Help From Previous Alaska Cruisers Needed

llarsen

6 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Balcony fan here.  We saw TONS of wildlife from our balcony, so much so we cancelled our final planned excursion and saved the money.  For us, the main attraction of Alaska is the scenery and wildlife, and we saw so much more by having our balcony than having to traipse up to the open decks.  I know there will be the 'but you see 360 degrees' crowd that advocate against the balcony, but for us the convenience of having our own private space any time day or night was worth it.  The day we were in Glacier Bay we did go up to the open decks after hearing so much about the 'vast views', but after a short time we went back to the privacy and quiet of our balcony.  We could hear the ice popping in the water and see sea animals up close, vs the open decks where all we could hear were people talking.  From our room we could easily hear the ranger narration, and had the binoculars handy when he announced a grizzly bear sighting.  Throughout the voyage we saw many whales, eagles, seals, and other marine life.  Weather was not an issue for us either and we took way more layers, jackets, gloves, etc than we needed.  

Enjoy your trip no matter what you decide to do 🙂

Edit to add that in this age of covid I would encourage the balcony to avoid the crowds as well.  Too many people pressed together on the open deck railing vs your own private space.

You have covered my thoughts on the balcony.  I Ioved having my own uncrowded space for the scenery. If I got cold I could come in for a bit and watch out the window. I did walk the deck a bit on Glacier Bay day but I used my balcony alot. It helped that we had great weather when we were there in early September.  

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2

@llarsen We’ve sailed to Alaska twice. Our first trip was the end of September in 2007. I wouldn’t go at the end of September as the weather was very bad, seas were rough and we missed one port because of the weather.

Our second trip was in 2021….August 29 - September 5. I would go in August/early September again as we had 2 great days of sunny, blue sky weather in Juneau and Skagway. Our sailing in Glacier Bay was cold and drizzly. Our day in Ketchikan it rained all day (but wasn’t cold to me). I had a lightweight down jacket on and a plastic poncho over it and I was very comfortable.

We did a shore excursion in Ketchikan called Black Bear, Wildlife & Nature Walk. I would highly recommend it for seeing bears! We saw so many bears on the shore excursion that I lost count, but I do remember there were 4 baby bears. Our guides said it was actually good that it was raining as the bears are more active when it rains. They said if it had been sunny we wouldn’t have seen as many bears as we did. Evidently they really like the rain. Attached are a couple videos and photos from the excursion, and yes we really were that close on the viewing platform. It was one of the best shore excursions we’ve ever done and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

7843BB3D-B850-4261-899A-14C0ABB2D60E.thumb.jpeg.21bcc57b1ec13ce8743e15d89f5652a4.jpegE8C67BE9-7870-4AD0-8134-263642ACC8EE.thumb.jpeg.1d6a3c807069f09406fc2c6af1c35679.jpegBF218A1E-AECA-4723-B39E-93E12EBC8E95.thumb.jpeg.0333cb982704e41d883959d56b8fc8bb.jpegAD4ADD10-0044-40BF-BD2C-6AF33AB6E4D9.thumb.jpeg.6aa64fff809478c52708aa06fae8a2ca.jpeg8882CFD2-0113-49F2-97CB-0F51CC86CD3E.thumb.jpeg.572bdeff5de09177699c096458f08d32.jpegF6FADB9F-9664-4A1C-AB81-735F32937E54.thumb.jpeg.2d72ce2ace11f94f1477a58fc4e38f93.jpeg

• Like 1

I chose the 8/28/22 cruise because after some research, it is the highest probability of seeing the aurora borealis. Never been there myself, this is my retirement bucket list cruise and the northern lights have been right up there as well   🤣

We have cruised in September 2017 when the weather was good but all our flight excursions got cancelled. We were able to see a faint Northern Lights one night so that was nice. We were also on HAL this July and had reasonable weather. In late July and August the salmon are running and the bears are hunting. We took an independent excursion called Expedition Black Bear out of Ketchikan that was fantastic. We were as close the bears as was KLM3164. 

Bob

• Thanks 2

I'm all about the bears. But having said that, I highly recommend a whale watching tour in Juneau. It is amazing to watch the whales feeding. We also saw a bunch of Bald eagles and other birds. You have a chance of seeing Orca. 

We took a photo tour of the glacier and then the boat trip for the whales. Highly recommend!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

As far as the weather is concerned...there are NO guarantees!  I know that's not what you want to hear.  Our first sailing (August 2019) they were literally having a heat wave.  It was in the mid 70s the whole time.  Even the locals were commenting on how crazy it was. 

Our second sailing was just this past year, and we had some really dreary days with one day it actually drizzling rain.  It wasn't much but it was a stark difference from our first trip.  Still...Alaska is amazing.  At the end of our first trip we knew right away that we would be going back.  

There are 2 main itineraries; Glacier Bay and Endicott Arm.  Most people say that GB is the one to see...we did Endicott Arm (with Dawes Glacier) on the first trip.  There are no words!  You should enjoy either and you may even decide to go back and do the other like we did.  Have a great trip!

The problem w the Endicott Arm based itinerary is that you sometimes don't get in because of icy conditions.  You always get into Glacier Bay.

DON

• Like 1

I would choose my entire cruise based on going to Glacier Bay. It's incredible.  The Park Service only allows so many boats in a season and if your boat gets in they make you stay ONE HOUR at the glacier at the "top" of the bay. So you cruise up this long fjord/channel and then get an hour at the glacier, while it cracks and calves.  It's incredible.  And a balcony is a must because up on deck everyone is talking (of course) and you can't hear the glacier as well.  But on your balcony you can hear every crack and noise - it's wonderful.  It's a private show for you. Don't miss it!

And it's going to rain in Ketchikan.  It's located in a rain forest.  Bring your poncho and waterproof shoes and just go have fun anyway.

BTW, you didn't ask but Harv and Marv is THE must whale watching excursion out of Juneau.  So much better than what the cruise boats offer.

• Like 3

Be sure to visit the Passenger Services desk and ask to be awakened with a phone call if the Northern Lights make an appearance. We did, received a call around 2 AM, and went up on deck to a relatively dark space and got to see them. We could also hear whales surfacing and blowing close to the ship. It was amazing! (This was toward the end of August.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, konatyme said:

Be sure to visit the Passenger Services desk and ask to be awakened with a phone call if the Northern Lights make an appearance.

You will probably have to do this every evening that the lights are a possibility.

• Like 1

I've only been on one Alaska cruise but I did a ton of research on these boards prior to booking. I definitely agree with the recommendation to include Glacier Bay.

Unlike what a few others have said, we spent a lot of time on our balcony and saw tons of wildlife from it.

I also agree that the Grand would be preferable to Discovery, for so many reasons, but the promenade deck and unhindered views from multiple locations would be  two of the most important ones.

I'm from SE Florida and have lived most of my life in the tropics - the trick to Alaska is buying the correct clothes for the trip. A good, warm raincoat with a hood is a must, as is packing lots of layers.

We went at the end of June over the solstice and the weather was unseasonably warm - sunny and 80's most days.We did miss the bears feeding but saw many with their cubs on our land tour.

Hopefully we'll get to go back one day to watch the salmon spawn.  You are so lucky to live so close!

Edited by hllwdcruiser
  • Like 1

If you like the Grand, you should consider the premium OV cabins on Lido. They're not too far forward, so not as much motion, and they're really great especially if the weather's bad. The cabin space is larger, and you get floor to ceiling windows instead of small windows or a balcony. We had one of these once, and I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, konatyme said:

Be sure to visit the Passenger Services desk and ask to be awakened with a phone call if the Northern Lights make an appearance. We did, received a call around 2 AM, and went up on deck to a relatively dark space and got to see them. We could also hear whales surfacing and blowing close to the ship. It was amazing! (This was toward the end of August.)

I'm awake most of the night anyway...I leave the cabin so DW can still sleep....lol

• Like 1

I’ve been to Alaska several times. Loved every single trip. I think you’ve already decided on August and a balcony. Great choices. If you’re only going to Alaska once in your life you must go to Glacier Bay. I agree with a previous post that the Ketchikan Bear Walk excursion is very good for seeing bears. 

• Like 1

I've been on several cruises to Alaska. Last year, I was on the Majestic the last week of August. It rained every day. We never saw the sun. It was a great trip. Last year was wonderful in that the ships got to skip stopping in Victoria. It's a waste of time in my opinion. On my two previous cruises from Seattle, we stayed on the ship there because we had been there before.

A balcony isn't a must for me. I've had one once on an Alaskan cruise when we got a free upgrade. You can spend the money you'll save on excursions.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, muffin said:

Bias admitted. I live on Vancouver Island. Many trips in all months. aug is a great call. My best honest advice is Van/ Van trip in order to go up and back between Vancouver island the the mainland. Spectacular sights and very close to the coasts on both sides often. When you leave from Seattle you go immediately out to sea to go past the west coast of the island which is totally out of sight when you head north.  

I completely agree with this. I've done AK twice, both times one way out of Vancouver and the inside passage is the best. You see so much. The sailaway is beautiful. I have sailed many cruises from many ports and for me Vancouver is my favorite. I've done Alaska in mid June and early Sept. I would never do Sept again. It was too cold and rainy and I live in western Canada where we are used to the cold. Mid June was the best, warm and so much daylight. One last thing, in regards to the salmon running...honestly Ketchikan was like the killing fields in Sept. The fish were all dead and lying along the river. It stunk and was not a pretty scene. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:50 AM, llarsen said:

Questions:

1. Which month would you choose for the best weather while viewing wildlife? August or September (also keeping in mind that one brother wants to see bears catching Salmon)

We have cruised Alaska 4 times and live in the Northwest. The first trip took us to Hubbard Glacier which was FABULOUS! Since then, we have been to Sawyer Glacier, thanks to our diligent and skilled Captain and the time of year... also Glacier Bay once. So far, our favorite has been Hubbard Glacier. So, basically, book an itinerary with a glacier that hopefully will be accessible.

2. Is there much to see from your Balcony to make it worth the cost of it, verses an Inside Cabin? (only a few Ocean View left on some sailings) We are balcony people. There is nothing better than running out to your balcony in your bathrobe to watch a pod of whales! And hanging out with your early morning coffee or a pre- dinner glass of wine... the best. We had an inside one time out of our 4 Alaska cruises and NEVER again! We booked this inside cabin because it was very last minute, so we could join my sister and BIL. Aft is best with a wide view of possibly 300 degrees.

3. Is there a reason you would choose a different itinerary than this one? For ports, we love Juneau for whale watching with Harv & Marv. Our little boat accommodated our Captain and three couples. AMAZING! This itinerary is on the Majestic and 7 nights. Two glaciers is nice.

Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska | Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), Alaska | Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), Alaska | Skagway, Alaska | Juneau, Alaska | Ketchikan, Alaska | Vancouver, Canada

Thanks so much for any input you can give on helping us select the month to sail on this Alaska cruise! As far as months go, CC people have said that September is riskier as far as weather goes. Of course, there are no guarantees. We have cruised Alaska in July, late August, and twice in September. In September, we experienced 78 degrees in Ketchikan and a mix of weather during each one. AND....... our first time in August, we saw the Northern Lights on August 28, 2000! It would have been my Father's 85th birthday.

Other notes: 1) Truly, you do not need to go to Victoria for Buchart Gardens! The ship may have an excursion there if it stops in Victoria. Truly... we live on the coast in Washington State and it would be very time consuming. Just getting there and back would be at least an 8 hour trip from Seatac and back again.

2) Bring and wear layers! My sister and BIL are from Southern California, and he wore shorts most of the time. We bring a heavy jacket, a hooded water repellent jacket, a hat (I love my Alpaca hat), boots/ athletic shoes, dress shoes, flip flops, sunglasses. This may sound like a lot, but ours packs easily. There are many threads regarding what to pack for Alaska.

I thought my post was gone! Phew! I hope you find this useful and have a fabulous trip!

• Thanks 1

We will be going on our second cruisetour in May for our 20th anniversary. We didn't see bear catching salmon but on our Denali excursion we seen a momma and her 2 Cubs. We just like all the hours of daylight in May. We had a balcony and used it every day. If you have the extra time a cruise tour is the way to go 

• Like 2

I live in the Seattle area and it is easy for us to get to the port and take a cruise.  The ships that leave Seattle travel into open ocean around the west coast of Vancouver Island.  Last September (2021) there were very strong storms off the coast mid Sept.  The Majestic Princess had to stay overnight in Seattle due to wind and high waves - leaving at 6 AM the following morning. Other ships sailing that week had to miss at least one port visit, some missed two.  My own cruise (Celebrity Millennium) requested a course change from the Canadian gov't, and we were allowed to travel thru the Inside Passage (between Vancouver Island and the Mainland) to avoid the storm.  I had forgotten how beautiful the Inside Passage was.    So much so that if any of my east coast family members wanted to take a 'once-in-a-lifetime' cruise to Alaska, I would seriously encourage them to leave out of Vancouver, BC.  It was that beautiful.

Ironically, once that storm passed, our cruise had amazing sunny weather.  We even got lucky and had brilliant sunshine at Icy Strait Point, along with light showers in Ketchikan, and some overnight/morning snow/slush at some port-of-calls, also a very icy deck on the morning of our glacier visit.

You also asked about clothing.  Buy yourself a fleece vest, and maybe a fleece jacket.  You should find good sales this time of year (even buy it a store like Macy's).  Also, a good breathable/wind resistant rain coat, and waterproof walking shoes.

• Like 1

As @Ferry_Watcher mentioned, bring vests! They are your friend. I have several which I purchase from Costco each year when they have new colors!  @Ferry_Watcher I love your screen name. We are your neighbors about 100 miles to the southwest. And true, leaving from Vancouver is great, which is what we hope to do this September. We would go in a different month, but this 12 day itinerary is only once this year.

• Like 1

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

You have given me so much information and (I am taking notes).

We have considered much of your advice and opinions...and have booked the Crown Princess that does Glacier Bay on August 6, 2022.

Much thanks for the beautiful photos too. 

Looking forward to our first Alaska cruise!

• Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 9:55 PM, KruzPrincess said:

I’ve been to Alaska several times. Loved every single trip. I think you’ve already decided on August and a balcony. Great choices. If you’re only going to Alaska once in your life you must go to Glacier Bay. I agree with a previous post that the Ketchikan Bear Walk excursion is very good for seeing bears. 

Thanks! We switched to the Crown which does Glacier Bay and will also be doing the Bear Walk 🙂

• Like 1