Symphony - terrible / no shows / Covid ?

danielwje1

8 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

I'm so disappointed since we paid quite a price premium for symphony and can’t even see any of the shows. My girlfriend also wonders why I’ve been saying I enjoy cruises. If you were in my position, what would you do? Should I complain? 

It probably wasn't the best idea to introduce a first time cruiser to cruising during a pandemic. I won't even book a cruise now because I know that the experience that I'm buying today might not be what I get 6 months from now. I would definitely voice my concern about the lack of social distancing in the dining room.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DevonfromAcme said:

With all due respect, what did you expect?

You booked a gigantic ship AT CHRISTMAS (literally THE premium week of the entire year), during a pandemic.

I'm really not sure what you're asking, here. . .

I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt on this one because they probably thought the ship would be sailing 50% capacity when booking.  However, this is the worst time in history for a new cruiser to begin cruising since you are buying a pig in a poke.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It probably wasn't the best idea to introduce a first time cruiser to cruising during a pandemic. I won't even book a cruise now because I know that the experience that I'm buying today might not be what I get 6 months from now. I would definitely voice my concern about the lack of social distancing in the dining room.   

Zero in the dining room. Specialty restaurants are well distanced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Hello,

Perhaps let your girlfriend know that sailing during Christmas on any ship is usually a bit different than during the rest of the year. (Personally, I usually avoid holiday sailings due to there usually been more people in general - before the pandemic.) Then also remind her that things are indeed different when sailing during a pandemic on top of that. Yes, the ship may have taken on staff from another ship to assist if some crew are in quarantine. This would not be shocking if you have read any of the threads on here from the past few days. It appears from all the hysteria in postings on this site, people can't help themselves but talk about, speculate, and misinform others about all that's going on with some crew on various ships. But, please don't get overly alarmed by all that. Again, some folks like to stir up stuff or be dramatic online. There is plenty drama on social media as well about cruises right now. I guess it gives people some excitement or attention in their lives. Regarding dining, you can ask for a different table. I was on Symphony recently and ate in the MDR sometimes, but used other options other nights since I wanted to check out the options.  If you look at the dining room, you'll see that there are some areas in which there is more spacing for tables or that the area where a table is located has less staff and passenger traffic. So, you can see that there are some better positioned tables for a calmer experience and more space during dinner. Wuth the dining option you chose, you can ask for a table in a different location. I did each night.  Also, I enjoyed dinner in the Solarium Bistro sometimes. Perhaps consider that option. It was never chaotic there, and I was able to get reservations even though the app said sold out. I was able to ask there directly. Maybe I was lucky. But, each night I was there, there were plenty available tables. But, again, you are on the Christmas sailing, so perhaps it is different. Also, there are options for less crowded options for relaxing on the ship.  Explore the ship a little more. I found two great sweet spots that I enjoyed. No crowds there. I could sit and enjoy views and sounds of the ocean. Did that for  hours on sea days. I left all the people who had not researched the ship in the Solarium pool area to deal with that, lol. You can indeed make some adjustments that will help you have a good experience. There are options. Oh, btw, I loved Central Park at night when events were not taking place there. It was so peaceful. During events, more people were there of course. But, when nothing was going on, it was nice. So, indeed, there are options. Regarding shows, when it calms down a bit, yes, you can ask about status of shows for the week. I'm guessing you mean that in the app, the shows were not showing up or they are not listed in the compass or on that separate show schedule they usually provide Day 1 for the week. Please know, everything is indeed changing day by day right now. Last week and this week, changes have occurred each day as the situation unfolds. Perhaps encouraging yourself and your girlfriend to be open to a fluid situation this sailing will help you both reduce some tension and possuble disappointment. It would not be wise to compare this week to anything like a typical cruise experience. Too many factors are different for that kind of comparison.  I wish you both the best. Have a good cruise. Happy Holidays! 

Hi, I’m on the Symphony 1/29- can you share your quiet spots please ?

I need to get away from noise sometimes due to my social anxiety issues.

Thank You

• Like 1

I am sorry about your experience and hope it improves.  Tell your significant other that this isn't representative of what it's normally like.   Is there live music in the Schooner Bar or the pub?  If so, take them there.  What about dinner in the Solarium cafe?  Maybe, next time, book for a non-holiday time.

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

Thank You

I think there are some alcoves with chairs along the deck 5 running track?

Edited by cruisebot21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

Thank You

Hopefully at a minimum you have a balcony cabin booked so you always have your balcony to get away from everyone. We have been on 5 cruises this year and have 9 booked for next year. Everyone of them is/has been in a balcony or suite. From reading comments online recently, I think the common issue is a lot of people expected their cruise to be similar to cruises prior to the pandemic. The reality we have experienced is cruises are far different right now. If someone doesn’t like that, they shouldn’t be cruising right now.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

Cruising with my girlfriend for the first time. I am a long time Royal cruise but my gf’s first time on a cruise ship. 

we’re onboard Symphony for Christmas. It appears that there’s no production or water shows all cruise (although they haven’t been very transparent about this), just not in the schedules. 

we also could only book anytime dining for 8:15pm. Turned up last night and had to wait in line for 25 minutes before being seated. Extremely crowded. We were seated next to a family with about 10cm between the tables. It felt awkwardly close and not very private. My girlfriend says it’s like a zoo onboard. 

im so disappointed since we paid quite a price premium for symphony and can’t even see any of the shows. My girlfriend also wonders why I’ve been saying I enjoy cruises. If you were in my position, what would you do? Should I complain? 

We also had Vision OTS pull up next to us at Coco Cay and transfer around 100 crew members to Symphony. I can only assume many of the crew have Covid and they’re understaffed? 

I wish Royal Caribbean and the cruise Director would be more honest about what’s going on onboard. If many of the cast have Covid and many of the waiter have Covid, I think being transparent and open would create more trust. 

0419F2E1-2567-4054-AD4F-76AF1B112639.jpeg

I can understand where you are coming from, I too love shows. But with Covid numbers like they are and mask enforcement such as it is, it might be best to have your own “solo” entertainment. I’m sure you and your love One can think of some things to do. ☺️

I am cruising solo so if no comedy shows then it’s Netflix and sleep for me. 🤗

Edited by Maitaivegas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

this looks like my adventure cruise in November.  Absolutely ridiculous lines everywhere with no social distancing for dinner, lunch at Windjammer, off and on at ports.  It wasnt during holiday season.  Our issue was they had no staff due to new staff having to do a 14 day quarantine since ship just started sailing on 11/8.  Masks do nothing if you are standing this close.  They really need to ban the cloth masks and use n95 if they keep this lack of social distancing.  That's what we have for flights and our cruise tomorrow.

I recall our September Alaska cruise on the Serenade of the Seas.  We made sure that we read and understood all of the mandates we had to adhere to be able to cruise.  Surprisingly the N95 mask was not acceptable.   Go figure!

• Like 1

A very diluted product they are giving you now. In less they can improve their product they should shut down for ever long it takes to get things back to much more normal cruise experiences.

It's a shame because this will put a bad taste in A lot of cruisers that will never return to cruising again because of situations like this.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

I’m sure you and your love One can think of some things to do. ☺️

I am cruising solo so if no comedy shows then it’s Netflix and sleep for me. 🤗

Heck, you can do that a home, do you really have to spend that kind of money to do it? Cruising right now just isn't worth it for the product you are getting.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jasongoldberg said:

Zero in the dining room. Specialty restaurants are well distanced. 

We sailed two weeks ago on Harmony.  The distance between tables for MTD in the dining room was nonexistent.  We are sailing next week and thought if we went to late seated dining, (which we thought was on another deck,) we would be a little more spread out. We changed   our reservation only to find out seated dining is also on level three with MTD. We asked about levels four and five and they told us it was for unvaccinated – mostly families. We could either sit on level three in a crowded area or we could sit in levels four and five with unvaccinated.    Great choices.   So we decided we would take our my time dining back so at least we could dine at our choice of time rather than theirs. Of course, my time dining is now filled and we can’t get it back. 

This  all happened about a week ago. Since I believe that our ship will have substantially fewer passengers than originally planned (New bookings are no longer permitted, and many in my role calls are dropping like flies)  I’m suspecting that the dining table distance won’t be as much of an issue.  Honestly we don’t know what to expect next week. We are going ahead and cruising. 
m

edit to add – I don’t believe a passenger should have to rely on paying for a specialty restaurant to have safety protocols.   If that is the answer, then perhaps we should all just dine  in our cabins   At the very least, the company has the responsibility to help maintain passenger safety in the dining room. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From reading comments online recently, I think the common issue is a lot of people expected their cruise to be similar to cruises prior to the pandemic. The reality we have experienced is cruises are far different right now. If someone doesn’t like that, they shouldn’t be cruising right now.  

I think part of the problem is with the illusion that RCI is presently selling. Maybe they should step away from typical marketing and be up front about what expectations should be. In the long run it is better to risk loosing some bookings up front than to have disappointed customers.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

Cruising with my girlfriend for the first time. I am a long time Royal cruise but my gf’s first time on a cruise ship. 

we’re onboard Symphony for Christmas. It appears that there’s no production or water shows all cruise (although they haven’t been very transparent about this), just not in the schedules. 

we also could only book anytime dining for 8:15pm. Turned up last night and had to wait in line for 25 minutes before being seated. Extremely crowded. We were seated next to a family with about 10cm between the tables. It felt awkwardly close and not very private. My girlfriend says it’s like a zoo onboard. 

im so disappointed since we paid quite a price premium for symphony and can’t even see any of the shows. My girlfriend also wonders why I’ve been saying I enjoy cruises. If you were in my position, what would you do? Should I complain? 

We also had Vision OTS pull up next to us at Coco Cay and transfer around 100 crew members to Symphony. I can only assume many of the crew have Covid and they’re understaffed? 

I wish Royal Caribbean and the cruise Director would be more honest about what’s going on onboard. If many of the cast have Covid and many of the waiter have Covid, I think being transparent and open would create more trust. 

0419F2E1-2567-4054-AD4F-76AF1B112639.jpeg

This has no relations to this post but only to the photo. LOL

I was just wondering why people are all wearing warm clothes? (Long sleeve shirts, sweat pants and even sweaters)

Where is this cruise sailing?

Sorry your disappointed in the cruise. Don’t give up on cruising. I has to get better eventually. 😎👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We sailed two weeks ago on Harmony.  The distance between tables for MTD in the dining room was nonexistent.  We are sailing next week and thought if we went to late seated dining, (which we thought was on another deck,) we would be a little more spread out. We changed   our reservation only to find out seated dining is also on level three with MTD. We asked about levels four and five and they told us it was for unvaccinated – mostly families. We could either sit on level three in a crowded area or we could sit in levels four and five with unvaccinated.    Great choices.   So we decided we would take our my time dining back so at least we could dine at our choice of time rather than theirs. Of course, my time dining is now filled and we can’t get it back. 

This  all happened about a week ago. Since I believe that our ship will have substantially fewer passengers than originally planned (New bookings are no longer permitted, and many in my role calls are dropping like flies)  I’m suspecting that the dining table distance won’t be as much of an issue.  Honestly we don’t know what to expect next week. We are going ahead and cruising. 
m

edit to add – I don’t believe a passenger should have to rely on paying for a specialty restaurant to have safety protocols.   If that is the answer, then perhaps we should all just dine  in our cabins   At the very least, the company has the responsibility to help maintain passenger safety in the dining room. 
m

Completely understand. to many people onboard, not enough social distancing?

https://fb.watch/a6XseFOQXq/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think part of the problem is with the illusion that RCI is presently selling. Maybe they should step away from typical marketing and be up front about what expectations should be. In the long run it is better to risk loosing some bookings up front than to have disappointed customers.

I think your point has some validity, but reading all the COVID related protocols on their website and in e-mails I have received concerning every cruise we have been on made it obvious to me the experience would be very different. If anything, the 5 cruises we have been on have been better than I expected, but I had pretty low expectations. I think people having higher expectations combined with the impact of the Omicron variant is leading to a lot of frustrated passengers right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beach710 said:

I think you you pay for a product that includes entertainment you are entitled to it! 

Some people seem to forget that they are paying for the product. When that is the case and the product cannot be supplied some sort of reasonable compensation should be expected.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Royal has been saying they are “returning to normal“ for sometime. They have been increasing their passenger count  every week, and have been selling cruises like crazy. All we keep hearing is that the ship is safe, they are taking safety precautions, and that ships will be at capacity by the end of the year.  

Given this spin, the OP had every right to expect a traditional Christmas cruise.  Unfortunately, for both passengers/crew and the company, we’ve been hit by yet another Covid variant. I’m not sure anyone knew about the effects of this highly contagious variant.  

Sadly for the OP, conditions have dramatically changed since he booked his cruise.  

As a customer we should not have to second guess if the company who also knows we are in a  pandemic are not adequately staffing for a full sailing and the complications that a pandemic could bring. We need to stop blaming the cruisers who booked in good faith. When we book we do not have any way of knowing how many will be on the cruise and if they are staffing accordingly.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

As a customer we should not have to second guess if the company who also knows we are in a  pandemic are not adequately staffing for a full sailing and the complications that a pandemic could bring. We need to stop blaming the cruisers who booked in good faith. When we book we do not have any way of knowing how many will be on the cruise and if they are staffing accordingly.  

Cruisers need to stop playing the we didn't know card.  Nobody said covid was over. It's been 2yrs now and this virus has only changed for the worst becoming more contagious. Yes the symptoms for the vaccinated are not life threatening but they still need to make the appropriate changes to accommodate the virus.  There have been more than enough opportunity for refunds. If you can't deal with the possible changes that may occur then  you are not ready to cruise. We may not be done with this virus until we have gone through the entire Greek alphabet.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Beach710 said:

I think you you pay for a product that includes entertainment you are entitled to it! 

I'm guessing you've never read the cruise ticket contract. It has to be agreed to in order to cruise and upon acceptance, passangers essentially relinquish their rights and privileges.

• Like 6