a partial Panama Canal transit, my sister were on a tour that got back at least 2 hours late; it too was a ship tour.

There must be more to this story, and I hope it is not tragic.  We were on Celebrity when because an independent tour operator wanting to just 'show us one more thing' and we not realizing how far from the port we were, we were the last people on the ship and and they would have definitely left without us--pulling up the gang plank behind us.

And, it was about 20 minutes before official sailing time, but right at final  boarding time, to the minute.  They did have people out scouring the gate area looking for us and hurrying us along.

3 hours ago, pete1681 said:

9:45 and still not back,and I don’t know if this was Celebrity excursion or not,Captain did not indicate it was. This will not affect our next stop,Dominica, we were supposed to go to Grenada tomorrow but that was canceled due to Covid restrictions. So we are doing a sea day tomorrow instead.

I certainly hope they find her.  So you will miss Grenada?  I am thinking our cruise leaving Nov. 28th will too, as they have cancelled our excursion--others seem to still be on sale though.  I would prefer they would just tell us if they need to skip the island.

I don’t know what time we left, but I know that by about 1 o’clock I could feel the ship moving.  Of course at that time of night the Captain  made no announcement

I expect we will learn more today, although it is always tricky to separate fact from speculation.
Rumors fly through ships passengers who know nothing disseminate hearsay.

We knew from embarkation day that we would not be visiting Grenada.  So we are not skipping that port because of this incident

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t know what time we left, but I know that by about 1 o’clock I could feel the ship moving.  Of course at that time of night the Captain  made no announcement

I expect we will learn more today, although it is always tricky to separate fact from speculation.
Rumors fly through ships passengers who know nothing disseminate hearsay.

We knew from embarkation day that we would not be visiting Grenada.  So we are not skipping that port because of this incident

Sailed at 23.20 according to Marine Traffic

Edited by BigAl94

10 hours ago, pete1681 said:

I usually wait till after snorkeling to imbibe. 

Here is an example of “the truth might be somewhere in between“

I spoke to two officers today and asked them what they could share about the incident.

The first said that she took her passport, turned off her cell phone, and decided not to return to the ship, but did not share that with anyone on board. They had to contact her family back in the states who assured them that passenger was fine and that we should go ahead and leave without her.

The second officer said that she was on a small boat which broke down and that it took a long time to get a larger boat which could tow the small boat to shore, but she eventually returned to our ship.

I have a funny feeling that if I ask a third officer, I might get a third story🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 2