Monday sailing with Sunday flight travel for getting test results problem

EDLOS

48 hours before sailing with flying in to Florida makes PCR test results iffy.  Must get test on Saturday to meet test window.

Would think a 72 hour window would be more logical ????? 

Did a Norwegian cruise in late November and they pretest before boarding at Pier.  i.e. get Covid on Sunday Flight to Ft Lauderdale a possibility ??

Any iron clad solutions out there ??? 

Help !

1 minute ago, EDLOS said:

48 hours before sailing with flying in to Florida makes PCR test results iffy.  Must get test on Saturday to meet test window.

Did a Norwegian cruise in late November and they pretest before boarding at Pier.  i.e. get Covid on Sunday Flight to Ft Lauderdale a possibility ??

Help !

Why do you need a PCR test?  Try another NAAT test like Walgreen’s ID NOW test, a rapid antigen test, or a proctored at home test.  Many options available.

• Thanks 1

Nothing new here.   This  has been the policy for a couple months now.   Rapid antigen tests are accepted by Celebrity.    I'm sailing this Monday and traveling all day Sunday.  Try to get a test on New Years Day, especially now.  Good thing I planned for this and have the emed proctored tests which I can take tomorrow and have results in 15 min.

• Thanks 1

Not sure why you think there's a problem here. If you're boarding on Monday, get a rapid test on Sat. You'll know the results in less than 1 hour. Get on a plane on Sunday. Board your cruise on Monday. I've done three cruises since the revised two day testing prior to boarding and all three times I've flown a day before the cruise to the cruiseport. No problems with testing on any of the three cruises I've done the Rapid test two days prior. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EDLOS said:

Help !

Norwegian no longer tests at the pier.  Sorry you are now scrambling.  Good luck

28 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Norwegian no longer tests at the pier.  Sorry you are now scrambling.  Good luck

NCL actually reinstated testing at the pier, at least through the end of January. 

46 minutes ago, EDLOS said:

48 hours before sailing with flying in to Florida makes PCR test results iffy.

As others have said, you don't need a PCR test, a rapid antigen test will suffice.  

Read the Celebrity info on testing https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/accepted-covid-tests;

Some options:

1) rapid antigen test... results in hours vs days... you can look for test sites that make appointments..eg CVS.

2) you can do the home test that you can order via a relationship Celebrity has with a supplier of home tests that are proctored by a medical person over the internet https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises/

What my process was for early Dec cruise (before Omicron craziness)... knowing that I was taking two days to drive to port. 1) I made an appointment with CVS for the earliest I could get.. I got up early about two weeks before to secure early appointment..back before lines were around the block..so this could be an issue 2) I developed a backup list of places were I could walk in for a rapid test..in case something went wrong with CVS appointment

3) I considered the home test, but heard of missing parts and some issues that I decided to gamble and not order one... you might want to view come youtube videos of testing to decide. here is an example of one such video

Result..CVS test happened on schedule...we began or drive to port..about an hour into our drive got a text that results were in...pulled over... I had already downloaded the app for CVS minuteclinic... and we got our results.

We are going on another cruise in mid Feb. For that cruise... I will try to make an appointment and may also order the home kit if we still are in a situation where people are standing in lines to get tested... I will wait and see. This also depends on whether or not we still plan on going

15 minutes ago, kearney said:

We are going on another cruise in mid Feb. For that cruise... I will try to make an appointment and may also order the home kit if we still are in a situation where people are standing in lines to get tested... I will wait and see. This also depends on whether or not we still plan on going

Hi @kearney, for that same cruise on the Silhouette in early December, we, like you, had backups to our backups, and I also recommend that to anyone traveling in the near future. We had an appointment early in the morning in Fort Lauderdale at Fast Test Now, (since we were able to make that appt well in advance), a backup appt that afternoon at a CVS, and the proctored BinaxNow home test as a final backup.  Fast Test Now worked fine and we had results in about 20 minutes. We then immediately cancelled CVS. And we used two of the BinaxNow tests (without logging on for a proctor) when we disembarked, before seeing my elderly Mom, and two more several days after we got home from Florida. (They were expiring in January anyway.)

I’d strongly recommend to you and anyone else to at least have the proctored home tests on hand as a backup for travel requirements.  

Happy New Year, and stay safe!

Edited by Turtles06

"Paid" tests are super easy to get almost anytime. It's becoming the challenge to get the test for free depending where you are. 

Have a similar dilemma because of the holidays, etc. Getting test at airport site for $75. Could be worse. 

8 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Not sure why you think there's a problem here. If you're boarding on Monday, get a rapid test on Sat. You'll know the results in less than 1 hour. Get on a plane on Sunday. Board your cruise on Monday. I've done three cruises since the revised two day testing prior to boarding and all three times I've flown a day before the cruise to the cruiseport. No problems with testing on any of the three cruises I've done the Rapid test two days prior. 

Saturday is New Years Day. It’s not that easy when you’re traveling the day before.

1 hour ago, Firepath said:

Saturday is New Years Day. It’s not that easy when you’re traveling the day before.

Understand your predicament finding a last minute test.   I would have said do the Proctored Self Test but that is probably out of the question at this late date.    If you can't find one go to a paid clinic and expect to pay about $75-125 each.   

I found that https://www.covidclinic.org/coral-spring  (just outside FLL)   has appointments available for 1/1 after 10AM.  Results in less than 1 hour.   Fort Lauderdale office doesn't have any until 7th January   Miami has some also

Good luck

3 hours ago, Firepath said:

The OP didn't have any dates and the way the post is worded doesn't imply any particular date. It doesn't say, 'sailing THIS Monday'. It says Monday Sailing which could mean any Monday.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Understand your predicament finding a last minute test.   I would have said do the Proctored Self Test but that is probably out of the question at this late date.    If you can't find one go to a paid clinic and expect to pay about $75-125 each.   

I found that https://www.covidclinic.org/coral-spring  (just outside FLL)   has appointments available for 1/1 after 10AM.  Results in less than 1 hour.   Fort Lauderdale office doesn't have any until 7th January   Miami has some also

Good luck

I have the proctored test and fingers crossed it will work for me. I found open Urgent Cares in my area, but they advised they may not have enough Fast tests to go around and "because of the holiday" results won't be ready until Monday. Large metropolitan areas may have better luck.

22 hours ago, EDLOS said:

Help !

Might want to check to see if Sunday appointments are available at this FLL airport site.  Go to Broward.org, Coronavirus to register for an appt. 

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)

The test collection site at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) is located in Terminal 3, pre-security, on the lower level near baggage claim. Follow directional signage. The site is open to consumers that can provide proof of travel plans to or from FLL on any airline – e.g. valid airline ticket, boarding pass or confirmed (paid) flight itinerary. There is a fee for testing at this site: $159 for a Rapid PCR; $99 for a PCR; $59 for a Rapid Antigen test. Credit and debit cards are accepted with a touch-free transaction and email receipt.

Normal operating hours are 7AM-9PM daily. This site is operated in partnership with Nomi Health, Spirit Airlines and Broward County Aviation Department. Appointments are required; for more information and to register, visit Nomi Health's FLL weblink. However, walk-ups may be accepted if no appointments are waiting for service. Rapid Antigen test results are sent approximately 30 minutes after testing. PCR test results are available approximately 48 hours after testing.

Here are the most Frequently Asked Questions.

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Hi @kearney, for that same cruise on the Silhouette in early December, we, like you, had backups to our backups, and I also recommend that to anyone traveling in the near future. We had an appointment early in the morning in Fort Lauderdale at Fast Test Now, (since we were able to make that appt well in advance), a backup appt that afternoon at a CVS, and the proctored BinaxNow home test as a final backup.  Fast Test Now worked fine and we had results in about 20 minutes. We then immediately cancelled CVS. And we used two of the BinaxNow tests (without logging on for a proctor) when we disembarked, before seeing my elderly Mom, and two more several days after we got home from Florida. (They were expiring in January anyway.)

I’d strongly recommend to you and anyone else to at least have the proctored home tests on hand as a backup for travel requirements.  

Happy New Year, and stay safe!

Thanks Turtles06 for your response.  We have an appointment with FastTestNow on Jan 7, which we also made well in advance.  Just nice to hear all went as planned with you!

1 hour ago, naburleson said:

Thanks Turtles06 for your response.  We have an appointment with FastTestNow on Jan 7, which we also made well in advance.  Just nice to hear all went as planned with you!

You’re very welcome. Just know that their street address is in Wilton Manors, and they are located behind a Cricket Wireless. When you are driving east along W Oakland Park Blvd, look for that Cricket Wireless, and once you see it, turn right immediately into the driveway to the left of their building. That’s where Fast Test Now is. 

Happy New Year!

D4427CE6-6F76-4472-B13D-86088C544E34.thumb.jpeg.e06d6df5790d185566bf64e683d2a59d.jpeg

Acceptable Test by Brand

Is there a list by BRAND and type "antgen" that the cruise industry  universally accepts and more importantly, those by Brand and type that are NOT accepted. The cruise industry has an obligation to not leave anyone  stranded on the pier though vague information and all cruise lines ought to agree on this. Just plain common sense !

1 hour ago, EDLOS said:

Acceptable Test by Brand

Is there a list by BRAND and type "antgen" that the cruise industry  universally accepts and more importantly, those by Brand and type that are NOT accepted. The cruise industry has an obligation to not leave anyone  stranded on the pier though vague information and all cruise lines ought to agree on this. Just plain common sense !

It’s not a brand issue, it’s the type of test. You may get a molecule test (PCR or NAAT) or an antigen test.  What you may not do is use a home test that is not proctored by an independent third party. Celebrity’s web site is clear as to what types of test are accepted. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

If you really want to get into the weeds, you can look up the tests that have been authorized by the FDA. 

I don’t recall reading of anyone “stranded on the pier” over a brand.

Edited by Turtles06

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

If you really want to get into the weeds, you can look up the tests that have been authorized by the FDA. 

Just curious.  
Isn’t it true that the FDA has not fully approved any COVID test?

Many COVID have EUA approvals.  Are you suggesting that some tests being used today are being used without an EUA?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Just curious.  
Isn’t it true that the FDA has not fully approved any COVID test?

Many COVID have EUA approvals.  Are you suggesting that some tests being used today are being used without an EUA?

Thanks.

Not at all.  I carefully used the word "authorized" and not "approved," because I think most, if not all, the tests are being used per Emergency Use Authorizations.   (Haven't done the research to check; certainly doesn't matter in terms of cruising.)  I can't imagine any reputable pharmacy or testing site is using tests that lack an EUA (if there even are any such things).

(Tip: when you quote someone's post, put your own reply *outside* the quote box, so it doesn't appear as though the person you are quoting [in this case, me] wrote the text that is in fact yours but is erroneously in the quote box.  🙂 )

Happy New Year!

Edited by Turtles06

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Not at all.  I carefully used the word "authorized" and not "approved," because I think most, if not all, the tests are being used per Emergency Use Authorizations.   (Haven't done the research to check; certainly doesn't matter in terms of cruising.)  I can't imagine any reputable pharmacy or testing site is using tests that lack an EUA (if there even are any such things).

(Tip: when you quote someone's post, put your own reply *outside* the quote box, so it doesn't appear as though the person you are quoting [in this case, me] wrote the text that is in fact yours but is erroneously in the quote box.  🙂 )

Happy New Year!

I deleted some of your post and forgot to get out of the box.  My bad.   Sorry.

Thank you for the clarification.

Happy New Year to you.

• Thanks 1