Mens dress code in MDR

Painter4me

On 12/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, shipgeeks said:

Men in shorts are sometimes turned away and asked to put on long pants.

I have seen this as well, and especially on the Formal nights.  Shorts for breakfast and lunch in the MDR are accepted, but for the evening meals, the recommended dress is slack or khakis and a collared shirt.  I haven't seen anyone turned away with nice jeans, without holes all over them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, restasured said:

I have seen this as well, and especially on the Formal nights.  Shorts for breakfast and lunch in the MDR are accepted, but for the evening meals, the recommended dress is slack or khakis and a collared shirt.  I haven't seen anyone turned away with nice jeans, without holes all over them.

Totally wrong.    Every night in the MDR shorts and a button up. 
never turned away.  Always greeted by the head waiter with a big smile. 
we had 3 big tables with 28 people. Right up front the very first 3 tables too. no one dressed up for formal night and many in shorts.  Never an issue.  And this was 3 weeks before covid hit.   Feb 2020.   
we actually think a few of us had it on the cruise.  

On Liberty right now and I have to say that I was very impressed with formal night last night. The vast majority had on at least a Blazer and tie. Most better than that. Only a few folks looked like they were on a Dollar General shopping trip. 

the lineups for pics were quite long.

My beef tenderloin tasted a little better because of it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

All I had to say, was that truth that people do judge you by how you look, and dress.....and than half the post begin by judging me because I'm brave enough to say what others do. So anyone judging the statement is being judgemental also

You are correct.  We all judge each other all the time.  It is human nature. No matter how much we try to pretend otherwise.  

I will say most don’t judge on the difference between nice shorts or

slacks regardless of whether a table cloth is on a table.   And half the folks in shorts are probably making fun of folks not wearing shorts because of something they are wearing that they find unfashionable.  Takes all kinds.  The world would be boring if we all thought the same.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, topnole said:

You are correct.  We all judge each other all the time.  It is human nature. No matter how much we try to pretend otherwise.  

slacks regardless of whether a table cloth is on a table.   And half the folks in shorts are probably making fun of folks not wearing shorts because of something they are wearing that they find unfashionable.  Takes all kinds.  The world would be boring if we all thought the same.  

I’m online right now shopping for new shorts and button up shirts for our cruise in 47 days.  
I can’t wait to be judged   Lololol.    
I also bring a new funny Tshirt for each day. Love the reactions of other passengers.  Many give a thumbs up. Or I can catch them laughing at them.     
this ones perfect for this post. Lololol. Please don’t ban me.  Lol. 
man I love being judged.   Lololol.  

BAB55FF6-E596-4C99-976A-944F0870D3BE.png

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I’m online right now shopping for new shorts and button up shirts for our cruise in 47 days.  
I also bring a new funny Tshirt for each day. Love the reactions of other passengers.  Many give a thumbs up. Or I can catch them laughing at them.     

Yeah.  Your definitely gonna get judged with that one.  I’m not too judgmental on attire, but I prefer people wear clothing that isn’t obviously vulgar (or at least something a kid wouldn’t understand).  This one isn’t quite creative enough to fool kids (even young ones).  So too many kids around a ship for me to find that amusing.  At an adult event,

I like it.  

Perhaps I’m old school though because while I may be fine with shorts in the dining room, I think it is rude and completely unnecessary for folks to be vulgar in front of minors or women.  Just too many other ways to say things

or to be funny.  Sadly, vulgarity is very common place nowadays in so many settings.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Life is short, live it wide!!~

12 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yeah.  Your definitely gonna get judged with that one.  I’m not too judgmental on attire, but I prefer people wear clothing that isn’t obviously vulgar (or at least something a kid wouldn’t understand).  This one isn’t quite creative enough to fool kids (even young ones).  So too many kids around a ship for me to find that amusing.  At an adult event,

I like it.  

Perhaps I’m old school though because while I may be fine with shorts in the dining room, I think it is rude and completely unnecessary for folks to be vulgar in front of minors or women.  Just too many other ways to say things

or to be funny.  Sadly, vulgarity is very common place nowadays in so many settings.  

As the post said that shirt was for this thread. Not for the ship.  I totally agree with you.  

this is more like what I’m getting for the cruise.  Lol 

DBFA8FBE-2BFE-4BFA-8026-0A3AD0BBEBEA.png

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

All I had to say, was that truth that people do judge you by how you look, and dress.....and than half the post begin by judging me because I'm brave enough to say what others do. So anyone judging the statement is being judgemental also

As you are pointing your one finger at others you also have your other three pointing back at yourself . 😂 Are you brave enough to say it to those you are judging?  Maybe you were that nosy busybody that said something about my wife and I behind our backs on the JOS 2017 at the entrance to the MDR (MTD). Which we heard and I questioned them on it.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

As the post said that shirt was for this thread. Not for the ship.  I totally agree with you.  

this is more like what I’m getting for the cruise.  Lol 

DBFA8FBE-2BFE-4BFA-8026-0A3AD0BBEBEA.png

Gotcha.  I like it.  I didn’t pick up on it being just for the thread.  My bad.  

I’m glad you didn’t tell me F Off,  although even I would’ve laughed a bit at that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, topnole said:

Gotcha.  I like it.  I didn’t pick up on it being just for the thread.  My bad.  

I’m glad you didn’t tell me F Off,  although even I would’ve laughed a bit at that.  

I wouldn’t have told ya FO.. I don’t wanna get banned again.   
I tried to delete the shirt after the fact. But was too late. Lol. 
im crossing my fingers I’m here tomorrow.   I have a cruise in a few weeks. 
And I know I’ll need some info here. Lololol 

• Like 1

It's a cruise ship. It is a fantasy vacation. Nowhere is there a black tie charitable event or a 5* restaurant on board. Those are back in reality.

Do whatever makes you feel the best on your vacation. If your fantasy vacation is to dress up and fully embrace Dress Your Best night, more power to you.  If your fantasy vacation is to embrace the tropics on a Caribbean cruise and dress in island wear (they don't call them BERMUDA shorts for nuttin') then more power to you.  Everyone has a dream vacation, live it to your fullest.  But remember, your dream is not the same as anyone else's.

I attend way too many black tie events for work.  My vacation is island wear, the gowns and heels stay in the closet at home. Oh, and to reference another poster's painting with a broad brush; I dress up in real life AND I love fast food.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'THIS YEAR HAS BEEN HARD. Do whatever brings you joy.'

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

WRONG we all don’t judge people by how they look and dress, many of us don’t give a …., you apparently do.  Then you say you are “brave “ enough to say what others do, how the heck do you know how others think?  Must be your magic 8 ball.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

WRONG we all don’t judge people by how they look and dress, many of us don’t give a …., you apparently do.  Then you say you are “brave “ enough to say what others do, how the heck do you know how others think?  Must be your magic 8 ball.

Hold on. I have a Magic 8 Ball and it never assumes. 🎱

On 12/13/2021 at 2:36 PM, thompson4131 said:

Absolutely!  The "clothing police" no longer exist.  The dress codes in the Cruise Compass simply say "suggested", it doesn't say "required".  I'm a Diamond Plus member and just got off the Anthem last week.  Nice shorts could be seen every night in the MDR.

Congrats on working ‘diamond plus’ into that one…that took effort.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

On Liberty right now and I have to say that I was very impressed with formal night last night. The vast majority had on at least a Blazer and tie. Most better than that. Only a few folks looked like they were on a Dollar General shopping trip. 

Absolutely nothing wrong about being appropriately dressed in Dollar General clothing. Absolutely no need to feel that you need to wear a blazer. Significantly overdressed for a vacation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 1:25 PM, Karma5 said:

If you have hairy legs please cover up....................

Whoa!  My wife has hairy legs!  Does she have to cover up too?  Or is this just another case of sex discrimination against men?  I've seen this many times!

Tipping protocols:  Tip your room steward first,  then your assistant waiter , then your head waiter and finally tip the Maitre D..  If that doesn't work, try tipping the captain.

If you're tipping enough and progressively with each new tippee, eventually you'll get 

your free pass to sit as dressed.  Problem solved.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, Ptroxx said:

Totally wrong.    Every night in the MDR shorts and a button up. 
never turned away.  Always greeted by the head waiter with a big smile. 
we had 3 big tables with 28 people. Right up front the very first 3 tables too. no one dressed up for formal night and many in shorts.  Never an issue.  And this was 3 weeks before covid hit.   Feb 2020.   
we actually think a few of us had it on the cruise.  

Totally correct.  We were on Feb 16, 2020 Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston and the couple that went with us, he wore "dress shorts", whatever that is, and a collared Polo shirt and was asked to change to slacks.  He did and made similar comments as you did, that he has worn shorts to Fancy Night and gotten in before.  But he didn't that time.  And we cruised again on the Oct. 28, 2021 Carnival Breeze and he tried again and was refused.  I have no doubts that different ships/maitre D' have different personnel, but I can assure you that on  those 2 ships on those 2 sailings there were no shorts in the Main Dining Room.  Many ships have 2 dining rooms, one in the center of the ship and one at the back.  The one in the center is usually less formal, serves the same food and is typically the dine anytime dining room.  They are less formal and might allow shorts.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, topnole said:

But it would be nice is some actually thought and not played "it's all about me and to heck with rules".

• Haha 2