Extending final payment dates for summer cruises?

What do you think the chances of this are?  Our payment date is February 8th for our July Splendor trip, and it's looming--decisions must be made, about cruising to places that are not open to the world right now (Norway, Russia, Denmark, Sweden, etc.)  Any prognostications?

When Regent does extend payment dates, do the penalty dates also change?

We made final payment for the April 5, 2022 Splendor (B2B) in early November (it’s a 21 night sailing) and just received notice that the final payment was extended to 60 days prior to sailing.  However, if you have already made final payment they advised that the penalty  period doesn’t kick in until 60 days prior to sailing.  So we still have options, but with shore excursions, specialty dinners, flights and Venice hotels (non-refundable) already booked it won’t be us that pulls the plug!  

Edited by FengShui@Sea
  • Like 3

The final payment date for our Splendor cruise in May was Dec 7. On Dec 6 Regent moved it to March. Unfortunately, we were not successful in arranging full insurance we wanted (Canadian travel advisories) and we cancelled on Dec 1 - this after our TA asked Regent about an extension, and were told no.

1 minute ago, travlr21 said:

The final payment date for our Splendor cruise in May was Dec 7. On Dec 6 Regent moved it to March. Unfortunately, we were not successful in arranging full insurance we wanted (Canadian travel advisories) and we cancelled on Dec 1 - this after our TA asked Regent about an extension, and were told no.

Thanks.  That is cutting it really close, isn't it?  Really unfair on their part to do it that way, but I'm not surprised.  I'm in the same situation, have just started to negotiate for insurance.

We are booked on Voyager for the April 15 cruise. We have been notified that final payment is now not due until 60 days before departure. Cancellation penalties will not start until 60 prior to departure. It looks like they are trying to minimize cancellations for a few more weeks to see if there is any hope of the cruise going.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

I am clearly disappointed that Regent isn’t extending final payment date on cruises where most of the itinerary is now closed. Matters with Omicron are not improving — they are deteriorating. Ports seem to be closing on a daily basis.

Do you have any Regent cruises booked at this time? If not, how does this affect you?

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, travlr21 said:

We were booked for this cruise and were going to make the final payment on Dec 7th.  It was a great relief when they extended the final payment to March so we could give it some further thought.  We canceled last week.

18 minutes ago, doowopbob said:

We canceled last week.

We actually would have been very happy with the extension until March. We were sailing Monte Carlo to Southampton and then Southampton round trip. Two other couples were joining us on the second leg, and since their cruise is shorter and later than ours their payment was not due until this month I believe, but they also got the extension. They have some time now to consider their trip. C'est la vie.

Great news from Regent today regarding Grand Arctic; although our final payment date did not change, cancellation without penalty was moved to 60 days prior to departure.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR UPCOMING CRUISE

DATE OF ISSUANCE: JANUARY 13, 2022

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Advisor,

The Regent Family looks forward to welcoming you aboard later this year. To offer you more confidence and flexibility, guests booked on our Grand Arctic Adventure may now cancel up to 60 days prior to cruise departure date, without penalty and receive a 100% Refund on amounts paid** at time of cancellation. Refund requests will be processed within 60 days of receipt. Please note, final payment due dates have not changed.

I am definitely a happy camper.

Marc

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Great news from Regent today regarding Grand Arctic; although our final payment date did not change, cancellation without penalty was moved to 60 days prior to departure.

The Regent Family looks forward to welcoming you aboard later this year. To offer you more confidence and flexibility, guests booked on our Grand Arctic Adventure may now cancel up to 60 days prior to cruise departure date, without penalty and receive a 100% Refund on amounts paid** at time of cancellation. Refund requests will be processed within 60 days of receipt. Please note, final payment due dates have not changed.

Marc

They should have done it sooner. We canceled just before the final date……like you. we were told to cut or fish bait. We cut, just didn’t want to risk that much money. European ports are no place to be at this time and there is to much future uncertainty with cases climbing everywhere. I am getting really disappointed with Regent over the delay in which they react to the world situation at least over the deposit issue. Had we known we would have waited it out a little longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

We were happy to see this as well.  It was a real leap of faith to put down that final payment, but I'm glad we did now.  Fingers crossed all goes as planned - or at least mostly as planned!

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, mrlevin said:

My final payment date was 8 January for my 7 June cruise and it was NOT extended and penalty period was not altered.  Not a happy camper.

We are also on a June 7 cruise (Navigator out of NYC) with a final payment date or Jan. 8.  We received an email via our TA from Regent on Dec. 6 changing final payment to 60 days prior.  You should check with your TA since that's where Regent sent the notice.  

Edited by papaflamingo

Just now, papaflamingo said:

We are also on a June 7 cruise (Navigator out of NYC) with a final payment date or Jan. 8.  We received an email via our TA from Regent on Dec. 6 changing final payment to 60 days prior.  You should check with your TA since that's where Regent sent the notice.  

Are you on for the full 94 days or just segments?  It was the Grand Voyage aspect that didn't allow for the delayed final payment and cancellation. As I transferred this over from 2021 it was fully paid a year ago; I wanted the cancellation date changed which Regent has recently changed.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:25 AM, baz48 said:

We were happy to see this as well.  It was a real leap of faith to put down that final payment, but I'm glad we did now.  Fingers crossed all goes as planned - or at least mostly as planned!

Sounds like great news to me! I am glad that you will make it. I hope you will enjoy it at full. Its very promising. Have a great time on this cruise my friend! 

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Are you on for the full 94 days or just segments?  It was the Grand Voyage aspect that didn't allow for the delayed final payment and cancellation. As I transferred this over from 2021 it was fully paid a year ago; I wanted the cancellation date changed which Regent has recently changed.

We are actually starting in Montreal then going all the way to Southampton.  It's a B2B but the second leg is 30 nights so it hit the 150 days prior for Final Payment (first segment, Montreal to NYC is 10 nights for a total of 40 nights).  But as I said, the notice was sent to our TA since they "own" the reservation.  I suppose the Grand Cruise is treated differently (no surprise actually).  That could explain it.  But if you haven't checked with your TA or Regent, you should do so.  

Apologies if this question has been answered somewhere on the Regent board previously.  If Regent changes the final payment date to 60 days prior to sailing, does the final payment date also update/change on your RSSC.com account?