Just in case........

Labber 2

Keeping my fingers crossed to board Majestic Princess in March, I plan to make final decision about 2 weeks before. If I decide to take the plunge and go for it I will pack for quarantine just in case. Of course, this will mean the larger luggage will be pulled from storage. I may pack a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, 1 or 2 paint by numbers that roll up quite nicely and download enough movies and netflix series to allow me to binge watch without any guilt. 

Having the advance knowledge that "it" can happen to any of us, despite being as cautious and careful as we can possibly be, best to be prepared to soften the blow should the phone ring in your stateroom with the voice on the other end saying  "you have tested positive".  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if the cruise lines provide free wifi to those who must be put in quarantine.   If not, assuming I didn't have a package,  I might consider shelling out some $$ for wifi access.      

Been a long time since I've been on Princess.  I kind of miss it.   Good luck with the cruise.   

• Thanks 1

I'm a puzzler...be careful about the size of puzzle you take.  If you do in fact get caught up in a quarantine you will not have much luck with a 1000 piece puzzle.  (At least in a "standard" size cabin.)  The only flat surface of any real size is the small coffee table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm a puzzler...be careful about the size of puzzle you take.  If you do in fact get caught up in a quarantine you will not have much luck with a 1000 piece puzzle.  (At least in a "standard" size cabin.)  The only flat surface of any real size is the small coffee table.

Won't be a problem in Europe,  as you don't quarantine on the ship !

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 1:21 AM, Labber 2 said:

Keeping my fingers crossed to board Majestic Princess in March, I plan to make final decision about 2 weeks before. If I decide to take the plunge and go for it I will pack for quarantine just in case. Of course, this will mean the larger luggage will be pulled from storage. I may pack a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, 1 or 2 paint by numbers that roll up quite nicely and download enough movies and netflix series to allow me to binge watch without any guilt. 

Having the advance knowledge that "it" can happen to any of us, despite being as cautious and careful as we can possibly be, best to be prepared to soften the blow should the phone ring in your stateroom with the voice on the other end saying  "you have tested positive".  

Good idea about downloads.  I just got a new phone for our trip this year as it was necessary; however, we canceled the trip because of the covid before final payment per our doctor's instructions.  

Totally stupid question, but how do you hook up your phone to the TV to watch the downloads?  Can you do that in the rooms?  We tried on the Grand class with a portable DVD player and brought DVDs which all came out new that we didn't see for rainy days and it would not work.  They told us it was not possible.  Hmmmm.

Just now, wowzz said:

Hotels ashore, as provided by the local authorities.  You don't get a choice !

OMG.  I didn't know that.  That was my DH's fear on going we would be left off at port.  I assumed (notice those first three letters of that word) that everyone was quarantined on the ship from the posts on CC!  Thank you for enlightening me.

40 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Good idea about downloads.  I just got a new phone for our trip this year as it was necessary; however, we canceled the trip because of the covid before final payment per our doctor's instructions.  

Totally stupid question, but how do you hook up your phone to the TV to watch the downloads?  Can you do that in the rooms?  We tried on the Grand class with a portable DVD player and brought DVDs which all came out new that we didn't see for rainy days and it would not work.  They told us it was not possible.  Hmmmm.

I actually download them onto my ipad or laptop to watch. I wondered the same thing before if i could connect to their tvs, but didn't work either. 

5 hours ago, mellon1 said:

OMG.  I didn't know that.  That was my DH's fear on going we would be left off at port.  I assumed (notice those first three letters of that word) that everyone was quarantined on the ship from the posts on CC!  Thank you for enlightening me.

Just to add, that the travelling companion of the positive induvudual will also be quarantined ashore,  even if testing negative.  This has major insurance implications, because as the person with a negative test us not ill, insurance cover will not normally cover accomodation,  meals or transport home.

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just to add, that the travelling companion of the positive induvudual will also be quarantined ashore,  even if testing negative.  This has major insurance implications, because as the person with a negative test us not ill, insurance cover will not normally cover accomodation,  meals or transport home.

Won't Princess cover that?

18 minutes ago, CCBB said:

Won't Princess cover that?

Not necessarily.  Their sister company,  P&O (UK) , who obviously have quite a few passengers currently stranded abroad,  have stated that in the first instance you should contact your insurance company (although they know that currently virtually no UK companies offer cover) and if no help is forthcoming,  they will deal with the situation on a case  by case basis. 

In other words, you are on your own, and have to hope that you might get some costs reimbursed in due course, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Edited by wowzz

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not necessarily.  Their sister company,  P&O (UK) , who obviously have quite a few passengers currently stranded abroad,  have stated that in the first instance you should contact your insurance company (although they know that currently virtually no UK companies offer cover) and if no help is forthcoming,  they will deal with the situation on a case  by case basis. 

In other words, you are on your own, and have to hope that you might get some costs reimbursed in due course, but I wouldn't bank on it.

And THAT is why we both have insurance...which includes "our traveling companion"

On 1/11/2022 at 1:21 AM, Labber 2 said:

Don’t pack a puzzle, there are digital puzzle apps!  No lost pieces ore extra space in your luggage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was quarantined in my cabin for three days on the Caribbean Princess in December 2019 (pre-Covid, supposedly). There were plenty of movies to watch on demand. I also had internet access to watch some hockey games, although the speed was not great for one of them. I was sick enough to want to sleep a lot, too. 

Good idea, but does the insurance actually cover your companion if they are not ill, but just having to quarantine ? 

It is a grey area, and one that is not covered by most policies.

You may, for example,  have cruise curtailment cover, but if you are quarantined on day 11 of a 14 day cruise, you will only receive the value of three days of your cruise (usually with a maximum payment level) which is unlikely to cover all the costs involved, especially airfares.

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

There are a lot of Movies on Demand to choose from.  We always find plenty to watch.  A few weeks ago we watched Cruella and really enjoyed it.  

Just to reiterate,  if you are quarantined in Europe, you cannot guarantee that your hotel room tv will show any programmes in English, let alone movies on demand.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just to reiterate,  if you are quarantined in Europe, you cannot guarantee that your hotel room tv will show any programmes in English, let alone movies on demand.  

Sorry, I was talking about on the cruise ship and not a hotel.  The OP said they were going to be on the Majestic Princess which is in California.  

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser