Cagneys 2021 menu: No more pork belly and +$5 over dining package for crab cake

fstuff1

11 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I think it was that way 2 years ago for the crab cake. . My wife likes them. I just paid the difference.  

Must be nice. I can’t justify spending a measly $5 when I paid upwards of 10k for a cruise. Talk about nickel and diming someone.  It’s so tacky. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I don't think I'll ever understand NCL's decisions regarding surcharges on certain premium menu items.  In some cases the a la carte price of two items is identical, but one of them incurs a surcharge of $5 or $10 when ordered on a dining package, while the other is available at no extra cost when using the dining package credit.  It seems to occur most often with "signature" items like lobster or premium steaks.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 6:35 PM, fstuff1 said:

I'm assuming no upcharge for platinum dinner? (So the Tomahawk...)

IMG_20211122_182707.jpg

I was charged for everything that shows a surcharge on the menu whether it was a platinum dinner or it was part of the free at sea dining package.

The $5 surcharge on the crab cakes is stupid considering other items are the same or more and don't incur a surcharge.

The tomahawk is humongous and should have a surcharge. It was amusing to have it once but I prefer the ribeye and filet.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

I don't think I'll ever understand NCL's decisions regarding surcharges on certain premium menu items.  In some cases the a la carte price of two items is identical, but one of them incurs a surcharge of $5 or $10 when ordered on a dining package, while the other is available at no extra cost when using the dining package credit.  It seems to occur most often with "signature" items like lobster or premium steaks.

It is to discourage people on free packages from ordering popular items. For a while, it was shrimp cocktails. Now it is crab cakes. 

When NCL originally removed the smoked salmon from the buffet, it was an attempt to get people who really wanted it, to go to the MDR and out of the buffet. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 11/22/2021 at 7:32 PM, Seany527 said:

Must be nice. I can’t justify spending a measly $5 when I paid upwards of 10k for a cruise. Talk about nickel and diming someone.  It’s so tacky. 

If the total price of the cruise went up by $20 but crabcakes were covered by the SDP, would that be better? 😄

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kylenyc said:

I was charged for everything that shows a surcharge on the menu whether it was a platinum dinner or it was part of the free at sea dining package.

The $5 surcharge on the crab cakes is stupid considering other items are the same or more and don't incur a surcharge.

The tomahawk is humongous and should have a surcharge. It was amusing to have it once but I prefer the ribeye and filet.

what?

they charged you $5 for the crab cake when using the Platinum dinner certificate?!

i would have argued that since it's should be different than the dining plan.

was the tomahawk only a $25 surcharge when using the platinum diner?

or 69 - $35 value of platinum dinner = $34?

On 11/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

It is to discourage people on free packages from ordering popular items. For a while, it was shrimp cocktails. Now it is crab cakes. 

Now that part I get.  What I don't understand is when two items are listed at $39 a la carte, but one costs an extra $10 with the dining package while there is no surcharge on the other, but with the Platinum dining coupon the first one only costs an extra $4 while the second one is still comped.  As I said elsewhere on this board, it takes time to learn the secrets of the NCL rules idiosyncrasies, but once you do you can learn how to game the system.

Just off the Bliss, and I have to agree the upcharging thing is irritating to say the least.  I think it was $20 extra for the surf and turf with the lobster tails looking to be a bout 4 ouncers.  That would bring the "actual full menu" cost to $70 for that entrée.  That's just stupid. In town our best restaurant charges $80 for a filet and an 8 ounce tail that makes the Cagneys dish look like it came from Red Lobster.  I can get a whole lobster meal in many Caribbean or Mexican ports for $20.  The food in the Specialties is usually good but it's far from 5 star quality so upcharging on top of the already high menu prices seems a money grab.   We ate at 5 specialties on our recent cruise and all were pretty solid except one really poor entrée at Blue. The Cioppino I was served in Blue was basically a bowl of boiled seafood sitting in fish flavored cool-aid. Yea, it went right back lol.  The Seabass was much better.  And yea, I would rather they add $20 to the cost of the cruise fair and take all those stupid upcharges off.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

When NCL originally removed the smoked salmon from the buffet, it was an attempt to get people who really wanted it, to go to the MDR and out of the buffet. 

I still miss the smoked salmon at the buffet.  The Salmon moose thing is ok, but not the same.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

On 11/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Now that part I get.  What I don't understand is when two items are listed at $39 a la carte, but one costs an extra $10 with the dining package while there is no surcharge on the other, but with the Platinum dining coupon the first one only costs an extra $4 while the second one is still comped.  As I said elsewhere on this board, it takes time to learn the secrets of the NCL rules idiosyncrasies, but once you do you can learn how to game the system.

I don't dispute that discouraging people is the reason, but for crying out loud if you don't want people to order something, don't put it on the menu.  By adding that upcharge, you mostly just annoy people.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:19 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

If the total price of the cruise went up by $20 but crabcakes were covered by the SDP, would that be better? 😄

Much better.  Crank the price up by $100 or $200 and stop with the incessant nickle and diming and I'd be much happier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Much better.  Crank the price up by $100 or $200 and stop with the incessant nickle and diming and I'd be much happier.

Even when paying more?

If option A is a $10 shirt with a $2 wrinkle removal option...

If option B is a $15 shirt with included wrinkle removal...

They are both the exact same shirt and you would rather take option B?

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Even when paying more?

Economists call it "time and place utility."  It's the willingness to pay more for a bird in the hand today rather than for two birds in the bush tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Even when paying more?

It's not quite an accurate comparison.  

I vacation for the experience.  Constantly being asked to spend more money for things that, IMO, should be included negatively impacts the experience.  

When I started cruising back in the 80s, pretty much everything was included - heck on HAL even tipping was included (no tip policy).  That's the way cruising should be IMO.  And yes, I realize those days are long gone but that doesn't change what I like.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I vacation for the experience.  Constantly being asked to spend more money for things that, IMO, should be included negatively impacts the experience.  

I understand and agree that the active  requests ("Would you be interested in Spa services today?") can be annoying. Seeing an optional item on a menu doesn't really bother me. Obviously, I would prefer if all items were included with the SDP but I would rather be the one to decide if I am willing to pay for that option.

The problem with making things more inclusive is that you end up paying more and potentially end up paying for things that you neither want nor need. If NCL raised the price of your cruise by $200 but some optional thing is included, people who don't want that thing  would be paying for nothing. Even if you take that option 3x a day, it's better to pay $5 more per use than pay $200 more.

24 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

When I started cruising back in the 80s, pretty much everything was included - heck on HAL even tipping was included (no tip policy).  That's the way cruising should be IMO.  And yes, I realize those days are long gone but that doesn't change what I like.

I get that you have a preference but that preference is going to cost more. NCL isn't all inclusive and isn't trying to be. Those "options" make cruising more affordable for people who want to pay less.

Yes, NCL takes things to extremes at times when it comes to what is/isn't included but it's better for people to weigh the options and decide if the extra cost is worth it.

47 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

It's not quite an accurate comparison.  

Some examples would help to understand your position.

What should, in your opinion, be included that is negatively impacting your experience?

What was included back in the 80s that is not available to you today? (BTW, tipping is a bad example as it can be pre-paid, thus making it "included". $100 and adding a $20 tip is exactly the same as $120 with tip included).

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I understand and agree that the active  requests ("Would you be interested in Spa services today?") can be annoying. Seeing an optional item on a menu doesn't really bother me. Obviously, I would prefer if all items were included with the SDP but I would rather be the one to decide if I am willing to pay for that option.

The problem with making things more inclusive is that you end up paying more and potentially end up paying for things that you neither want nor need. If NCL raised the price of your cruise by $200 but some optional thing is included, people who don't want that thing  would be paying for nothing. Even if you take that option 3x a day, it's better to pay $5 more per use than pay $200 more.

I get that you have a preference but that preference is going to cost more. NCL isn't all inclusive and isn't trying to be. Those "options" make cruising more affordable for people who want to pay less.

Yes, NCL takes things to extremes at times when it comes to what is/isn't included but it's better for people to weigh the options and decide if the extra cost is worth it.

You are taking this way too far, making it into something it isn't.  

You asked if the price were higher but more inclusive would that be better, I said yes.  You didn't seem to understand why I would feel that way, so, I tried to explain it by saying, essentially, it's the experience I prefer.  There really is no need or reason to explain it any further.  It's what I like.  Simple.

I never said I wanted NCL to become all inclusive, I never even said they should raise the SDP by $20 and include crab cakes.  You wrote that and I said I'd be happier with that if they did it.  But I understand that NCL caters to those seeking the lowest possible fares, it's their business, it's their choice.  Fine.  I'll continue to cruise them if I want because there are plenty of other more important components to an NCL cruise beyond being nickeled and dimed at dinner.

I have a Le Bistro 2019 latitude  dinner with a $1 upcharge for the lamb, $1.20 with gratuity.

(Lamb rack now shank and chop)

My current cruise I was kindly informed by the wait staff that would not happen if we chose over the current limit items at both our latitude meals.

As for putting the cruise price up they have done that but not removed the silly pricing on some options.

It's all smoke and mirrors depending on your preference.

With the free at sea and dinner packages you can customise your costs for eating speciality.

Even the regular a la carte is silly against the real cost when you package.

dinner for 2 Cagnies will come out ~$150 with gratuity 

That's $75pp the package is ~$30pp Inc grat if you have the 5  less if you book 6 or more.

When they return to not offering all of free at sea on all cabins, for a non drinker the dining package can be better value than taking free at sea.

With sea days getting extra dinners to use sushi or raw bar works and on the ships with more lunch options you can get the meals very reasonable, we do the lunch share when you can get 4 items for a package it's enough for a lunch for 2.

Total cruise cost  when you can get balcony with premium package and enough food options to any restaurant in regular cabins upto balcony under $150pppd that's competitive.