Mens dress code in MDR

Painter4me

1 hour ago, restasured said:

Totally correct.  We were on Feb 16, 2020 Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston and the couple that went with us, he wore "dress shorts", whatever that is, and a collared Polo shirt and was asked to change to slacks.  He did and made similar comments as you did, that he has worn shorts to Fancy Night and gotten in before.  But he didn't that time.  And we cruised again on the Oct. 28, 2021 Carnival Breeze and he tried again and was refused.  I have no doubts that different ships/maitre D' have different personnel, but I can assure you that on  those 2 ships on those 2 sailings there were no shorts in the Main Dining Room.  Many ships have 2 dining rooms, one in the center of the ship and one at the back.  The one in the center is usually less formal, serves the same food and is typically the dine anytime dining room.  They are less formal and might allow shorts.

All I brought were shorts.   We ate dinner every night in the back MDR. Same time every night.  Including formal night. 
HOS Jan 2019.   Our Jan 2020 cruise was canceled.  
And I’ll be bringing nothing but shorts for our Jan 2022 cruise in 45 days.  

968A1826-AF99-4171-9FD8-782C5AF602AF.jpeg

7784811D-BE22-4B4D-8E20-2EE4AF53A74C.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, restasured said:

But it would be nice is some actually thought and not played "it's all about me and to heck with rules".

But isn't that exactly what you are doing?

You are insisting people dress the way you want them to dress in order to create the ambiance YOU want. 

There are no rules, just suggestions, especially as more and more ships move towards "Dress Your Best" rather than Formal night.

• Like 5

We all used to take formal clothing but when airlines starting charging an arm and leg for checked baggage, we stopped. By the time I added the suit and shoes it added an extra bag resulting in paying each way for it. Plus, we have many  formal pics and now don't even go look at the photo's. You will look fine if you dress up, you will look fine if you don't.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

We all used to take formal clothing but when airlines starting charging an arm and leg for checked baggage, we stopped. By the time I added the suit and shoes it added an extra bag resulting in paying each way for it. Plus, we have many  formal pics and now don't even go look at the photo's. You will look fine if you dress up, you will look fine if you don't.

If this was like the old days some genius would be along soon to give you instructions on how to fit everything, including dress up clothes, into one suit case and have it not be over weight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

As this discussion dwindles down (can't be due to lack of interest), thought we'd try another topic that hasn't received much love....

What is a 'chair hog'?  (asking for Wikipedia)

Chair hogs are people who ruin the cruising experience of others by illegally reserving deck chairs by placing objects on them but not occupying those deck chairs, sometimes for hours.

Of course, they perpetrate their dastardly deeds while wearing shorts! 😉

• Haha 3

FWIW,  Recent reports on the new ventilation systems say that the indoor spaces feel cooler than previously.  My dentist had a similar system installed, and I can vouch for the continuous feeling of moving air, as well as coolness.  Shorts do not sound like a comfortable option.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

FWIW,  Recent reports on the new ventilation systems say that the indoor spaces feel cooler than previously.  My dentist had a similar system installed, and I can vouch for the continuous feeling of moving air, as well as coolness.  Shorts do not sound like a comfortable option.

And so it's more important than ever to have hairy legs while wearing shorts in the MDR! 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Glad I don’t have to listen to your logic lol. 
I only wear pants when it gets below 30 deg°.   Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Nice try. 🤣

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

If you are in an area where a fresh air ventilation system was recently installed it will probably have more air changes per hour so there will be more moving air .

The old system would of had less air changes per hour so there would be more down time where the fan was not moving air.

As air passes over your skin you may experience evaporative cooling if there was any moisture on your skin and that will cool your body .

This was the principal behind a wine skin .It would allow some seepage and keep the wine cooler .

Also heat flows from hot to cold so if your body is 98.6 F and the air entering temperature if 75 F there will be a heat transfer. 

Thats why you may feel cooler now .

Thats all 🙂