PCR test painful for kids?

robanddeanna

Do the PCR tests for kids go uncomfortably deep inside the nasal cavity or is it the painless method of swabbing that doesn't go so deep?

We are scheduled for a Celebrity cruise in a few weeks and I've been getting mixed responses on this. If anyone has cruised with Celebrity out of Fort Lauderdale with children, can you please advise?

I haven't, but the swab is likely to be uncomfortable, but shouldn't be "painful". Depending on the age of the child, that may be an irrelevant distinction. It is generally a deeper nasal swab, and in a child technique may be as important as the theoretical depth of the swab.

Hope you get an answer from someone who's done it recently.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Take a q tip and put it inside their nose.   It really doesn’t go that far into the nasal cavity.  I would say it doesn’t go any further that what you could stick a finger in.  Rotate it around for 15 second or 5 times.  Repeat on the other side   End of test 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I’ve had several PCR tests this year and none have been painful. I’ve had a couple that went pretty deep into my nostril, but it was only uncomfortable, not painful. Kids may not enjoy it but if they can sit for a shot, they can sit for this. Definately less painful than a shot.

7 hours ago, robanddeanna said:

Do the PCR tests for kids go uncomfortably deep inside the nasal cavity or is it the painless method of swabbing that doesn't go so deep?

We are scheduled for a Celebrity cruise in a few weeks and I've been getting mixed responses on this. If anyone has cruised with Celebrity out of Fort Lauderdale with children, can you please advise?

As with many other visits to the doctor, the PCR test is worse on the parents than it is for the kids.  As others have said, the current PCR tests don't go all the up the nostrils anymore.  Kids take their cues from their parents - if you're calm about the test, they will be ok.  A small bribe to the kids is also helpful.

The answer is, it depends on the skill of the person administering the test. There's a long instruction sheet from the University of Rochester Medical Center with tips for parents,  it is called Preparing and Practicing for a Covid Swab. There are probably others. One of their tips (and I used it for me), tip the head back. And on a human level, I always engage the test giver with a few words of greeting and 'it is my first time' 'I'm nervous' or other signals to take it easy. So far, several extremely gentle tests that I wouldn't even call uncomfortable.   Good luck. 

You have to know which test was ordered to know how deep they have to go. There is no single correct answer. There are three types of nasal swab tests. Nasopharyngeal, mid turbinate and anterior mares.  Nasopharyngeal is the one that hits the back of the nasal cavity. Mid turbinate goes about an inch into the back wall of the nostril, and anterior mares goes less than 3/4 inch into the inside of the nostril. Nasopharyngeal swabs were used early on because it is the same method for flu and SARS testing but the other two have now become widely used.

• Like 1

I've done about 6 tests.   You just insert a qTip in your nose and run it around each nostril 5 times.   No pain and no eye watering like the other one.   You only put it in about 1 inch in an adult. 

I think you could prep them by playing a game and having them do it to their selves with a qtip.

Not painful.  Had it done a half dozen times.  A little weird feeling, but not painful.

As a Father, I know kids like to make mountains out of molehills.  But, in this situation, I think if you just ignore their possible whining, it will go away in short order after the test is done.

11 hours ago, miched said:

Take a q tip and put it inside their nose.   It really doesn’t go that far into the nasal cavity.  I would say it doesn’t go any further that what you could stick a finger in.  Rotate it around for 15 second or 5 times.  Repeat on the other side   End of test 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That is what we did for the antigen test this morning. 

However, when I had a PCR test that was required pre-op, nurse put the swab much deeper into my nasal cavity.