Will Princess extend the time to use credits from the cruises cancelled at the start of the pandemic?

kywildcatfanone

I was just looking at my personalizer.  We had a cruise cancelled in April 2020, and took the 50% offer for FCC's for future cruises.  I sort of assumed the pandemic might be over within a year.  I now think it might be the new normal almost 2 full years in.  In my personalizer, it's showing I have to book/sail by 12/31/2022.  I'm now thinking that might not happen with the ongoing virus issues, the restrictions from the cruise line, etc. 

Has anyone been able to get their money refunded?  Not talking about the 50% extra they gave  me, but my original expense.  Anyone know if they plan to extend the ability to use those credits farther out?  I have the same issue with airline credits as well.

Anyone know if they are planning to extend the time to use?

5 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I was just looking at my personalizer.  We had a cruise cancelled in April 2020, and took the 50% offer for FCC's for future cruises.  I sort of assumed the pandemic might be over within a year.  I now think it might be the new normal almost 2 full years in.  In my personalizer, it's showing I have to book/sail by 12/31/2022.  I'm now thinking that might not happen with the ongoing virus issues, the restrictions from the cruise line, etc. 

Has anyone been able to get their money refunded?  Not talking about the 50% extra they gave  me, but my original expense.  Anyone know if they plan to extend the ability to use those credits farther out?  I have the same issue with airline credits as well.

Very interested in responses, as we are in the same situation.

Just one example, I had a cruise scheduled for March '20.  I got the very generous 225% FCC.  I tried to move my cruise to May '23 and was told December '22 was firm by PVP and supervisor.  If more delays happen, maybe this changes.  Maybe others have had better luck.  Right now, I have 2 weeks scheduled for May '22.  

Just now, Coral said:

I am currently on the Grand Princess now because I did not think Princess would extend the offer past December 2022. I had asked 2x and was told no.

Same with us.  We booked 2022 up to use credits before expiration.  Our Tax (and yours) was rejected from applying them to 2023 and 2024 bookings.  

Happy Holidays everyone!

I had some of my FCC extended to 4/1/23 by my PVP so that they could be used to book a 3/2023 cruise downunder. But then I started cruising (2× already with 2 more in 2022). Safer on a ship then at home. Highest positivity rate onboard has been 0.78% so far

6 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Has anyone been able to get their money refunded?  Not talking about the 50% extra they gave  me, but my original expense. 

Supposedly you can request getting your original $$$ back as long as you do it before the new deadline for using it and have not used any of it for another cruise.

16 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We were able to get our son's original fare refunded, but we forfeited the bonus FCC to do that. I called in to see if it was doable, and when they said yes, I asked to move forward with that.  I kept  my husband and my FCC.

I have asked three times about extending my husband and my FCC expiration date from 12/31/22 to 2/20/23, so we can use it on an already booked February 2023 reservation.  So far it's been a hard "no" on the bonus portion, but last week (third request), I called my PVP to refare and asked again.  She checked and was able to get the date extended on the original fare portion of the FCC and applied it to the February booking.  This would have been refundable on request anyway - I just didn't lose the bonus immediately like I did with the refund of our son's fare.  The bonus FCC is still sitting in my account with the 12/31/22 expiration date.

I am going to continue to ask periodically about the date on the bonus FCC with hope that they will extend the date eventually.

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not ready to do anything yet, but was wondering what people's experiences had been.  I understand they might not refund the bonus they provided for the original cancellation, but would hope they would refund what I had paid them for a cruise that was cancelled. 

It would be nice if they would document this somewhere so people would know.  Personally I'm not sure how they can give you a hard "no" on extending with the ongoing issues with the virus and it's now constantly changing strands.  But I do also get that 12/22 is a year away so there is time for them to change it, and they have business reasons not to change things any earlier than they have to.  If they can force people to feel they have to use it or lose it, that will generate more sales.

We tried to get ours extended to a Feb 2023 cruise after we canceled Feb 2022, and was told firmly no.  I am not willing to tie up another $1000 so we used the FCCs for short west coast cruise next fall instead. And they also refunded an original FCC that had been applied to the Feb 22, instead of extending it. 🙄.  If I had known all this would be the case, I would have bought new ones when we were on the Grand in October.  Oh well, first world problems, right?

14 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Thanks for this.  Do you know if this is documented anywhere?

It should be in the initial notices you received when your cruise was cancelled by Princess.

From the notices we received:

Q Are the FCCs refundable?
A FCCs created in lieu of a refund are fully refundable. Bonus FCCs are not refundable and should be used before their expiration date.

If a guest has not used any portion of their FCC within 12 months of its issuance, they may choose to receive a refund of the original amount retained by Princess Cruises at the time FCC was issued between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2022, less any bonus amount. To make your request please e-mail our contact center. In no situation shall a guest be entitled to a refund greater than the amount retained by Princess Cruises. If a guest selects an FCC and then requests a refund as set forth herein, the guest will not be entitled to any other compensation/credit.