Mask policy not strictly enforced?

dleahy4444

3 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

There were two in my cabin but I didn’t open the package. Sadly they’re no packed in my bag so I can’t check.  I doubt they’re kN95 but the employees were all wearing those.  

No the package mask is a fabric Celebrity. Workers are double masking. N95 and a cloth Celebrity over top.  At least on the Apex. 

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Good point.   Some cruisers are thinking like adolescents.  Remember the "invincibility fable"?  

I got to over 70.  With the stuff I did when young either I must have been invincible or be dang lucky.

Have felt achey and tired for the last couple days.  Will stay home till the end of the week.  Long lines for testing don't make sense to me  now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

...  Long lines for testing don't make sense to me  now.

At the local walk-in/emergency place (been there a few times), the line can be 20-30+ deep. If you didn't have COVID when you came, the local positivity rate is over 30%, you've probably just been exposed!

Tom

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I live in Florida (nuff said? lol). At Planet Fitness they only had a sign on the door for a couple of months (early/mid 2020) regarding masks. Apparently most people can't read... Even though we're in a heck of a surge, it would seem that most gym goers here feel that they're "fit enough" to either not catch COVID or fight it off. The place is more concerned about wiping down equipment before and after each use (with their unknown liquid substance) than the air we breathe.

Enforcement is exceptionally rare - in most any place, as we're all too aware of the belligerent in-your-face attitude that might be forthcoming. It's like driving, one needs to be careful, as that guy on your bumper or next to you might have a hot temper.

On the three cruises we've been on (Carnival and Royal) post restart, I never saw mask enforcement... well, once on Royal in the theatre. The most blatant was a guy at the $25 BJ table - no mask, and a profane shirt referencing the vaccine. He had about five grand in front of him. I asked the dealer if masks were required at the table and was told "yes". I then asked if it was enforced.... crickets. We left!

Tom

It is amazing to hear the differences reported here on CC.   I live in California - OK we do hug trees also.    Masks are a way of life and most in our community wear masks anytime outside their home.   Covid Tests are required at restaurants.    

Even on my daily walks people even move to the street to provide social distancing. 

I was just thinking that due to the mask requirements I haven't had a cold or respiratory infection in almost 3 years.    

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is amazing to hear the differences reported here on CC.   I live in California - OK we do hug trees also.    Masks are a way of life and most in our community wear masks anytime outside their home.   Covid Tests are required at restaurants.    

Even on my daily walks people even move to the street to provide social distancing. 

I was just thinking that due to the mask requirements I haven't had a cold or respiratory infection in almost 3 years.    

Same thing my last cold or URI was after coming off a Panama canal cruise in Jan 2020.  Nothing at all since we started wearing masks for Covid.  Even with having gone on several trips involving long flights and waits in airports, as well as a cruises.  Not even a sniffle.

Before that would get something a couple of times a year when traveling

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Sorry, I’m not sure you understand what I’m prepared to do on the first cruise to remain negative- not masking quite as obsessively the second cruise, is more like returning to baseline for most people. I’m well aware of the dangers of spreading Covid and the measures needed to prevent spread.

I am not, however, very concerned about getting it myself, although quarantine on the second leg would not be my first choice, for sure!

Thanks to you and everyone for their kind words and thoughts for my daughter and family. Her biggest problem is being at home with hubby and 3 littles, 5 years old and younger - each in varying states of illness. Nana and granddad can’t bail them out this time either, even if we weren’t going on a cruise.

I tried to do a little quick research, I like saunas and hot tubs too! Interestingly, and not surprising, health authorities in Alaska and Canada have some guidelines and some research has been done in Finland. Heating spaces to 160 F seems to kill the virus. Dry saunas are better than wet areas, mostly because it is warmer in dry. High relative humidity has unclear effect, the research is kind of murky and conflicting. Good air circulation seems to be the key to safety in wet areas, virus should clear out in 20-30 minutes. So all the typical precautions, wear a mask, get in the tub or sauna when it is empty or only with your pod, might be good to be first one in the early morning. Wash hands or sanitize or both after touching all those foreign surfaces.

if I had a spa pass and knew I wanted to spend a good bit of time in the spa, I would talk with someone about cleaning practices, particularly whether areas ever got up to that 160 temp.

Thank you! I really appreciate your research, advice, and insights. I will be sure to ask at the spa desk about the temperatures for the sauna, steam rooms, and hot tubs (hot tubs not in the Persian Gardens spa area).

6 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

For those who have been on board since the mask mandate…what is the spa situation…do you have to wear them during a massage and are they still doing facials? 

I was on the Jan 3-9th Equinox sailing.  Had several treatments - manicure, pedicure, shampoo/blowdry and massage/facial.  All were masked except facial and portion of massage when laying on my stomach.  

On 1/10/2022 at 12:29 AM, TourDeCruise said:

Has Celebrity been providing masks in the cabins on recent cruises? If provided in the cabin, how many and are they cloth or N95/KN95 masks? We were on the Apex b2b in November and no masks were provided in the cabin but they were handing out flimsy compliance masks when getting off in ports if the guests needed them.

cloth masks with celebrity logo. Many staff on Equinox over the holiday were double maksed with a surgical mask underneath,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

cloth masks with celebrity logo. Many staff on Equinox over the holiday were double maksed with a surgical mask underneath,

Do you know if the Celebrity cloth masks have an open pocket to insert a KN95 filter? I heard the staff/crew are now wearing KN95 masks with the Celebrity mask over them.

1 hour ago, TourDeCruise said:

Do you know if the Celebrity cloth masks have an open pocket to insert a KN95 filter? I heard the staff/crew are now wearing KN95 masks with the Celebrity mask over them.

We received four of the Celebrity cloth masks, and there is no open pocket to insert an additional filter.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 1:58 PM, TourDeCruise said:

no, they don't have a pocket. It's the pleated style. it's also cotteon inside, but polyester outside. Very hard to breathe and sweaty.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2022 at 8:26 PM, cangelmd said:

Oh and, I likely won’t be masking as extensively on my second cruise s on the first, I’m triple vax Ed and in reasonably good health.

I have just been diagnosed with a breakthrough case. I have been double vaccinated and boosted for months.  I am now at home and have been miserably sick for over 10 days.  This is not going to prevent me from traveling when well, however, if anyone thinks that you get a pass because you are vaccinated....you are very simply wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I have just been diagnosed with a breakthrough case. I have been double vaccinated and boosted for months.  I am now at home and have been miserably sick for over 10 days.  This is not going to prevent me from traveling when well, however, if anyone thinks that you get a pass because you are vaccinated....you are very simply wrong.

Huh!

38 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

First of all, fell better! Sending good wishes! I know a number of people with breakthrough infections and it does run a gamut from barely sniffles to significant, but not life-threatening infections, no one I know personally has been hospitalized. 
I notice you say for months, I think when there has been time to compile data, it is likely that time since booster may well correlate with severity of symptoms. It’s also likely that some people, not necessarily in your case, but some people will get secondary infections, particularly sinus infections, just as happens after other upper respiratory viral illness, that prolongs the misery. 
Take care of yourself, better days are coming.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 8:33 AM, cruisestitch said:

Not this cruise…maybe others but not Sillhouette 4 January departure

We departed 1/9 on Edge and can tell you we did not receive an email stating masks required. We did notice a few days before leaving home that the Celebrity app guidance had changed to reflect that masks would be required, but it was a subtle change in one paragraph that we would not have noticed if we hadnt been following these boards. We are 100% okay with the mask required rule and in fact prefer it but I can attest that we did not receive any advanced warning and can understand OPs who were upset to learn about it only when they showed up at the dock.

We are sailing 1/19 on the Reflection. While we get at least one, sometimes two marketing emails a day from Celebrity, not a word about mask protocols on our sailing. 

I know it is mentioned on the website and the app, but if Celebrity is truly serious about this, surely they can send an email.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:26 AM, Wanderlost said:

We are also on the Millennium and notice way too many people without masks. Officers and staff just ignore it. 

I think folks thought of celebrity as being the one cruiseline that did not make ya wear a mask.

Now they do and I guess some folks are bulking.

To me a rule is a rule is a rule.  Just do it.  It's what we ask children to do.   Ya know the answer is "Because I said so"........   goes for adults too.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

We've always had packaged double-clothed masks with the Celebrity logo in our cabin with a bottle of sanitizer on the cruises we've been on since August.

They are triple layer, not double, according to the tag in the package.

• Thanks 1