Would you cruise if masks required indoors?

oskidunker

Would you do a cruise if masks are required?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise if masks required inside the ship?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/21/2022 at 08:00 AM

11 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Not cruising right now, cancelled for April 2022, but if we were, we would wear a mask, whether required or not, just makes us feel more comfortable when close to others.  

Sorry to hear you canceled, we have 2 B2B cruises in Europe in August and unless they are canceled only death will keep us off the ships. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Once again you are the voice of reason, cloth masks whether single double or triple layered do not stop the spread of any virus. I know too many who wear a mask only to just feel good without any proof they work. The N95, KN95 or medical grade surgical masks are what you will see 95% of the time on healthcare workers which should tell us what really works. When my father was in a rehab hospital in November 2020, the only masks I was allowed to wear to visit him were KN95, which told me which ones to wear.

I buy these from Amazon , 20 masks £9.99

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Sorry to hear you canceled, we have 2 B2B cruises in Europe in August and unless they are canceled only death will keep us off the ships. 

Thanks, just FYI though, we did not cancel because of this current wave of COVID, we cancelled several months ago because we plan to do a multiple BBBB in Oct. 2023.  That said, I don't honestly know though if we did have April still scheduled if we'd go.  I hope you enjoy the cruises you have scheduled, time to enjoy a well earned retirement! 

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Thanks, just FYI though, we did not cancel because of this current wave of COVID, we cancelled several months ago because we plan to do a multiple BBBB in Oct. 2023.  That said, I don't honestly know though if we did have April still scheduled if we'd go.  I hope you enjoy the cruises you have scheduled, time to enjoy a well-earned retirement! 

I believe you are on part of that 52-night cruise from Rome to Sydney in 2023, we are doing a B2B March and April 2024 from Sydney and want to book the Sydney to Hawaii segment afterwards on the Edge for a B2B2B cruise. We are using the funds we didn't spend the last two years for upgraded suites on the 8 cruises we have booked in the next 3 years.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

I ignore it because everyone is vaccinated and tested before getting on a cruise so to me this is a safe as you can expect. What does not make sense is is it ok to go to a resort in Florida without wearing a mask, without being vaccinated or tested? Nothing about going to a football game with 60.000 to 100,000 screaming no one wearing a mask. No, I think it is easy for them to say no cruising and it just makes no sense.

Like you we live in Florida.

Our decision whether or not to cruise was based on the following:

Do we staycation at home in Florida surrounded by local residents, snowbirds and tourists who refused to be vaccinated, wear masks  or socially distance or do we chose an environment in which all will be vaccinated (long enough cruise at a time when children will not be on board), pretested for Covid 19, and masks are required?

A cruise wins hands down.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Do we staycation at home in Florida surrounded by local residents, snowbirds and tourists who refused to be vaccinated, wear masks  or socially distance or do we chose an environment in which all will be vaccinated (long enough cruise at a time when children will not be on board), pretested for Covid 19, and masks are required?

Good decision, a cruise wins with us too, in August on the Equinox, I felt safer than going to our local grocery stores and restaurants, and masks were not required in August on the cruise,

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I believe you are on part of that 52-night cruise from Rome to Sydney in 2023, we are doing a B2B March and April 2024 from Sydney and want to book the Sydney to Hawaii segment afterwards on the Edge for a B2B2B cruise. We are using the funds we didn't spend the last two years for upgraded suites on the 8 cruises we have booked in the next 3 years.

Yes, we are doing the entire cruise.  Like you, using much of what we would have spent these past two years to celebrate my upcoming retirement.  We are doing a land vacation in June this year, to Italy we hope.  Got the hotels all booked, with no cancel penalty within 48 hours if needed.  Certainly hoping that by summer we can venture out with minimal restrictions in Europe.

50 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Yes, we are doing the entire cruise.  Like you, using much of what we would have spent these past two years to celebrate my upcoming retirement.  We are doing a land vacation in June this year, to Italy we hope.  Got the hotels all booked, with no cancel penalty within 48 hours if needed.  Certainly hoping that by summer we can venture out with minimal restrictions in Europe.

We did a land vacation in late September to Niagara Falls and had a great time, even with mask and vaccine restrictions in Canada. In June we are taking our son's family to St Thomas for a week in a beach side condo for our other land trip. If our September cruises go, we have a total of 34 days on land and at sea for the whole month. Enjoy your land trip to Italy, in 2018 we did a 14-day Perillo land tour of Southern Italy and Sicily, and it was a fabulous trip.

I see much debate about how a N-95 is better than a KN-95 but realistically they are almost identical.  The main difference is N95 are U.S. Standard and KN95 are China Standard.    Of note is that China also requires a flow rate measurement while the U.S. Standard is silent on this.   There are also equivalent standards for other countries.

From 3-M Website - that manufactures the N-95

image.thumb.png.694eb3cdf8519fd18f28f3154f77c9b2.png

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:13 AM, Homosassa said:

Are people who live in an area like yourself more likely to bring COVID onto the ship compared to someone who lives in a place with strict mask regulations and high vaccination rates?

32 minutes ago, jacob22 said:

Are people who live in an area like yourself more likely to bring COVID onto the ship compared to someone who lives in a place with strict mask regulations and high vaccination rates?

One would expect that the higher the incidence rate is in the population, the greater the chance that a case will slip through pre-cruise testing and onto the ship.  So number of cases per thousand is more of a measure than the local protocol.  After all number of cases peak and ebb at different states at different times. Local protocols may impact the height of the peak and the speed of the rise, but it all depends upon cases at a given point in time.

I just canceled our March cruise and rebooked for November. Under no circumstances I would wear a mask on a cruise ship. The only once working are the 95 or FFP2 kind, for guys even clean shaven otherwise they do NOTHING for a Virus. That sad, if somebody feels safe with some cloth over their face, do it. Honestly I am not willed to pay thousands of $ to be restricted on my vacation. This Virus will not go away...we have to start living with it. I had Covid 2 times and I am 2 times vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are undecided whether we would cruise if masks were required indoors on the ship. As I know of no cruise line that does not have this requirement, the only choice is to cruise masked or don’t cruise.What gives us pause more than masks are problems of unreliable air, lack of distancing on planes and in airports, terminals, and such, and the unreliability of access to ports. Even though we have learned to live with various masking requirements  in our mountain resort area, booking a cruise is a crap shoot due to these other problem areas.

A couple weeks ago we got off 40 days on 3 sailings on Azamara and NCL in Europe and a crossing.  Literally, in those 40 days when we were inside on the ships, except when actively eating and drinking or in our cabin, we wore masks (KN95 and KF94).  That includes twice a day on cardiac equipment in the gym. We haven't spent any time on a pool deck in like 50 sailings, so that wasn't an issue (besides, most of the time it would have been way too cold).

For us, we can't believe this is even a discussion.  Really.  Although our next sailings aren't until May and June, we've got lots of other travel booked that will require masks (Hawai'i and land tours).  So thankful to be able to travelling again after 18 months (and 19 cancelled trips) that wearing something that is only psychologically intrusive (if that) wouldn't stop us.  Ever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

I certainly agree with that.  I wear a KN95 mask in what I consider to be high risk situations, and a surgical grade mask is areas that I consider to be lower risk.  An example is KN95 while walking through airport and getting on plane.  Switch to surgical once plane takes off and ventilation system is fully functional.  Switch back to KN95 when landing.

I wear the KN95 on my flight prior to my cruise/vacation just to be sure, and a surgical mask on the flight home. 😀

5 hours ago, jacob22 said:

The following is only my opinion:

I believe the likelihood of someone bringing Covid onto a ship depends on the person and perhaps on the norm for the area in which they live.

Someone who is vaccinated and boosted and follows the recommendations for masking and social distancing would probably not be the one bringing Covid on the ship. 

My husband and I are very aware of the local situation, are vaccinated and boosted , and mask up while out and about (even outdoors when we are going to be around strangers) and practice social distancing.

We are highly unlikely to walk on ship with Covid.

Someone else who decides to live "without fear" (no masks or other precautions other than vaccination), will likely be the one with bringing Covid on board the ship.

For someone who lives where high vaccination rates and masking is the norm can also be the one that brings Covid on the ship as they leave their safe bubble of home standards and travel to an area where  prevention is not the norm.

Unless they are aware and stringently mask (inside and out), practice social distancing, do not eat indoors in restaurants or otherwise enjoy the departure city before boarding as they would in their home bubble, will be the ones testing positive within the first few days of the cruise.

Of course, those that travel with with unvaccinated children are probably one of the biggest threat to all on board. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The following is only my opinion:

I believe the likelihood of someone bringing Covid onto a ship depends on the person and perhaps on the norm for the area in which they live.

Someone who is vaccinated and boosted and follows the recommendations for masking and social distancing would probably not be the one bringing Covid on the ship. 

My husband and I are very aware of the local situation, are vaccinated and boosted , and mask up while out and about (even outdoors when we are going to be around strangers) and practice social distancing.

We are highly unlikely to walk on ship with Covid.

Someone else who decides to live "without fear" (no masks or other precautions other than vaccination), will likely be the one with bringing Covid on board the ship.

For someone who lives where high vaccination rates and masking is the norm can also be the one that brings Covid on the ship as they leave their safe bubble of home standards and travel to an area where  prevention is not the norm.

Unless they are aware and stringently mask (inside and out), practice social distancing, do not eat indoors in restaurants or otherwise enjoy the departure city before boarding as they would in their home bubble, will be the ones testing positive within the first few days of the cruise.

Of course, those that travel with with unvaccinated children are probably one of the biggest threat to all on board. 

Someone who decides to live "without fear"? Based on the conversations with people I know who are vaccinated, that encompasses the vast majority of them. For those who are vaccinated and without comorbidities, there is no reason for fear, no reason to mask, no reason to avoid pre-covid normalcy.  

I think covid can enter the ship from almost anyone. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nocl said:

One would expect that the higher the incidence rate is in the population, the greater the chance that a case will slip through pre-cruise testing and onto the ship.  So number of cases per thousand is more of a measure than the local protocol.  After all number of cases peak and ebb at different states at different times. Local protocols may impact the height of the peak and the speed of the rise, but it all depends upon cases at a given point in time.

Rosetta Stone may have me interested…..

Edited by bucfan2

We cruised in November on RCL Jewel. Masks were required indoors. We're booked on Apex 2/12, and if they don't cancel it, we'll be onboard. Hubby retired just before the pandemic, and we've lost two years of travel. We're vaxxed and boosted, will wear masks as needed, but we are going to restart our retirement dreams to the degree that we can!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jacob22 said:

We live in Florida. We are fully vaxxed and boosted, and still do social distancing. We don't eat out, we do mostly grocery pickup, and mask when we do need to go out. Our whole family is vaxxed, and we still did day-of at home testing for everyone before out Christmas and Thanksgiving get-togethers.

Not all Floridians are partying like its 1999.

Going on a cruise where we know that everyone is vaxxed and tested is a relief, compared to day-to-day life in the sunshine state.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

We live in Florida. We are fully vaxxed and boosted, and still do social distancing. We don't eat out, we do mostly grocery pickup, and mask when we do need to go out. Our whole family is vaxxed, and we still did day-of at home testing for everyone before out Christmas and Thanksgiving get-togethers.

Not all Floridians are partying like its 1999.

Going on a cruise where we know that everyone is vaxxed and tested is a relief, compared to day-to-day life in the sunshine state.

Yes, some of us understand science and public health measures.

Unfortunately, we are in the minority.

We went on our first cruise in two years  last month (Dec 2021) on Royal and had to wear masks inside. You could take them off while eating, drinking and around the pool.  I'm not a fan of masks but it was no big deal. Got used to it pretty quickly and did nothing to spoil our cruise.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

We live in Florida. We are fully vaxxed and boosted, and still do social distancing. We don't eat out, Not all Floridians are partying like its 1999.

I think folks who let their guard down after flying into FLA for a cruise by going to local restaurants and shopping can perhaps make them vulnerable to covid.   Those who live near the port and can isolate until they arrive at the ship have an advantage over folks flying.  

That is why my only cruise in 2021 in November was a ship I could drive to - Bayonne NJ.  I felt I had a good chance of staying ok from covid.