Internet Plans Purchased in advanced or once on the ship

trbarton

Does anyone know if the advance internet package purchased in advanced is a better deal than buying it on the ship. Perhaps someone who has purchased it for a 7 day cruise once on the ship will have the price. 

The advanced price is $69.79

Thanks!

Tom😀

I just paid this price on my Medallion for cruise next week...Paid for 1 device I wonder if its 1 device for me or for 1 device each for both of us.

Last cruise it took several phone calls pre cruise to find someone who could order Internet for me ,then I got 50% back as OBC as Elite .

Sorry I cannot answer you questions but have some myself ...

21 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I just paid this price on my Medallion for cruise next week...Paid for 1 device I wonder if its 1 device for me or for 1 device each for both of us.

Last cruise it took several phone calls pre cruise to find someone who could order Internet for me ,then I got 50% back as OBC as Elite .

Sorry I cannot answer you questions but have some myself ...

If you purchased a plan for 1 device then only 1 device can be logged in at a time.  Two of you can share the 1 device plan by having one person log off and the other log on using your log on.  

If you each want to remain logged on all the time then you would each need your own single device plan or 1 plan that covers up to 4 devices.

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

If you purchased a plan for 1 device then only 1 device can be logged in at a time.  Two if you can share the 1 device plan by having one person log off and the other log on using your log on.  

If you each want to remain logged on all the time then you would each need your own single device plan or 1 plan that covers up to 4 devices.

Thank You ..

1 minute ago, san diego sue said:

I just purchased a one device plan in advance of our cruise next week. We are Elite. Had to pay full price for it. Do we automatically get the 50% discount on our account once on board? My credit card was charged right away.

That is what should happen.  Most people on Cruise Critic have indicated that the OBC showed up when they boarded ( some have had it non- refundable others correctly see refundable OBC).   In the early return to sailing some people mentioned they had to go to Guest Services to get the discount but it seems that issue is resolved.

4 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I just purchased a one device plan in advance of our cruise next week. We are Elite. Had to pay full price for it. Do we automatically get the 50% discount on our account once on board? My credit card was charged right away.

Yes, it will show up as a credit in your own board account.  Will be no refundable as it is considered a discount.   Similar with excursions.

5 hours ago, trbarton said:

Does anyone know if the advance internet package purchased in advanced is a better deal than buying it on the ship. Perhaps someone who has purchased it for a 7 day cruise once on the ship will have the price. 

The advanced price is $69.79

Thanks!

Tom😀

Yes, $10/day if purchase in advance.  Price is $15/day on board - if booking for the full voyage.  Otherwise $20/day for individual day(s). 

Because they still have not updated MC App to recognize CC Member Level, the pre-cruise price is to be offered Day 1 on board (embarkation day) and then the price changes after that. 

(See more below to answer your other question).

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It should be cheaper to pre-order and get OBC for being Elite/Platinum.  The question:  will it be refundable or non-refundable credit.  It has been inconsistent between ships.

It is a Refundable Credit - this is so that everyone is treated fairly.  It is also consistent with those who book on board and are only charged the net cost.  Yes, some errors occurred when some ships first started to sail, but I have not read any recent issues.  If you do not get it Refundable, then raise a stink - unless you were going to burn it up anyway.

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Yes, you automatically get Refundable OBC posted to account.  AFAIK, the early blips on a couple of ships have been rectified.  Eventually, the MC App will recognize our CC Level and only charge us the net 50% cost.

2 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

That is what should happen.  Most people on Cruise Critic have indicated that the OBC showed up when they boarded ( some have had it non- refundable others correctly see refundable OBC).   In the early return to sailing some people mentioned they had to go to Guest Services to get the discount but it seems that issue is resolved.

Yes, as far as I can tell (a lack of postings on the matter), the early issues on a couple of ships were corrected.  HQ was certainly made aware of the problem and presumably corrected procedure on the ships.  It is Refundable OBC since we are being over-charged and waiting for a refund.  If you pay on board, you are only charged the net cost without any OBC involved.

2 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Yes, it will show up as a credit in your own board account.  Will be no refundable as it is considered a discount.   Similar with excursions.

No - it is Refundable.  If you did not get it that way, then you should have talked to Guest Services and had them get the facts from Customer Relations.

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Does anyone know the difference btw buying one week in advance vs buying it onboard?  What’s the cost for both ways before & onboard?

Thanks!

Tom😀

Advance Purchase:

1-device = $10/day

4-device = $20/day

On-Board (DAY 1 only - at least until MC App charges the net 50%):

Same prices as above.

On-Board (regular):

1-device = $15/day

4-device = $25/day

Single Day-At-A-Time = $20/day

A couple can share a 1-device plan - as long as they are happy with only one of them being connected at any moment.

A couple can buy one 4-device plan for the same cost as two 1-device plans (actually cheaper when looking at the on-board pricing).  That way, not only are you on at the same time, but you could have both a smartphone and a PC connected at once using the extra available "slots".

PLUS Upgrade:

If you have the PLUS, it gives 1-device plan free, but you can upgrade on-board to a 4-device plan for $10/day.

All internet prices are 50% off for Platinum/Elite.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, $10/day if purchase in advance.  Price is $15/day on board - if booking for the full voyage.  Otherwise $20/day for individual day(s). 

Because they still have not updated MC App to recognize CC Member Level, the pre-cruise price is to be offered Day 1 on board (embarkation day) and then the price changes after that. 

(See more below to answer your other question).

It is a Refundable Credit - this is so that everyone is treated fairly.  It is also consistent with those who book on board and are only charged the net cost.  Yes, some errors occurred when some ships first started to sail, but I have not read any recent issues.  If you do not get it Refundable, then raise a stink - unless you were going to burn it up anyway.

Yes, you automatically get Refundable OBC posted to account.  AFAIK, the early blips on a couple of ships have been rectified.  Eventually, the MC App will recognize our CC Level and only charge us the net 50% cost.

Yes, as far as I can tell (a lack of postings on the matter), the early issues on a couple of ships were corrected.  HQ was certainly made aware of the problem and presumably corrected procedure on the ships.  It is Refundable OBC since we are being over-charged and waiting for a refund.  If you pay on board, you are only charged the net cost without any OBC involved.

No - it is Refundable.  If you did not get it that way, then you should have talked to Guest Services and had them get the facts from Customer Relations.

Advance Purchase:

1-device = $10/day

4-device = $20/day

On-Board (DAY 1 only - at least until MC App charges the net 50%):

Same prices as above.

On-Board (regular):

1-device = $15/day

4-device = $25/day

Single Day-At-A-Time = $20/day

A couple can share a 1-device plan - as long as they are happy with only one of them being connected at any moment.

A couple can buy one 4-device plan for the same cost as two 1-device plans (actually cheaper when looking at the on-board pricing).  That way, not only are you on at the same time, but you could have both a smartphone and a PC connected at once using the extra available "slots".

PLUS Upgrade:

If you have the PLUS, it gives 1-device plan free, but you can upgrade on-board to a 4-device plan for $10/day.

All internet prices are 50% off for Platinum/Elite.

Thanks for all of your information. 

I went onto my Medallion app to see where I can purchase the internet. I didn’t see anything. Where do I look?

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

I was waiting for @Steelers36to weigh in.  I was on one of the first Grand voyages.  I fought tooth and nail to get my "non" refundable credit to apply as refundable.  No go.  Up the chain: 

Internet Manager, go see Captain Circle Rep

Captain Circle Rep:  I will send a message out to Corporate and get back to you.  Never did

But Customer Service Desk called me to let me know it was NON-refundable.

Gave up fighting since it was such a short cruise and I "spent" it on Gratuities.

Forgive the old terminologies.  Too old to learn new words.  I sure hope it has changed.  Not worried, next two cruises, I'm drinking my way through with Princess Plus.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was waiting for @Steelers36to weigh in.  I was on one of the first Grand voyages.  I fought tooth and nail to get my "non" refundable credit to apply as refundable.  No go.  Up the chain: 

Internet Manager, go see Captain Circle Rep

Captain Circle Rep:  I will send a message out to Corporate and get back to you.  Never did

But Customer Service Desk called me to let me know it was NON-refundable.

Gave up fighting since it was such a short cruise and I "spent" it on Gratuities.

Forgive the old terminologies.  Too old to learn new words.  I sure hope it has changed.  Not worried, next two cruises, I'm drinking my way through with Princess Plus.

Yes and I recall reading about your "adventures" with the on board personnel.  All I can say is how it is supposed to be working. 

I think majority posting here book the PLUS and therefore don't encounter the issue.  I am interested in the details because we don't book the PLUS, but always book internet.

• Like 1

Pre-purchased wifi / shore excursions & got refundable OBC on both of my cruises (Majestic 8/15/21 & Ruby 12/9/21). I went over OBC anyway. It was weird about the shore excursions as I 'bought' with shareholder OBC but got refundable credit .... but I digressed 🙄

Edited by Ombud
Missed 2nd '
  • Like 1

I sailed last month and the first day on board the discount was NOT offered. The internet tech told me it had to be purchased pre-cruise. I told him I didn't use the APP and therefore couldn't do it pre cruise. He gave me the credit on my account after charging full price to bring it to the $5 daily and said it was an exception.

• Like 1

Curious, We're sailing out on the Ruby on the 31st this is the first time they've offered us the free internet (one device x2) for my wife & I... How is the "best internet at sea" anyways? I've seen their promotional videos where the whole ship is pulling down 160gbit (which seems insane) and everyone on the ship is facetiming and streaming on youtube. is that video wildly unrealistic? am I going to be struggling to load websites? or is it "ok".

Just off Enchanted Jan 9th.  Purchased before with App.  Elite.  My discount showed on my onboard account first day.  Same for the 10% discount on excursions I bought before.

Service worked great!  I could even watch TV on my YouTubeTV app!!  
Food for thought - working great with all the lower capacity - could be different once back to normal passenger loads….

FYI - On another note - I read on CC to make sure and check your account every couple days - was easy to do on the App.  I found several charges that were not mine.  Could be hazard of crew tapping wrong guest on their hand held devices.

I was charged twice for some sort of Princess Cays expense (did not get off ship) and a drink at the Sky Pool.  Not me, we had soda package and do not drink.

Customer relations took them off - no problem.

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I sailed last month and the first day on board the discount was NOT offered. The internet tech told me it had to be purchased pre-cruise. I told him I didn't use the APP and therefore couldn't do it pre cruise. He gave me the credit on my account after charging full price to bring it to the $5 daily and said it was an exception.

Thanks for reporting this.  I suggest you write to CustomerRelations@PrincessCruises.com and report the ship name, sail date, and the IT Mgr name involved.  My understanding is this is PCL policy for the reasons of difficulty calling in to book internet and the fact that MC App is charging the full rate still.  It was implemented when MC App didn't even have the pre-order option.  If it happens on the ship, I would try the Captain's Circle rep and hopefully they know the correct policy and also raise it with Passenger Services.  Unless HQ has recently changed policy, I have been assured twice last year that this is the policy.

You could have even said the App was not working for you and calling in took forever on hold, etc, etc.  I think Princess is taking a good route for now in the Day 1 policy.  I can see that folks in your situation - without access to MC App won't be able to order even when the pricing is changed in the App to only charge 50%.

That said, Princess is working on a website-based version of MC App functions for pre-cruise items and hopefully they will return internet ordering to the Cruise Personalizer as it was pre-MC App days.

In that case, you should be able to pre-order at the 50% rate and they could get rid of the Day 1 offer.

Those few who use no computers at all could phone in and order on-board services just as they can today.  In time, phone system should settle down as things return to normal in a post-Covid world (likely a living-with-Covid world).

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That said, Princess is working on a website-based version of MC App functions for pre-cruise items and hopefully they will return internet ordering to the Cruise Personalizer as it was pre-MC App days.

In that case, you should be able to pre-order at the 50% rate and they could get rid of the Day 1 offer.

Those few who use no computers at all could phone in and order on-board services just as they can today.  In time, phone system should settle down as things return to normal in a post-Covid world (likely a living-with-Covid world).

Any word on when this web based personalizer will be up and running?  It's the middle of January (announced for October/November/first quarter 2022).  I rely on your great posts.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Any word on when this web based personalizer will be up and running?  It's the middle of January (announced for October/November/first quarter 2022).  I rely on your great posts.  Thanks.

I have no idea at all.  Have not even asked about it for some time now.  Q1 ends MAR 31, so YGIAGAM.  Try the Magic 8-Ball - it might have an answer.  LOL.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

FYI - On another note - I read on CC to make sure and check your account every couple days - was easy to do on the App.  I found several charges that were not mine.  Could be hazard of crew tapping wrong guest on their hand held devices.

I was charged twice for some sort of Princess Cays expense (did not get off ship) and a drink at the Sky Pool.  Not me, we had soda package and do not drink.

Customer relations took them off - no problem.

I'm still waiting for customer services to take off a charge that was not mine from more than a month ago. I made the mistake of not checking my final statement while on board. I had checked it the last afternoon, but not the last morning. 

anyone else have a problem with purchasing on the app prior to sailing?  My app is so glitchy.  Says credit card declined. I've added 2 of them and same thing.  The app took my medallion order with no problem.  I'll just wait til I board I guess and hope for the best then.