I do not recommend the Abbott Binax NOW home test

Eli_6

We are needing to test two adults and two kids.  I started at 7 am and it is now 10:30 and only three of us have managed to test and we have been attempting to test this entire time on multiple different devices.  In total, I think we are at 7 or 8 attempts at trying. (And my husband is a physician so we aren't exactly unaware of how to take one of these things.)  Four times the person on the online program could not read our license/ID because they said we had poor camera quality.  (My husband and I both have $1500+ phones that are less than 6 months old.) Each time, we had to start our "wait" over again.  I have had the internet connection cut out after a test was opened and couldn't get them back on. (Thankfully, I did buy two extra tests.)  Some of the people who help you are difficult to understand and use incorrect words---like telling me to hold the card backwards when she meant to hold it away from the camera.  One guy told me to "calm down" when I was perfectly calm.  Then he told me to "quiet down."  I finally figured out that he was trying to tell me to turn the volume down on my phone . And I still have one more kid to do.  Sigh. Long story short: I wish I had driven to one of the Walgreens that does the 24 hours results rather than going through this. I didn't do it because the closest one that provides 24 hours results me is an hour away, but it would been easier than this.  

Definitely, if you do the Abbott Binax test, be 100 percent sure to buy extras.    

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you had a bad time. I had an excellent experience as did 3 other family members all from separate households.  There must have have been some kind of connectivity issue.  I would definitely recommend especially for people that don't have easy access to rapid antigen testing sites.

• Like 7

I appreciate the alternate perspective, as I think it's a good idea to have multiple opinions on things. 

I've used that test (also from emed, also proctored via their partner and results through Navica), for two cruises thus far in the past 90 days (and will for another one next week) and did not experience the issues you did.  I had a short pause while the system switched from my tablet's front to back camera (to show the ID / test QR code, and that was my only issue....  YEMV. 

Not picking or poking, but I'm curious as to why a physician wouldn't just engage someone in the office where he's employed / has privileges to either perform their own or proctor a regular at home test (instead of using emed's provider). The observation / record / certify the results requirement is something nearly any medical office could perform... I mean... pharmacy techs can do it if you understand my point...

Anyway, still appreciate the perspective.

Edited by Brkintx
  • Like 5

I can see how that would be stressful, and I also appreciate hearing about other experiences, but these tests have been a wonderful option for members of our family.  After our first testing experience at a local pharmacy, where 3 out 5 people did not get their test results back as expected, and 2 did not have them back the morning of embarkation (this was before testing was available at the ports) the Binax Now test is our favorite option. 

We have used the tests prior to 2 cruises and so far, it's been very quick and easy (...knock on wood).

• Like 3

Unfortunately I agree with OP. Bought 4 ABNOW tests from emed for 2 of us. First test was a struggle with language barrier. Finally got it done through much trial and error. Second test was more than a struggle with language barrier. (We got through, only because we'd just completed the first test and knew the routine.) The second test was determined "invalid" with no explanation. Pulled out test #3, and doubled the number of recommended drops of solution. Passed this time. These tests should not be this difficult... 

• Like 1

I've used these to return from overseas, they got the job done though things could of gone more smoothly. Recommend watching one of the youtube demonstration videos before hand so you know what to expect. I had to turn lights on, angle the phone to get things readable for them (not to mention it switching between back and front camera for some reason...)

• Like 2

We used this test for my husband in October and it was so simple. I had extra tests just in case but didn't need them. For me the "language barrier" is mostly the accent and not the words.  We just asked them to repeat if we didn't fully understand and they were very willing to do that. 

This home test is a great option if there is nothing nearby OR if you are worried (as I was) that CVS would just cancel the appointments if they didn't have the people available to work it. I heard this happened to some people the morning of their test.  It is also just a great back up so I don't worry so much about something going wrong with our test method.

So very sorry you had problems.  We have used them three times now and with the exception of a couple of slight glitches we had no problem.

Even though sometimes there is a language barrier the instructions are also printed on the screen as they say them so even if you can’t fully understand them you can follow along by reading the screen.

We will be traveling on New Year’s Eve so we are using them again before we begin our trip….

29 minutes ago, cyclist_guy1 said:

i read not to use a phone to do the test. use a laptop or desktop with a camera to do the test.

All three times we took the tests we found it easier to use our phones……with no problems.

Edited by GTO-Girl

We've done 2 cruises within the last 2 months and used the Abbott Binax test. We're also using it next week for our NYE cruise. I recommend using a laptop and have it plugged into power, disable the sleep setting or move the mouse every few minutes to keep the screen active. Also disable any ad-blockers and other "privacy" browser plugins that may interfere with the testing process. For us all four tests went perfectly except for one time I couldn't see the video image on my MacBook but the tester could still see it. Switching from Chrome to Safari resolved that issue. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Well, I’m glad to have the warning. We have considered using these for our cruise. But I’ll have to be sure to buy extra. Sounds like for every person who’s had a good experience, others haven’t. I wouldn’t want to be scrambling if I didn’t have extra tests, thanks for the warning!

20 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

We are needing to test two adults and two kids.  I started at 7 am and it is now 10:30 and only three of us have managed to test and we have been attempting to test this entire time on multiple different devices.  In total, I think we are at 7 or 8 attempts at trying. (And my husband is a physician so we aren't exactly unaware of how to take one of these things.)  Four times the person on the online program could not read our license/ID because they said we had poor camera quality.  (My husband and I both have $1500+ phones that are less than 6 months old.) Each time, we had to start our "wait" over again.  I have had the internet connection cut out after a test was opened and couldn't get them back on. (Thankfully, I did buy two extra tests.)  Some of the people who help you are difficult to understand and use incorrect words---like telling me to hold the card backwards when she meant to hold it away from the camera.  One guy told me to "calm down" when I was perfectly calm.  Then he told me to "quiet down."  I finally figured out that he was trying to tell me to turn the volume down on my phone . And I still have one more kid to do.  Sigh. Long story short: I wish I had driven to one of the Walgreens that does the 24 hours results rather than going through this. I didn't do it because the closest one that provides 24 hours results me is an hour away, but it would been easier than this.  

Definitely, if you do the Abbott Binax test, be 100 percent sure to buy extras.    

Thanks for the review - I have, naturally, been considering this as a fall back in case my local place cancels my appt to be tested for some reason. There a place only 10 miles from where I work but I have such limited time with my work schedule to get it done. 

• Like 1

We have used the BiNAX NOW home test for 2 cruises so far without an issue.

I did have trouble getting my license to scan, which was resolved by some windex on a soft cloth on my laptop's camera!

OPs issues seem to be a combination of the quality of their WiFi or Internet speed and using a phone without a stand for the test.

We will use the BiNax test for our next cruise if we are still pre-testing in September.

• Like 1

I will say these proctored home tests are convenient, but some might not find them as easy as others.  I, for one, am a little hard of hearing.  The accents made it very hard for me to understand.  My wife didn't have that issue and did the translating for me.  If I had been alone, not sure I would have been able to overcome that issue.  Also, after watching several YouTube videos of folks recording the whole process, I borrowed the idea of having my wife be the (phone) camera operator while I took the test, and then switch places when she took her test.  Worked out very well.  Again, not sure how I would have faired on my own with that.

There has been mention of experiencing the camera switching from front to back.  On one of the YouTube videos, it was mentioned that maybe the phone camera switching was a function of the app when you were supposed to perform different tasks.  It seemed to fit the timing of the dialogue, but I don't know this for certain, and the proctorers weren't clued into this feature as they seemed confused as to why it was happening.

I will say this, for all the issues some people experienced (including me) in doing this proctored home test, I have yet to hear of someone NOT getting the test accomplished.  I am sure it has happened, but haven't heard one reported yet.  If you choose this as your only option, do make sure each person has at least two test kits available.

I am glad some of you did not have issues, but we sure as heck did.  It could have been connectivity issues as where we are living is not near a major city, but we normally don't have a problem with internet or cell phones.  Also, I suspect they are getting a lot more traffic with the holidays.  Apart from the connectivity issues, there was almost always a wait.  Most of the cruise ships are sailing at full capacity (or as full as they can legally get) for Christmas and NY whereas that has not always been the case. Plus, some people are flying and traveling and using this service to fly for the holidays (to different countries, etc.) and creating more traffic as well. So, the fact that you didn't have a wait two weeks ago or two months ago doesn't mean that I am exagerating now.  But the people traveling in the next two weeks and are depending on this service for their Christmas or New Years sailing need to be warned to basically allow a HALF DAY or more if they are going to use emed.com.  

• Like 3