Quiet Roll Calls and sparse bookings ?

Mrs Miggins

I paid the balance last week for our B2B cruise on Quest 16th and and 23rd April.  The roll calls are practically non existent and when I do a trial booking on Azamara there seem to be loads of empty cabins.

Really looking forward to being back on a cruise ship, especially since we had to shift our Viking New Year cruise to September 2022 due to the uncertainty of any shore excursions at all in France for UK cruisers.  In fact they were allowed in the end.

On the other site there have been a few less than favourable reviews of recent Azamara cruises. ie performance of the CD, slow service etc.  

We have always had wonderful Azamara cruises so I hope that we will enjoy their usual great service in April.

19 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I paid the balance last week for our B2B cruise on Quest 16th and and 23rd April.  The roll calls are practically non existent and when I do a trial booking on Azamara there seem to be loads of empty cabins.

Really looking forward to being back on a cruise ship, especially since we had to shift our Viking New Year cruise to September 2022 due to the uncertainty of any shore excursions at all in France for UK cruisers.  In fact they were allowed in the end.

On the other site there have been a few less than favourable reviews of recent Azamara cruises. ie performance of the CD, slow service etc.  

We have always had wonderful Azamara cruises so I hope that we will enjoy their usual great service in April.

Try this Azamara thread: “Anybody onboard currently?”   That’s where most live updates are being posted for Quest and Journey. 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812089-anybody-onboard-currently/page/21/

• Like 3

We cancelled our b2b2b commencing on Aprl 5th about a week before the final.payment was due. We didn't feel able to plan port exploration in ports with the current situation and France looking like a no go for Brits. We can always reconsider and book on the last minute but we enjoy planning, reading the tour guides and booking hire cars, private tours etc. We felt so uncertain about nearly on board if there was little chance to go on shore alone and wander. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

It's funny. I was looking at a cruise today and went to look at the roll calls to see if I knew anyone on the ship. This is for May and I couldn't find  one and surmised that with Omicron the bookings are very slow. I heard an upcoming will have 70 guests on the ship.   

If I book I am not going to worry about reviews. I never read them as I know the product and don't want to stress further. Just have to accept it's not going to be the usual experience, but then what is these days?

Phil 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

By the way, if you have the time to scroll back through the postings (on that other thread) for the previous Quest cruise (Dec 23  - Jan 7… 516 pax), you will see updates on both the positive COVID cases that occurred onboard, as well as the stellar service and communication by Captain Johannes and ALL the staff, despite the circumstances.  We were glad we took the cruise, and hope all the postings on the other thread give you a better sense of what’s happening onboard.  We are still VERY PLEASED with Azamara 😎🚢

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, manc said:

We cancelled our b2b2b commencing on Aprl 5th about a week before the final.payment was due. We didn't feel able to plan port exploration in ports with the current situation and France looking like a no go for Brits. We can always reconsider and book on the last minute but we enjoy planning, reading the tour guides and booking hire cars, private tours etc. We felt so uncertain about nearly on board if there was little chance to go on shore alone and wander. 

That’s true - it’s a lot easier for you to book last minute being so close not as easy coming from the US.  I have a feeling the ship will be pretty empty but for me so much of this trip is seeing the ports.  We may get the best service we’ve ever had.  I am at a point where just being on the ship and seeing new sights will be such a pleasure after sitting at home for 2 years.  Hope you do end up jumping on to the Apr 5 sailing!

Edited by Skicruiser55
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's funny. I was looking at a cruise today and went to look at the roll calls to see if I knew anyone on the ship. This is for May and I couldn't find  one and surmised that with Omicron the bookings are very slow. I heard an upcoming will have 70 guests on the ship.

Phil 

Nothing like getting an almost yacht cruise experience  for a premium cruise price. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks Jeffrey, I will check it out! Sad to be home!

Yeh, the day after the cruise, I woke up, put my mask on, and headed for Mosaic Coffee Bar at 7:30am sharp, for my first cup of coffee, only to realize I was in my own kitchen!!!  UGH, hate when that happens! 🤣🤣🤣😎🚢

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Having been on the Quest in November, I can honestly say that I saw no difference in the level of service.  Stellar as always.  I find that I am not posting on the roll calls because we are not interested in sharing excursions with people we don't know.  Even though everyone is vaccinated, we are still hesitant to spend time in a vehicle with people we aren't already traveling with.  Part of the roll call process has always been to get a group together for an excursion - that's how we have met some amazing friends.  Until this whole COVID thing is in the rear-view, we won't be sharing excursions with anyone other than our traveling companions.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crzrr said:

Having been on the Quest in November, I can honestly say that I saw no difference in the level of service.  Stellar as always.  I find that I am not posting on the roll calls because we are not interested in sharing excursions with people we don't know.  Even though everyone is vaccinated, we are still hesitant to spend time in a vehicle with people we aren't already traveling with.  Part of the roll call process has always been to get a group together for an excursion - that's how we have met some amazing friends.  Until this whole COVID thing is in the rear-view, we won't be sharing excursions with anyone other than our traveling companions.  

For me, roll calls are more than setting up excursions. It’s getting to know fellow cruisers and then meeting them in person at the CC Meet and Greet. It’s great to start a cruise already knowing a few people.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

For me, roll calls are more than setting up excursions. It’s getting to know fellow cruisers and then meeting them in person at the CC Meet and Greet. It’s great to start a cruise already knowing a few people.

And lots of people are afraid of going to a Meet and Greet because of Covid.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, crzrr said:

For us, it’s the idea of being on a required cruise excursion bus if we want to visit ports. Doesn’t seem logical to me in terms of safety, but we, like you, travel DIY or private. Our roll calls are basically silent. Probably for the reasons stated here of that is atypical for Azamara. 

A question for Phil (ExcitedofHarpendon) - are you able to tell us which is the imminent cruise with only 70 passengers, and if there is a danger of it being cancelled? - I am currently packing for the Canaries!
And Mrs Miggins - we are also on the Quest 23 April, but haven’t been on the roll call yet.

Lynne

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And lots of people are afraid of going to a Meet and Greet because of Covid.

At ours, we were masked and socially distanced, but it was held in the library. Probably would have been better to hold it in the Cabaret.

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

At ours, we were masked and socially distanced, but it was held in the library. Probably would have been better to hold it in the Cabaret.

On my Oceania cruise starting tomorrow, the M&G has been moved to an outdoors location and limited to 30 attendees.  We originally had over 70 signed up, but many cancelled the cruise and lots of others bailed on the M&G so 30 turned out to be just about right.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

In the past M&G have been held in the Cabaret when large numbers are expected and in the Library / Drawing Room when expected numbers have been low.

It does help when planning the event if people have signed up for the event, rather than just turn up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On my Oceania cruise starting tomorrow, the M&G has been moved to an outdoors location and limited to 30 attendees.  We originally had over 70 signed up, but many cancelled the cruise and lots of others bailed on the M&G so 30 turned out to be just about right.

I have good friends on that cruise!  Have fun

• Thanks 1

Service on board has been excellent. I wouldn't worry about your experience.

If you have particular concerns about ship shore excursions then I'd recommend having a chat with the shore ex team on day 1 to find out which tours will be busy etc. Shorex have been the only area where I've had a slight issue. Everything else is great. 

• Like 2