I THINK WE ARE CANCELING OUR CRUISE!!

mlang

1 hour ago, binro01 said:

For the price we paid for this cruise, 1020..for 6 nights in the Caribbean in an ocean view balcony, at 170 per day, the bar the cruise line needs to meet is 3 meals at McDonald’s and a night at the Holiday Inn Express off an interstate. That’s what 170 gets you per day. (A pretty low bar if you ask me) So, missing ports, or any entertainment… who cares. That’s my own assessment. I can’t get a room with that kind of view for less than 200 a night. And I will still need to feed myself. The value we will receive will be there for us to cruise. Others might have different assessments.

Can't beat that plus you have a chance of getting a cabin all to yourself.........can't beat that with a stick, that's living !

23 minutes ago, Carver1998 said:

It seems for most people the thought of being isolated in less than desirable accommodations away from your friends and loved ones is the predominant concern. You can catch Covid at the supermarket. But hopefully you will be sleeping in your bed that night

We know we an get Covid at the supermarket. The big difference is, we don't want to be quarantined and miss out on a vacation that we are spending thousands of dollars to be enjoying. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, margaritadenise said:

Just yesterday, we cancelled our cruise out of Barbados and switched to a summer sailing out of Baltimore on the Enchantment of the Seas.  Hopefully less COVID and no fear of testing + coming off the ship and getting stuck in quarantine in a foreign country.  Upside is we're booked in a Junior Suite for the first time!  Can't wait to set sail!

Congrats !

I've got an Allure 8 nighter sailing on Jan. 22 and looking forward.  Got a great price for a solo CP cabin.  But most of all, I've got to get away from this frigid & crappy weather in NJ.  Also, don't want to miss the 4X C&A points.😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

Looking at this from a different angle.... there are also people still cruising who feel the same way about quarantining who aren't symptoms to medical just to avoid getting quarantined.

I think my concern is bring forced to quarantine because of being identified as a contact. I'm sure there are many who aren't reporting for fear of isolation. My fear is being isolated because I sat by someone who has it.

• Like 4

Just cancelled our Allure cruise for 1/30 and moved it to Oasis 1/29 next year. Not scared of catching COVID cause I know we’d both be fine. However, we have to fly to Florida to catch the ship and I don’t want to be forced to quarantine in my room or locked in some hotel down in Florida, not allowed to fly home, if I test positive on the ship (even if not sick).  Also not a fan of wearing a mask while it’s hot and humid. I’d rather enjoy my vacation without worry. Still plan on going on our Bermuda cruise in June (will drive to Cape Liberty for that) so if this is all still going on at least we can get home. 

Again, not worried about cruising…just worried about being able to get home afterward. 

• Like 5

Our first ever cruise is coming up on Jan 20, on Enchantment.  We are driving to the port from Ontario, Canada.  Have we thought about canceling?  Absolutely.  Sometimes almost daily actually.  We have traveled internationally twice during the pandemic (Las Vegas and Mexico) and both of those trips involved flights and the potential of quarantine.  We took the chance on both of those trips and had no issues.  With the cruise we are driving, and should we test positive we can return home and quarantine at home.  Of course if we test positive while on the ship we will have to quarantine there.  Not great, but it is what it is.  Thus far on Enchantment they have not canceled shows or entertainment so we appear to be OK on that front.  I 100% understand those that have canceled.  For us we have weighed out the pros and cons and have decided to go.  We will see how wise that is.

• Like 2

I figured with all of the cancellations being talked about, I went and did a mock booking of my January 22 Allure sail, and the damn cruise is higher by $400.  Go figure.

Also, has RCL instituted a vaccine mandate for those in the age group of 5-11 years old. 

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Not planning on it I guess worst case they could turnaround on turnpike.  Let's hope they dont have to

.Are you at the port yet? There are reports there is one long line there now, but the line seems to be moving now. Line is outside the building, so wear a warm coat

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Our next cruise might be on February 5, so we have the agonizing to look forward to all over again.  Hope it will be an easier decision the second time around.  We will be watching carefully for the next three weeks and will address it then.  Rebooking that cruise will cost an additional 30-40%, so that might make it easier to decide (paid too much already to settle for a lesser experience vs. hate to pay that much more to rebook).  We have two lifted and shifted four-nighters in March that I am not worried about.  My tolerance for missed ports and entertainment is a lot higher for a shorter period of time and refunds wouldn’t be much, so an easy decision for those two.

The worst scenario is that the cruise lines or CDC could make the decision for us 😢

That's the annoying part.  We have the same cruise booked March and Dec.  Same ship.  We even have the exact same connecting balcony rooms.  Only difference is 8 nights in Dec vs 7.  But pricewise, Dec is literally 2x the cost...almost to the penny (plus cruise planner items more).  As with others, not worried so much about getting covid itself.  The only port we care about is CoCo Cay.  But will be disappointed if shows are a no-go, especially the main two.  However, the biggest thing for us is getting quarantined, whether it is due to getting covid, or as a close contact so locked in the stateroom until a negative test is confirmed.  So if we cancel March, it's due to the potential quarantine.  (Note:  We would drive for this cruise so at least we can get home - so worry is on the ship itself)

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

That's the annoying part.  We have the same cruise booked March and Dec.  Same ship.  We even have the exact same connecting balcony rooms.  Only difference is 8 nights in Dec vs 7.  But pricewise, Dec is literally 2x the cost...almost to the penny (plus cruise planner items more).  As with others, not worried so much about getting covid itself.  The only port we care about is CoCo Cay.  But will be disappointed if shows are a no-go, especially the main two.  However, the biggest thing for us is getting quarantined, whether it is due to getting covid, or as a close contact so locked in the stateroom until a negative test is confirmed.  So if we cancel March, it's due to the potential quarantine.  (Note:  We would drive for this cruise so at least we can get home - so worry is on the ship itself)

I can’t wait to see how we will look at the 40% increase when it is time to make a decision.  We could say we paid too much for the cruise to take a chance on a lesser experience,  let’s cancel.  Or we could say that is way too much money to rebook, I’m sure we will enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile, let’s cruise.  I suspect we will have both those thoughts, alternating positions several times daily, just like last week!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I can’t wait to see how we will look at the 40% increase when it is time to make a decision.  We could say we paid too much for the cruise to take a chance on a lesser experience,  let’s cancel.  Or we could say that is way too much money to rebook, I’m sure we will enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile, let’s cruise.  I suspect we will have both those thoughts, alternating positions several times daily, just like last week!  

For this past Dec cruise, we literally changed our minds whether to go or cancel every couple hours leading up to the cruise.  So I know exactly what you mean.  We decided to go, and at that point, I stopped watching the news.  Unfortunately, we didn't make it due to a covid exposure in our son's class (but he was negative).  

I will say that Royal is great in that they require the negative test, but will refund you 100% if positive.  This helps if you want to wait and see if things improve.  We have a Disney World trip planned for the summer and I'm questioning, what if we test positive.  We will lose all our money.

• Like 1

My husband and I just went through having Covid.  We are both fully vaccinated and boosted. My brother "gifted" us with this when he showed up Christmas Eve sick without getting tested (we didn't know he was sick as he wasn't coughing/sneezing).  My husband tested positive Dec. 27th.  I was still negative - but then tested positive the 29th.  He tested negative and no longer has symptoms after 11 days.  I still have sinus issues (and my doctor said that could drag out), but tested negative yesterday.  We're both 65.  It hit me more than him.  I have asthma and had lung congestion the first week (albuterol nebulizer treatments helped clear that).  I'm also on prednisone.  My sinus congestion feels like it won't end!   We had been on the fence about cancelling our March cruise on Oasis.  However, now that we've had recent Covid - we know we'll have pretty good immunity in early March.  So we don't plan on cancelling.  Now we're hoping our cruise isn't cancelled.  The poster on here that was on the 1/2 Oasis cruise said the captain told them 3% of those on board tested positive - 1% passengers and 2% crew.  That's up from a total of 1% the prior week's cruise.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mlang said:

We are booked Anthem Jan. 31, but will probably cancel because of Covid.  It just doesn't feel safe to go. Anyone else ,canceling?

One way to look at it is you are probably safer on a cruise ship as everyone has been vaccinated and tested no earlier than 2 days before boarding, you can't say that about anywhere else like at the grocery store or at a restaurant or school. We sailed twice, once 2 days after Thanksgiving and again for a Christmas cruise and everything was fine but Omicron was just showing up after that cruise so to tell you the truth, I would have a hard time deciding whether to cruise right now. If you are vaccinated and come down with Omicron, it will be like having a cold but you will be quarantined and who wants that.

Edited by MISTER 67

14 minutes ago, Whatsthedillio said:

I will not live in fear of a virus that is harmless in healthy, vaccinated people.  Infection in the upper respiratory system doesn't matter.  Please though, keep cancelling your cruises so I keep getting great deals.  Just please stop posting your negative, uninformed propaganda.

You can keep going on and on, but you do not get it.  It is not fear of the virus that is causing a lot of cancellations, it is the possible quarantining on the ship and/or in a foreign country until you meet whatever the criteria of the day they are enforcing that would allow you to fly home.  Many people have jobs and other responsibilities that do not allow them to be away for weeks on end.

• Like 11

Booked for Anthem Jan 31 - we are planning on going - considering we can drive to the port it makes it easier to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.

I hope that this covid serge has peaked and the cases start to go down in the next 2 wks.

Everyone in my house had covid a few weeks ago and we had head cold symptoms (healthy now).

9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You can keep going on and on, but you do not get it.  It is not fear of the virus that is causing a lot of cancellations, it is the possible quarantining on the ship and/or in a foreign country until you meet whatever the criteria of the day they are enforcing that would allow you to fly home.  Many people have jobs and other responsibilities that do not allow them to be away for weeks on end.

I get that part.. that's not what the other dude was rambling about.  

It would suck to miss ports, not have entertainment, etc.  Am I worried about safety though?  Not in the least.