Mask policy not strictly enforced?

dleahy4444

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

They are triple layer, not double, according to the tag in the package.

I believe you. But when I go pull on the two sides of the 8 masks we have in the other room from our various cruises, it sure feels like only 2 layers. The blue or gray outside layer and a cotton liner on the inside. But, maybe the cotton liner is made in such a way as there are actually 2 cotton layers stitched together as the tag you referenced suggests. 

19 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I believe you. But when I go pull on the two sides of the 8 masks we have in the other room from our various cruises, it sure feels like only 2 layers. The blue or gray outside layer and a cotton liner on the inside. But, maybe the cotton liner is made in such a way as there are actually 2 cotton layers stitched together as the tag you referenced suggests. 

It is only two layers of fabric. The fact that it is the pleated design allows them to claim you are breathing through more layers.  

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

This is why Celebrity needs to specify which masks are acceptable for their mask mandate- and which are not.  Or what is the point of requiring masks?  My guess is that if the CDC gets around to releasing their updated mask guidance for Omicron (N95 or KN95) and actually states that cloth masks are pretty ineffective, this will give the cruise lines some cover to be more specific on their mask policy.

I would agree with that.

Everything has now become voluntary now. Cruise lines can choose what they want to to do. They will receive a rating, but that's for public information to help the public in making decisions..

So...they are more likely to have to explain their reasons for taking the precautions they do.

I am NOT in favor of bringing back any self-serve options for onboard dining at all.

Some of the most disgusting things I have ever witnessed are with self-serve. And.....don't even attempt to tell me that people have suddenly gotten smarter, more considerate, or self-aware.  They have not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I believe that the tag indicates a third layer as posted above 

There is no third layer unless the first two are actually fused together and still count as a double layer. I do not count it as such.  You can only separate two layers, and it hardly matters as the poly/spandex layer(s) have holes that are so large that its practically non-existant as a barrier. 

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This is why Celebrity needs to specify which masks are acceptable for their mask mandate- and which are not.  Or what is the point of requiring masks?  My guess is that if the CDC gets around to releasing their updated mask guidance for Omicron (N95 or KN95) and actually states that cloth masks are pretty ineffective, this will give the cruise lines some cover to be more specific on their mask policy.

Actually, they already have. It's sitting on your cabin desktop when you board the ship. If they didn't think they were safe, they wouldn't be providing them. Now, if someone what's to wear a more protective mask (N95 or KN95), that's fine too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

My bet would be that Celebrity's next move re: masks, whenever it may be, will be to loosen the mandate, not restrict it further.

41 minutes ago, RichYak said:

My bet would be that Celebrity's next move re: masks, whenever it may be, will be to loosen the mandate, not restrict it further.

Looking fwd to getting back to what is was a couple weeks ago, whenever that may be.

Covid safety aside (My husband and I will be wearing N95 mask while onboard), does anyone else find it unsanitary to be counting on wearing one cloth mask for an entire cruise, even a 4 day?  I think these were fine back when masking wasn't a big issue on the ship, but now I feel they should provide better masks or none at all.   

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Julma said:

now I feel they should provide better masks or none at all.   

Maybe treat it as 'none provided' if you aren't content w/ what's given for free?  I think it's awesome they offer anything for no charge.  Plenty for sale on line if you feel the need for so-called better masks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, they already have. It's sitting on your cabin desktop when you board the ship. If they didn't think they were safe, they wouldn't be providing them. Now, if someone what's to wear a more protective mask (N95 or KN95), that's fine too.

lol  these masks are imprinted with a logo, like every other chachki. I doubt it has anything to do whatever with the quality of the mask.  No authority has demanded any particular level of mask be used...just that there be one.  Plenty of recommendations, however.  Thie own people double mask because the celebrity on is insufficient. Because they supply it is not an endorsement as to how effective it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julma said:

Covid safety aside (My husband and I will be wearing N95 mask while onboard), does anyone else find it unsanitary to be counting on wearing one cloth mask for an entire cruise, even a 4 day?  I think these were fine back when masking wasn't a big issue on the ship, but now I feel they should provide better masks or none at all.   

utterly disgusting imo...which is why plenty of people use disposables. They shouldn't have to supply anything. You wear underwear don't you... do you expect them to supply that?

3 hours ago, Julma said:

We obtained new mask every third day on our Reflection B2B last month.  We asked our Personal Retreat Host and every third day two new mask appeared.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

oh I doubt it. Ports won't allow them in if there are covid cases on board.  So they have to balance being turned away from ports (and the associated revenue losses) and people wanting to be mask-free. Plenty of complaining from passengers when a port day becomes a sea day (or trip to some undesirable place). Plenty of passengers complaining about wearing masks. Plenty of passengers complaining that they don't like others not masking between bites and sips.  Then again....plenty of passengers complaining that the solarium pool is too cold...or too warm!  Actually, the line of dissatisfied unhappy self-entitled passengers at guest services never seems to get shorter!  (and not even to mention the passengers who can't read or understand what they've been given to read. in their native language)  It's pretty funny if you consider the big picture.

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We obtained new mask every third day on our Reflection B2B last month.  We asked our Personal Retreat Host and every third day two new mask appeared.  

So special. I guess that's a new perk for suites! We're lower on the feeding chain.

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

So special. I guess that's a new perk for suites! We're lower on the feeding chain.

Did you ask?  

We wore our mask in public spaces and when we went ashore to walk around the port area.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

lol  these masks are imprinted with a logo, like every other chachki. I doubt it has anything to do whatever with the quality of the mask.  No authority has demanded any particular level of mask be used...just that there be one.  Plenty of recommendations, however.  Thie own people double mask because the celebrity on is insufficient. Because they supply it is not an endorsement as to how effective it is.

As far away as we stay from people when we're on a cruise, the Celebrity mask has worked just fine for us since we first started cruising again back in August. But, please, if someone feels they need more protection, they should definitely bring the higher quality N95/KN95 masks with them.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

As far away as we stay from people when we're on a cruise, the Celebrity mask has worked just fine for us since we first started cruising again back in August. But, please, if someone feels they need more protection, they should definitely bring the higher quality N95/KN95 masks with them.

Totally agree. I just think we should put what you get in perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

oh I doubt it. Ports won't allow them in if there are covid cases on board.  So they have to balance being turned away from ports (and the associated revenue losses) and people wanting to be mask-free. Plenty of complaining from passengers when a port day becomes a sea day (or trip to some undesirable place). Plenty of passengers complaining about wearing masks. Plenty of passengers complaining that they don't like others not masking between bites and sips.  Then again....plenty of passengers complaining that the solarium pool is too cold...or too warm!  Actually, the line of dissatisfied unhappy self-entitled passengers at guest services never seems to get shorter!  (and not even to mention the passengers who can't read or understand what they've been given to read. in their native language)  It's pretty funny if you consider the big picture.

Locally masks are required in any business in our county.  To attend an Arizona basketball game a KN95 or N95 mask is required.

Don't care to debate the effectiveness of most masks, the spread of disease speaks for itself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Locally masks are required in any business in our county.  To attend an Arizona basketball game a KN95 or N95 mask is required.

Don't care to debate the effectiveness of most masks, the spread of disease speaks for itself.

Arizona should be congratulated on its policies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2